Great idea! First question...

Options
Hi! Thanks for starting a Thunder Bay group! I was wondering, who goes to which gym?

I used to have a membership at the Athletic Club, which I loved, but it was a little pricey and I had to give it up. (and eventually gave up exercising alltogether for a while :ohwell: ) When I started MFP, I started going to the Complex - just buying day passes at first, then I got a one-month membership, still not really wanting to commit to a full year's worth of payments. My month is almost up and, rather than spending $60 for another month, I'm considering switching to Fit4Less.

I'm just wondering - do any of you go there? What do you think of it? The price is certainly appealing but I haven't been in yet. It's farther from home for me and there's no pool, hot tub or sauna, which are my favorite after-workout rewards. Mind you, I really haven't used any of those things at the Complex in the last little while - I seem to always be working out at the same time as swim team practice or about 6 birthday parties going on at once, so I've been avoiding the pool.

Any insight or opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Replies

• jorgy10
    jorgy10 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been going to fit4less for the last three weeks and think its great for the $$. I was previously an Athletic Club member as well as I loved the classes, but found myself never able to go to any because of my schedule. Fit4less has all of the equipment I need, treadmills, ellipticals, bikes, weights, bosu balls, etc. and at a fabulous price. I highly recommend it if you're looking to go, workout and go home which is what I look to do now. I found I didnt really have time to use the other ammenities that the Athletic club had to offer and cringed everytime that I paid for what everyone else got to use. Hope that helps:)
  • hhorncastle
    hhorncastle Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Jorgy. That does help. Going, working out and going home seems to be where I'm at now, too. I think I'll check out Fit4Less this week. In fact, it's close enough to work that maybe I could even go on my lunch hour for a quick workout. Hm.. 15 minutes to get there and change, half an hour on the elliptical, 15 minutes to shower, change and get back to work. That might be a bit of a stretch. We'll see. I'll be checking it out, regardless.

Thanks for the input!
  • EnufAlready
    EnufAlready Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hello, I just joined this site and so far I'm thinking it is great and might really help.

I used to belong to Push and I loved working out first thing in the morning. But you know how it is, you get out of the habit and before you know it you haven't been for months and wasted all that money. I also don't like to drive in the winter before it even gets light. So last week I joined Fit4Less with the intent of working out at lunch time. I was planning to go today for my first workout but it's just too nasty out. So I shovelled instead. If I don't go to Fit4Less, I will quit so I got the black membership so I won't have a penalty.
  • hhorncastle
    Options
    I wound up joining Fit4Less, too. I haven't yet made it on my lunch hour, but I've got after work a bunch of times and on weekends. I really enjoy it!
  • EnufAlready
    Options
    I went yesterday afternoon but didn't make it today at lunch time. I can't really see well enough to drive in the dark so it's lunch or never for me. I didn't like the stationary bike set up that much - I kept slipping on the seat but perhaps it's just because I"m used to Push and have to get used to a new place. They do have good strength training options though and that's really what I like to do.
  • hhorncastle
    Options
    I've been hesitant to go at lunch because, well .. I sweat. And although I could certainly have a quick shower, I have almost waist-length hair that would take far too long to dry. So, I've been trying to figure out how I can come back to my receptionist job looking relatively presentable for the second half of the day.

I suppose I could go and just do strength training. I don't sweat as much with that as I do with cardio. Hm..
  • EnufAlready
    Options
    Have you ever tried the body for life training? It's great - short workout that gives great results and you feel like you have really accomplished something as you see how the weight you can lift if improving. They have all the resources you need at bodyforlife.com
  • awaito
    awaito Posts: 18
    Options
    Hey!
    I used to go to the Athletic Club. I was doing well with going after work but I found that I always had to rush. Eventually I fell out of my routine and didn't go for about a year :( but i was still paying the fees! I bought a house last spring and decided that I was going to cut out all unnecessary expenses... and seeing how I was never going to the gym.. that was $50 bucks extra in my pocket!

What I did do however was find an elliptical on Kijiji for $250 bucks... a really nice one! You would be surprised how many people use them as coat racks and eventually decide to sell them! I now work out from home.. i bought 10lb. dumbells from Walmart, I have the elliptical and then I do a routine of calisthetics (spelling?).. I have gotten quite toned and am super happy with the results. I also got a Bosu ball for Christmas (i love love love them! Best workout piece ever!.. so versatile!) I have never been happier. I always secretly hated the gym because I felt self conscious. Not necessarily about my body but just of being watched when I worked out. So i found i never worked out as hard as I should. Now in the comfort of my own home I can do what I want when I want. I stick to it better than I did at the gym! And I choose to look at it like I cancelled my gym membership but bought an elliptical which would have only been 5 extra months of gym membership. :):) So i get a better workout and I am ahead of the game financially!

For people who are interested in lunch workouts.. I have a colleague who uses Curves at lunch. I've personally never been but the circuit training workout is done in 30 min. She loves it!