Introduction!

Options
2»

Replies

• NothingCanShakeME
    Options
    Hey Yall. I'm Kristina and I have two special daughters. My 5 yr old has mostly mental health problems but a little bit of muscle weakness, vision problems, some hearing loss, severe reflux, and is currently being tested for Hirschsprung's Disease. My 3 yr old has SPD, Developmental Dyspraxia (aka the clumsy kid disorder), reflux, seizures, low muscle tone, tow walks, and numerous other problems. She is being evaluated for possible Lupus or JRA.

I am just at the beginning of this weight loss journey but it's nice to be in a place with people that understand what this life is like and why its not easy 'just do 30 min a day' of a workout. I do what I can in the time I have and pray that is enough.
  • MrsR0SE
    MrsR0SE Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Hi - great to meet you both - welcome to mfp, you'll find it a friendly place and a great help to losing the weight and becoming fitter and healthier - feel free to add me if you want more friends x
  • hollyjane77
    Options
    Hello other moms :-) My name is Holly. I live in upstate NY and am a proud mom of two boys (ages 5 & 3) and 1 girl (age 2). Both of my sons receive special services. My 5 year old son has some features of autism (difficulty in social situations, difficulty with transitions, and sensory processing issues) as well as fine motor delays, but no official diagnosis at this time - he is being re-evaluated later this month. My 3 year old son has a diagnosis of PDD-NOS. He has a significant speech delay (but has been making good progress with speech therapy). He also has a fine motor delay and sensory processing disorder. So far, I think my daughter is developing typically, but just to make sure, she's being evaluated by Early Intervention on Monday. I've been reading your introduction posts. You are all amazing. So happy to find this group :-) I joined MFP back in March, but my oldest son was hospitalized in May (with asthma-related issues) and I had a hard time getting back on track. I'm back and trying to be focused now. I have about 80 pounds to lose after 3 c-sections and stress eating :-/ I love having new friends :-) Please feel free to add me!
  • SarahAFerguson
    SarahAFerguson Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies! So glad to find this group :). My name is Sarah and I have a two year old daughter, Rachel, who has Down Syndrome. She is absolutely adorable. I have two older daughters. Katie is 10 and has dyslexia. Hannah is six and has various food issues. We suspect that she has Celiac. I am blessed to have a wonderfully supportive family. Both my sister in law and one of my sisters also have special needs kids so we have a built in support group. Altogether I have four nephews who are on the autism spectrum. Some of the adults have special needs from anxiety and depression to Asbergers to ADHD. We are a special bunch :P
  • dtpurvis
    dtpurvis Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    HI my name is Tracey and I am mom to two wonderful kiddos , my son is 6 and has Down syndrome with other health issues. I want to get healthy and be a good example for them and am wondering how other moms with differently abled children do it!
  • lovinglifemore
    lovinglifemore Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Howdy!

Brenda in Ontario Canada. I have 3 kids, a girl 7, a boy 4 with autism, and another boy 18 months (waiting to see). Pretty new here, need to get in shape (once and for all) to keep up with my angels...I want to be around as long as possible to take care of my special little guy.

I have a question which is not necessarily related: Does your weight ticker show up automatically when you post in a forum or do you have to do something to make it appear?

Very happy to find a group of moms who can related to my challenges!
  • MrsR0SE
    Options

I have a question which is not necessarily related: Does your weight ticker show up automatically when you post in a forum or do you have to do something to make it appear?

Hi Brenda - welcome to mfp! If you want your ticker to show at the bottom of forum posts, just look up to where it says home/recent post/my topics/settings/search and select settings - you can turn it on from there :)

Have a great day!

Rose (from Wales)
    x
  • ToBeCountry
    ToBeCountry Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Mom to Mackenzie, age 8. Rett Syndrome.
  • nals34
    nals34 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, My name is Naleeni we live in Maple Ridge BC Canada. I have two boys, our youngest is 6 years old and he was born premature. Our older son is 8 years old and is a great big brother. Our younger son is deaf-blind and suffers from many medical issues such as hydrocephalus, cerebral palsy, hypercalcemia and has severe ROP. There is more but it's too much to list. For many years we had frequent admissions to our Childrens Hospital so of course watching my own health was not important at all. Now that he's older his health has improved and we visit the hospital less. So it's time to get back in shape! Our little one is also non-ambulatory, so he has a lot of equipment to lift a wheelchair, stander, walker and bike. It's a lot of lifting. I'm glad to have some support while making all these personal changes.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I hope it's ok that I hopped on board with this group!

I'm Krista, and I'm mom to Zachary who is 7 and was diagnosed as ADHD 2 years ago. It's a struggle, he is medicated during the day, and I really wasn't given the tools I should have when he was diagnosed. It's a day-to-day kind of thing.

I also have a 3 year old little spitfire of a girl hehe she doesn't get near the attention that Zachary gets, but we have girls days out and whatnot.
    I'm in Nova Scotia :)
  • carolose46
    carolose46 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    My name is Carolyne from Canada.
    Single mom of a beautiful 13 years old boy with cerebellar hypoplasia. he does not talk or walk but pushes his wheelchair. He loves to cuddle but has the adolescent changes bring his temper on each end of the spectrum.
    because of severe hypotonia, just a simple cold brings his system low and for exemple he is often out of school because too tired to sit in his wheelchair all day.

I struggle to find some time where I am not exhausted to try to lose all the emotion eating binge weight I have put on in the last 13 years!

