What distances do you run and how often?

Options
RAFValentina
RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
Hey guys, for those of you who are good at long distance running, what sort of training plans do you operate? Mine is a bit arbitrary/hashed together. I train pretty much every day for at least 90 minutes. Sometimes this includes an outdoor treadmill run of at least 7.5km, but nore often than not between 10 and 14km and an inside bike ride of about 15km. To help protect my calves and anterior shins (I have recurring compartment syndrome which is frustrating as hell!) I also use the elliptical/cross trainer in the gym for a long distance "climb" run.

:)

Replies

• caseyp1122
    caseyp1122 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Mine is mashed together as well, no real method to my madness. Tuesdays and Thursdays I run at minimum 6 miles in about 60 minutes, Monday and Fridays I do the good o'le Marine Corps run test, 3 miles as quickly as possibly. Average around 26 minutes, best ever was 21:10 but that was years ago. I take Wednesday, Sat, and Sunday off (cardio wise). It works for me even though it seems a little crazy.
  • RAFValentina
    Options
    Nice! Sounds like a good effort! I always like to look at my 2.4Km (1.5mi) runtime as PART of my workout as can work out the quivalent VO2 max from it... also... 2.4km was our fitness test during officer training (in terms of CV fitness... there was 2 mins each of pushups and sit ups right after the run to test muscular endurance and fitness) I wish I was quicker!
  • caseyp1122
    caseyp1122 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Wait, you guys have fitness tests in the Air Force? lol totally jk. Always loved the sibling rivalry between my brother and sisters in the military =)
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I follow Barry P's 3-2-1 plan. Currently running 6 days a week, 3 short, 2 med, 1 long.
    Short distance is 1/2 of medium distance is 1/2 of long distance. Currently my long is 16 miles.
  • RAFValentina
    Options
    Nice! My limiting factor now for runs is time! I make time for a workout... but I don't have THAT much time that often to do SUCH long runs! And yeah I love the inter-service rivalry! :)
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    When I'm training for a race I usually follow Hal HIgdon's plans, although a friend of mine ran a PR marathon and followed the Hansen Brooks training plan....so I might look into that for a future marathon.

When I'm not in training for anything particular I usually try to run at least 3-4x a week, maybe 15-20 miles total a week plus do weight training several times a week as well.
  • beccalucy
    beccalucy Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Mines currently a mix-match of runs between 5/6 times a week plus 2 zumba sessions a week.

I have one long run which is currently half marathon distance but increasing by a mile a week, 1-2 mid of around 5-6 miles then 2 short of 5km as fast as possible. Considering heading for the 3-2-1 though
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I'm presently doing Asylum and prior to that I did Insanity. I do indoor cardio or intervals/strength through these workouts 5 days a week and run one day minimum of a long distance 13+ mile run. The past few weeks, I've added a double exercise in and have been running on the treadmill (too cold or too dark to be outside) for very fast 30 to 45 minute runs. I do speed work on the treadmill and distance outside. My goal is to maintain a half marathon distance through the winter.