Favorite recipes/books

Options
vegansara
vegansara Posts: 192 Member
What are some of your favorite things to make raw? What are your raw staples?

Replies

• vegansara
    Options
    Ok, I'll start:

Author: Alissa Cohen
    Book: Living on Live Food

Ingredients:

3 cups sunflower seeds, soaked 8-12 hours and sprouted for 2-4 hours
    1 c lemon juice
    1/2 c scallions
    1/4 - 1/2 c tahini
    1/4 c braggs aminos
    2-4 slices red onion, cut in chunks
    4-6 TBSP coarsely chopped parsley
    2-3 med cloves garlic
    1/2 tsp cayenne pepper or more to taste
    1-2 TBSP ginger juice optional
    t tsp ground cumin (optional)
    Directions:

In a food processor blend all ingredients until smooth
    Will keep in the fridge for 10-14 days
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'll start:

Author: Alissa Cohen
    Book: Living on Live Food

Ingredients:

3 cups sunflower seeds, soaked 8-12 hours and sprouted for 2-4 hours
    1 c lemon juice
    1/2 c scallions
    1/4 - 1/2 c tahini
    1/4 c braggs aminos
    2-4 slices red onion, cut in chunks
    4-6 TBSP coarsely chopped parsley
    2-3 med cloves garlic
    1/2 tsp cayenne pepper or more to taste
    1-2 TBSP ginger juice optional
    t tsp ground cumin (optional)
    Directions:

In a food processor blend all ingredients until smooth
    Will keep in the fridge for 10-14 days

That sounds SOOOO good! Do you eat it like a dip with raw crackers or veggies?

Here's my fave raw salad:

Mash together: 1 avocado, a couple TB maple syrup, raw tahini, and juice from half a lemon.

Add to Spinach or mixed greens & berries. Nuts or seeds are yummy to add as well.

---oh, but maybe pure maple syrup isn't considered raw??
  • vegansara
    Options

That sounds SOOOO good! Do you eat it like a dip with raw crackers or veggies?

Yep, I eat it with either jicama usually or raw flax crackers that are really easy to make in the dehydrator. Your salad looks great!
  • vegangirl01060811
    Options
    Sara, what kind of dehydrator do you use? I want to get one, but I keep reading bad reviews on them about how they over heat and melt the trays, or are really loud, or that hte plastic that they use leeches out on to the food and is toxic lol.
  • vegansara
    Options
    Sara, what kind of dehydrator do you use? I want to get one, but I keep reading bad reviews on them about how they over heat and melt the trays, or are really loud, or that hte plastic that they use leeches out on to the food and is toxic lol.

I have an excalibur. It has been great, absolutely no issues, I love it! It is a little loud, but it's just sort of a humming sound . . . I don't mind it. But it is definitely audible.
  • beckystahnke
    beckystahnke Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    My favorite raw food author is Ani Phyo. Her books are amazing, simple, easy to read and easy to follow.

Some raw smoothie recipes I've come up with:

Mixed Berry Smoothie (makes 1 large serving):

Blue Diamond - Unsweetened Almond Milk, 1 cup (make your own almond mylk for 100% raw)
    Navitas Naturals - Organic Raw Cacao Power, 2 Tbsp
    Dole - Pitted Dates, 5 -6 dates
    365 Organic - Frozen Mixed Berries - Frozen Mixed Berries, 1/2 cup
    Garden of Life - Raw Protein Beyond Organic Protein Formula, 1/2 scoop
    Whole Foods Organic - Raw Agave Nectar, 1 Tbsp (omit agave for 100% raw and replace w/dates or banana)
    Go Coconut! Raw - Sun Dried - Organic Shredded Coconut, 1 Tbsp

Blend all ingredients and voila! 334 calories, 8 grams fat, 12 grams protein, 11 grams fiber, 63 carbs, 193 mg sodium

Cacao Cashew Kream (adapted from Ani Phyo's recipe):

Raw Cashews - Raw Cashews, 1 cup
    Navitas Naturals - Organic Raw Cacao Power, 2 Tbsp
    Go Coconut! Raw - Sun Dried - Organic Shredded Coconut, 3 Tbsp
    Dole - Pitted Dates, 10 dates
    Blue Diamond - Unsweetened Almond Milk, 1 cup

Blend all ingredient until smooth. Add more milk as necessary. Makes 4 servings - be careful, it's not low calorie!
    Per serving: 270 calories, 16 g fat, 7 g protein, 4 g fiber, 29 carbs, 53 mg sodium
    Goes well with fresh or frozen fruit. Chill before serving.

I use the same basic ingredients for all my smoothies - start with a frozen fruit, and add whatever flavors you like. I am not a huge fan of all the sugar in smoothies, so I try to at least limit the sugar to natural fruit sugars in dates and bananas. You can go crazy with the smoothies - the possibilities are endless! Try banana chocolate, chocolate covered cherry, mixed berry protein w/raw protein powder, pina colada with frozen pineapple and coconut milk. Add flaxseed for extra fiber, raw coconut flakes for sweetness and texture. Dates are delicious as you'll get chunks of them throughout the smoothie. :)
  • vegansara
    Options
    I just made raw almond milk this weekend for the first time - so delicious and easy, but a little pricey. Also, I don't know how "raw" it actually is but I believe it is healthier than store bought.

1 bag raw organic almonds from trader joe's - 12 oz - soaked overnight
    2 vanilla beans, seeds included (I'm lazy, why not include the seeds?)
    5 or 6 dates
    4 cups water

Put them all in the vitamix or food processor or blender if your blender can handle it, and whirr it away until it's all smooth. Then squeeze out the liquid using a nut milk or sprouting bag, or cheesecloth if that's what you've got. Super delicious! Then I took the leftover almond meal and made little cookies in the dehydrator. In the future I'll add more dates and maybe some chia seeds or maple syrup or something . . . they're a little bland but not bad tasting.