Welcome

Options

Replies

• lydian8
    lydian8 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Lenore. I'm 43, and I started taking weightloss seriously in March when I topped out at 361. MFP has been the lynch pin in my ability to keep up this weight loss. I have lost 69 pounds so far and have a very long way to go. I found out in my 20s that weight training is very good for me, like magic bullet good. My body and brain respond so positively to it, I am amazed that I walk away from it so easy. But when I stop caring about my body, I pretty much do it completely. Well, those days are over and I'm ready to see this through for the rest of my life. I started lifting again this week. I am suprised that my body is so forgiving and I am still able to work pretty hard. I want to do it right. I'm a big lady, not just weight wise, but I'm 5' 10" with a very large frame. I am not excusing my obesity. I am honestly built like a linebacker. With that in mind, I want to make sure that I give my body the heavy weight it loves, but not so much that I look like a man when muscle building.I did that in high school. I had a stupid condition that required I take steroids for 8 months. Back then I was swimming a mile in a half hour. One day I was looking at my back in the mirror, and traps and intercostals were so big I would have thought it was a man in a girl's swimsuit. I'm not interested in being a body builder. I just want to push heavy things and get as fit as possible for someone who has been obese pretty much all her life. Hoping I can learn and ask stupid questions here without feeling like an idiot.

Thanks,

Lenore
  • slowlow1
    slowlow1 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm new to this group. I am hoping that this will be a great place to get some information. I have been doing Body Pump for a while but I am not sure that this is really considered lifting (seems more like cardio). I like the class but I am really looking to tone up and I want to get some information, help and support while doing it. Looking forward to becoming friends with some of the members of the group to find out what is working for them and to start taking steps to building muscle.
  • kf5ljp
    Options
    Hi I'm Kevin age 57 and got a pretty good start on weight loss but am looking for some advice on strength training.
  • KristinNicole82
    KristinNicole82 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Hi, My name is Kristin and I am 31 years old. I currently live outside of Detroit and have become addicted to the gym. I have been watching my diet and working out for about a year now but in the last 6 months I have really turned up the heat and started training hard. I am down to about 16% body fat but want to see more definition, my goal being 13-14%. I recently started to lift heavier and more frequently.
  • DaveEnberg
    DaveEnberg Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Dave. I've been working on a new years resolution to lose 72 lbs. I'm 53, 5'6" and started out at 242lbs. and have lost 66lbs so far. I exercise 6 days a week. At first I did only cardio but about 5 weeks ago I added strength training to my training.I currently do my strength training 3 times a week and do cardio on the other days. I not trying to become a body builder just tone up and lose fat. My current strength training rotine is leg press, calf press, push ups , dips , overhand pull ups and chin ups. I rest 45 seconds between set to keep my heart rate up and finish off with 25 mins. of cardio. I use the assited pull up machine at the gym for the dips and overhand pull ups my body weight for chin ups and push ups and the leg press machine and the calf press machine. I would just do squats for my legs but I have a very bad back and don,t want do anything that puts my back in compression. Any advice on work outs would be great.Thank you Dave
  • Jleonra
    Options
    Hi, I'm Juan, 28 yo engineer from Mexico. I started losing weight at the beginning of the year and a couple of months ago I joined the gym, and been doing Starting Strength ever since. Slow progress though, since I'm on a cut, and will be for a little while, but I feel great about myself and love lifting.
  • Ossodog
    Ossodog Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hello my name is Henri, I am 25 and live in Finland.

I used to weigh almost 500lbs around 2010. Now I weigh in at around 380lbs. My goal is to get back to a fit weight and make my husband happy at the same time. I have always been strong but after high school I did next to no exercise, I was on the football and swim team back in Texas. I want to start strength training, which is something I never did. The only thing we ever did was the sport itself, practice, or stretching... you know just minor athletic routines.
  • Weightlossdude53
    Weightlossdude53 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hi! My name is Carl and I am 53 years old. I have been trying to lose weight for many years with varying degrees if success. I have also been trying to exercise consistently. I recognize the need to strengthen my body through strength training. In the last few years, i have had chronic lower back issues and injuries die to weak core muscles. I recently won a one year membership,to a gym and five sessions with a trainer and couldn't be happier!
  • MissMeg13
    MissMeg13 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi I've lifted weights before for like 2 weeks and then quit. Now I'm in this wonderful gym and love going. Only one thing wrong with it. It's so intimidating to use the free weights. It's a dude's area. It's bad enough they stare when people walk by. I really want to start using them though. Any suggestions?
  • SeanSilk
    SeanSilk Posts: 12
    Options
    I'm Sean.
    And I lost more than 100 pounds in almost two years. I've been working out at the gym 3 days a week for almost 19 months.
    I'm enjoying everyday of my health lifestyle.
  • Sapphiresue
    Options
    I have just returned to the gym after a 20 year hiatus. I have been on a 'get healthy' kick for almost a year now. November 2013 I quit smoking; January 2014 I quit all dairy products, only almond milk; March 2014 I quit all gluten, rice, potatoes, bread and pasta; May I quit all obvious sugar and salt; July I couldn't think of anything else to 'give up' so I went back to bodybuilding August 1st :) I have been lifting weights again for almost a month and just added cardio in to my routine on a daily basis. I am modifying my diet yet again as per my personal trainer, using a diet to increase my metabolism and lose body fat.