I am glad to be with other super moms.
    Thanks,
    Caro ;)
  • MrsR0SE
    Options
    Nice to meet you Caro xx
  • carolose46
    Options
    Nice to meet you all! :flowerforyou:
  • carolose46
    Options
    Nice to meet you! I'm Melanie. I am the mother of a Special Needs daughter, 18 yrs old. I live in Scottsdale, AZ My husband is currently having to live in Beaufort, SC, because that is the only place he could get a job. I guess services for special needs kids are pretty bad in SC. They are pretty good in Arizona, but she still takes up most of my time, except for when she is at school. Here they can continue to go to school until they turn 23. My daughter is partial trisomy 13. She is deaf/blind, non verbal, mild CP, seizure disorder, and developmentally about 18 months old. Has many, many other problems, but these are some of the major ones.

Most of the time, she is so sick that it takes all of my energy to just care for her. At least that's what I tell myself. I think I just feel overwhelmed by all there is to do and there doesn't ever seem to be a break in it. Right now, she is doing better physically, so I am trying to get my act together and get healthier for her and for myself. The doctor says that I'm not going to be around to care for her if I don't change my eating/exercise habits. Then he said,"Maybe that's the way you want it...." No, that's not the way I want it. It's just one more thing that I have to pile onto my plate!

I think I understand in my own way. My son doesn't walk, talk and he has little muscle tone, he is in diapers and is not able to feed himself alone. He is 5,4 tall at 13 yrs old and already weigths 165 pounds. I am a single mom. He is at home since two weeks because of a bronchatis .
    As soon as he gets something, his muscle tone drops and he cannot be in his wheelchair for more than an hour at a time.
    Like you I am exhausted most of the time but see life very positively. ( that I don' know how Lol!)
    Since every bit of movement counts for calorie burning. I log ex: cooking prep 15 min. when I transfert him it is like lifting 160 pounds each time so I log this as lifting and I follow the 1300calories (for me) plus eating my exercice weight.

I encourage you to keep going to your own pace. Each grams lost is an even bigger victory because it is so much more difficult since everyday is also a mental challenge as well.
    I am sending you lot's of love.
    Take care,

Carolyne (french from canada so excuse my writing) :flowerforyou:
  • mmommymusings
    mmommymusings Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have five kids ages 18,10,7,6 and 18 months. The first two are girls and the rest are boys. The youngest two have special needs. Our 6 year old has sensory processing disorder, ADHD, developmental delays and Artrial Septal Defect. The baby also has ASD but he also has Spinal Muscular Atrophy which is a rare form of Muscular Dystrophy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinal_muscular_atrophy)
    I am a SAHM who likes to collect antiques books, read, travel and spend time with my family.
    I weigh 180 and would like to get to 110.
  • marinatan1982
    marinatan1982 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    i'm a mom of a 20 months old boy. He was a micro-preemie, plenty surgeries, lots of time on vent. He is g-tube dependent and might have a mild cp and dev delays... takes a lot of time to go to all the therapies and med appointments. The first year was particularly hard.

Hopefully, I can find some time to get myself in a better shape.
  • Weeblessings
    Weeblessings Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm new to the group. My name is Carlena. I'm a SAHM of 4 kids( 15.5/13.5/6.5 and 3), who have a varity of needs. On top of many food allergies (gluten, dairy, egg, peanut, and we follow the feingold diet), my oldest and only daughter has Asperger's, my oldest son has 2 TBI's and a birth injury to the brain, we suspect the 3rd child of having ADHD like me, and our youngest we also suspect is on the Autism spectrum. We are currently on waiting lists to have the younger two evauated. My husband works for one of the Railroad companies and therefore is gone 75% of the time (only home on weekends)

It's nice to find a group of parents trying to get healthy and lose weight all while trying to care for the kids.
  • ashleyneumueller
    Options
    Hi everyone my name is Ashley! I am 24 years old and a mother to a very special little boy born with a very rare genetic growth disorder, Russel Silver Syndrome. He is the bet thing that has ever happened to me but with everything we face with him it it hard to find time for myself. I can't live this way any longer and need to get this weight off! I hope I can do this so I can be a better mom for him!
  • Trishrunnerhi
    Trishrunnerhi Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi Ashley,

I don't know how active this group is, but I'd love to "chat". Sometimes this can be a lonely road, so I welcome the camaraderie.

I have 4 kids and my youngest, who just turned 13, was born with a single ventricle heart defect. He only has his right ventricle, the smaller of the two. He's had 4 open heart surgeries and barely survived 3 of them. It's been a rough road. I can only pray that the worst of it is behind us.

But because of all the complications and months and months on a respirator... I don't think there's any medical procedure or device my son hasn't encountered along the way-- he's left with a lot of issues. He has global learning disabilities, sensory issues, cognitive delays, bilateral hearing loss, paralyzed vocal cord, he's thankfully off the G tube that he had for 5 years, and I could go on and on and on.

So try to lose weight with that in the background? Sometimes I can, sometimes I can't. I lost 60 lbs 4 years ago, and then this last year had a string of deaths and tragedies that got the best of me, and I gained back 30 of it.

so I'm back to keep trying.

I've heard of Russel Silver Synrome-- I think some of the people on the Gtube yahoo group I was on had kids with that diagnosis, but I don't know a lot about it. It's neurologic, isn't it?

Is anyone else still here? I'd love to meet other moms with special kiddos.

Trish