North vs. South (USA)

Options
VeganGal84
VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
Is the South more racist/sexist/homophobic than the North? Discuss.

Replies

• mvilla2426
    Options
    I've never been to the North. I was born and raised, and lived thirty years in Atlanta. And with the exception of the first couple of years of my life (one example of which I described elsewhere) I really don't think its all that bad there. The area of ATL that I grew up in had people from all around the world. Racist people don't fare too well in Atlanta.

I moved to NC back in 2007. Here mostly everyone is either Lumbee Indian or Tuscarora Indian. Those two tribes have a bit of rivalry going on. And since you brought up sexism... many men around here have the following attitude "You marry a woman who cooks good, cleans good, and will raise your children. You don't love the woman you marry. You love your mistress" And if there is a woman like me, who is really outspoken, its just WEIRD to the people here. Don't get me wrong, the women here will cut you in a heartbeat. But opinions are really kept to themselves. And I am not one for keeping my opinions to myself. I'm glad my ex-BF/best friend/roommate is NOT like the men around here, even though he grew up here.

He and I can't wait to move back to Atlanta/
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Is the South more racist/sexist/homophobic than the North? Discuss.

Sadly, I've never been North but I don't think they could be any worse than the people down here. I imagine that it's better but maybe that's just wishful thinking?
  • cmbrysonussery
    cmbrysonussery Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I think rural areas are more racist/sexist/homophobic than more metropolitan areas. The cities are bigger melting pots of all people than smaller towns. As a native of the Atlanta area I am feel fine walking down the street holding my wife's hand, when we visit friends in rural S. GA we are much more aware and our friends cannot be out in their workplaces. In the same breath, we got married in DC because its not legal here in GA.
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I live in Memphis, and am planning to escape to NYC in a couple of years. I just want to live and breathe in a liberal metropolis, and Memphis does have some cooler spots (Midtown Memphis is pretty awesome) but from what I've experiences in NYC (my bro lives there and I visit him annually) it's more "me" in general.

("me" in this case means far-left liberal)
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I grew up in a suburb of Detroit, lived in a suburb of Phoenix for 5 years, and now we're in a suburb of Richmond, VA. Racism has been about the same in each city. You have a few idiots everywhere. I have noticed a racism trend though. In rural areas there is more racism against blacks. As you get closer to the city the tide shifts until there is more racism against whites.

IMO the North is much better than the South about gays. That probably has a lot to do with religion and the Bible Belt.

I haven't noticed any real differences as far as sexism.
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    double post.
  • debloves2ride
    Options
    unfortuantely it (racism etc) is alive and well everywhere. I think it is more discreet in the North, the South just lets it all hang out. I have lived from Miami to North Carolina to Alaska and back - it is everywhere, some just more open than others.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    unfortuantely it (racism etc) is alive and well everywhere. I think it is more discreet in the North, the South just lets it all hang out. I have lived from Miami to North Carolina to Alaska and back - it is everywhere, some just more open than others.

I think Deb hits the nail on the head here, sadly.

I agree with the poster above who made a very accurate comparison between North vs. South and City vs. Rural. In the south the racism would seem to be more "open", same as in a city. When you actually put races together issues are going to come to a head. Now if we examine the North or suburbs/countryside we see the ILLUSION of tolerance and understanding. Deep down those prejudices are still there and even a little more hurtful. It's a racism you don't expect. The people seem so nice, so friendly, you're shocked when the bank tells you you can't get a loan to buy a home in that neighborhood.

The dumb redneck muttering racial slurs at the end of the bar may be overtly racist. But the local neighborhood group who won't invite you to the community barbeque is actually much more hurtful.

Just my thoughts. I thought this was just going to be about which region would win in a fight. We always have to keep reminding you southerners that we already decided that one. :wink:
  • SkateboardFi
    SkateboardFi Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    i was born in and grew up (somewhat) in chicago, and also lived 9 years in the south (louisiana). i would say they're both intolerant, but that the north works harder to 'mask' it, while the south pretty much throws it in your face. personally i prefer the latter, at least i know where people stand.
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    That's why I like CA, I feel like while there is still racism, just not as much of it. I definitely would say they are more open about it in the South, I was appauled when I was in VA and saw an ad for a "KKK burn" all this time I had been wondering why my friend at who was black didn't want to go to New Orleans with me but that brought it home. It's really pathetic to me. Being raised in CA I had hardly seen any of it, then when I moved on Indiana I was amazed at how segregated it seemed to be.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I've lived in California, Washington, Florida, the Carolinas (South Carolina near Charlotte, NC), Illinois, and Hawaii.

The worst for racism was Hawaii (but against non-Hawaiians).
    The second worst for racism was the Carolinas.

California and Illinois had a lot of "under cover" racism.

Washington (at least the western half) has a lot of "open minded" folk, that rarely see or meet non-whites.

All are pretty much equal when it comes to misogyny, but the most overt sexism I saw was in the Carolinas and Florida.

All my own opinion, of course.
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    I am in California...Dont see the issue really...or not even at all...It's so diverse...