Looking forward to listening and learning from everyone in this group!
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    I have just returned to the gym after a 20 year hiatus. I have been on a 'get healthy' kick for almost a year now. November 2013 I quit smoking; January 2014 I quit all dairy products, only almond milk; March 2014 I quit all gluten, rice, potatoes, bread and pasta; May I quit all obvious sugar and salt; July I couldn't think of anything else to 'give up' so I went back to bodybuilding August 1st :) I have been lifting weights again for almost a month and just added cardio in to my routine on a daily basis. I am modifying my diet yet again as per my personal trainer, using a diet to increase my metabolism and lose body fat.

Looking forward to listening and learning from everyone in this group!

Just wanted to chime in a bit with some information and maybe some miss-information you are being given or maybe some miss-understanding on how the body works. Unless there is a medical reason to negate a food group, then there is no reason to negate whole food groups. Weight loss is 100% dictated by calories in vs calories out, not the negation of a food group like dairy, or carbs, or fat, etc.... Now if you have a medically tested allergy to said food item, then of course...but that allergy has no correlation to weight-loss. Notice I said weight-loss and not health, as allergies can cause health issues, but of course, so can being overweight. Being on a energy deficit (calories less than what you need daily to maintain weight) will always decrease your metabolism. There is nothing you can do to increase metabolism except eat more and or increase muscle tissue (which in itself dictates training and eating more, ie.. being in a caloric surplus). How much you depress your metabolism is dictated on how low you drop your calories and how long you do this for. That is why the general rule of thumb is only drop calories by enough to lose from between .5-1% of your total bodyweight weekly on average. The lower end if you are leaner and the higher end of you have a fair amount of weight to lose.

This link will get you started on nutrition 101, training, etc...
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • comback67
    comback67 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone,

I just joined the group today and I am excited to meet new friends who enjoy lifting weights and living a healthy lifestyle. I started lifting weights in HS while playing sports and continued to lift weights for many years afterwards. When I got married, had kids and my career started growing, I took some time off from the weight room begrudgingly. Now that life has slowed down a bit, I am back in the gym and loving it. I pretty much lift on Mon, Wed, Fri, and do cardio on Tues, Thurs and Sat. Sunday I'll usually take off.

I'm pretty knowledgeable in the area of weight training after being a certified personal trainer at one time and also doing some power lifting while in high school and college, so if you need any advice or want to add me as a friend please do so. I could also use some support, advice, and motivation myself.

Good luck everyone in your weight training regimens!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Hi guys

I've been strength training for just over a year. Thought I'd join so I can read back over the collective wisdom.
  • reedzen
    reedzen Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I'm Reed! I'm new to MFP and to the gym in general.

I have been trying to lose weight doing just cardio, but it was pointed out to me by multiple people that my genetics lean toward building muscle. So now, I'm going to do both! In the last month I've played around on the machines but I am hoping to start lifting with the bar soon. I even convinced my friend to join me so we can spot each other! :smile:

I joined this group in the hope that I would gain some friends and learn more about lifting so I can do it safely and effectively. Can't wait to get some valuable wisdom from all of you.
  • KiltFuPanda
    KiltFuPanda Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    New guy to the group! Been on MFP for a little while, but wanted to get in a group with some lifters, for a little inspiration and support.

I've been lifting for about 4 years off and on. Luckily I had some of the best training partners in the area to help me get my form right. I have a sporadic training schedule (trying to work on that) since my goal isn't really to lift heavy - I'm a highland games athlete and so I switch around between speed work and heavy work. Still doesn't stop me from trying to test my limits where I can!
  • shell_bell61
    shell_bell61 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm 53 year old female. I joined the group for motivation. I want to lose weight and turn back the clock. I have been strength training on and off for 2 years but never stick with it. I'm setting a goal to gain muscle and firm up. right now I am doing the intermittent fasting and doing strength training 3x/wk, I do 30 mins of cardio then hit the weights.
  • shell_bell61
    shell_bell61 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm 53 year old female. I joined the group for motivation. I want to lose weight and turn back the clock. I have been strength training on and off for 2 years but never stick with it. I'm setting a goal to gain muscle and firm up. right now I am doing the intermittent fasting and doing strength training 3x/wk, I do 30 mins of cardio then hit the weights.
  • climberpilot
    climberpilot Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm Ryan. I'm 38 and recently moved to Minnesota.

I used to be pretty active, but over the last few years have slowed down for career and family reasons.

I'm here because I just started the 5x5 program and am starting to learn about strength training as a means to lose so E weight and get in better shape.
  • cshock93
    cshock93 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Cimia. 24 years old and have used mfp in the past. I lost a decent bit of weight, but now I want to focus on building muscle. The only thing I have access to is dumbbells, and I don't really know what I'm doing. But I'm trying to figure it out.