Skills, Movements, or lifts you are still working on

Options
Shizzman
Shizzman Posts: 527 Member
For me I still have work to do on my double unders and I haven't yet been able to do a muscle up. I'd like to be able to do handstands without being against the wall. Last but not least, a bunch of my lifts aren't so pretty...my deadlift definitely needs work and my overhead squat is the worst of my squats.

So what about y'all?

Replies

• XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    For Lifts:
    Snatch
    And as I get heavier, the clean challenges me... my elbows won't flip under fast enough. I feel I have the power, just not the speed.

Gymnastics
    Muscle Ups
    Ring Dips
    Rope Ascents

Skill
    Pull Up <-- The bane of my CF existence.
  • ceebs9
    ceebs9 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Not sure there are any that I am NOT still working on! The only movements I feel super comfortable with are deads, pull ups, push ups and box jumps. Everything else needs a ton of work, especially anything overhead.

Now I'm depressed. :tongue:
  • Shizzman
    Options
    For Lifts:
    Snatch
    And as I get heavier, the clean challenges me... my elbows won't flip under fast enough. I feel I have the power, just not the speed.

Gymnastics
    Muscle Ups
    Ring Dips
    Rope Ascents

Skill
    Pull Up <-- The bane of my CF existence.

For me the clean is what I feel is most limiting my snatch...as in I have one problem that impacts both. For me, I run into problems with the bending my elbows before the bar enters the weightless part of the move. There probably is more that I could work to improve, but I know when that is where I hit the wall as I try increasing the weight on the clean. As for ring work, I don't do enough to have a great idea of where I am. With the rope, I have the opposite issue I can get up...but I'd like to be more comfortable about getting down. Rope is definitely a skill, not just a strength.
    Not sure there are any that I am NOT still working on! The only movements I feel super comfortable with are deads, pull ups, push ups and box jumps. Everything else needs a ton of work, especially anything overhead.

Now I'm depressed. :tongue:

I meant this as a way for folks to share what helped them get the movement or a chance to say "gah, this still doesn't click". Plus knowing where you need work makes it easier to know where you can be stronger :tongue:
  • snkeller24
    Options
    Lift: my guess would be the Jerk. I sort of dread it. The other lifts I've "mastered" skill wise just need to work on moving up with weight. My coaches do get on me about the speed of my lifts. Out of all of them, Snatch, is my prettiest and favorite.

Still no double unders here either. I'd like to eventually be able to do dips and pull ups (kipping and strict) without a band. But we don't do ring work very often. I tried for a muscle up and pretty sure I almost ripped my arms out of the socket. Haha
  • carolinarollergirl
    Options
    Snatch balance, overhead squats and HSPUs. Dread them all.
  • FindingTotalHealth
    Options
    Lifts - well, I love the DL, and don't mind the front or back squat. I have pretty good depth. Not great on the OHS or the snatch but I'm catching on. And I've never been a fan of the power cleans.

Pull ups, I once hated them but I'm getting better. Once of these days I will transition out of the big green band to something smaller. Can't wait.

Just learned how to do a handstand last week and I suck at it. I hit my head against the wall every time...

Double unders... enough said. Still doing single unders.

Oh, and I hate burpees with a passion!
  • Sbiscotti
    Sbiscotti Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Oh the CrossFit Goat List. It's super long.

Lifts - snatch, oh squat, and squat cleans/squat snatch. Just struggle with dropping down under the weight on the snatches and cleans. OH squat, issue is shoulder stability.

Gymnastics - everything! bwahaha. particularly - pullups, pushups, hspu, ring dips, toe to bar

I actually have a very set way of tackling this right now. My friend Justin at CrossFit Coweta has me applying a russian squat program to my clean & jerks. 6 week program. So far I'm almost done with week 3 and i can tell i'm getting much stronger.

As far as the skill stuff, i pick one skill to work on 3x per wk for 3 wks. This is my last week of wall balls. Next week starts pullups. I did this with double unders back in March and now have 5:26 Annie.

This was my wall ball skill work:

Week 1 - 3x per week, 10 rounds of 10 wall balls w/2 min rest in between
    Week 2- 3x per week, 10 rounds of 10 wall balls every 90 sec
    Week 3- 3x per week, 3 rounds of 25 wall balls, 90 sec rest btwn sets

For Double unders, i did 30 sec on, 90 sec off 3x per week, counting how many reps i got each set. At first it was only 5-10 in 30, but eventually i was getting at least 40 every 30 sec.
  • ceebs9
    ceebs9 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Oh the CrossFit Goat List. It's super long.

Lifts - snatch, oh squat, and squat cleans/squat snatch. Just struggle with dropping down under the weight on the snatches and cleans. OH squat, issue is shoulder stability.

Gymnastics - everything! bwahaha. particularly - pullups, pushups, hspu, ring dips, toe to bar

I actually have a very set way of tackling this right now. My friend Justin at CrossFit Coweta has me applying a russian squat program to my clean & jerks. 6 week program. So far I'm almost done with week 3 and i can tell i'm getting much stronger.

As far as the skill stuff, i pick one skill to work on 3x per wk for 3 wks. This is my last week of wall balls. Next week starts pullups. I did this with double unders back in March and now have 5:26 Annie.

This was my wall ball skill work:

Week 1 - 3x per week, 10 rounds of 10 wall balls w/2 min rest in between
    Week 2- 3x per week, 10 rounds of 10 wall balls every 90 sec
    Week 3- 3x per week, 3 rounds of 25 wall balls, 90 sec rest btwn sets

For Double unders, i did 30 sec on, 90 sec off 3x per week, counting how many reps i got each set. At first it was only 5-10 in 30, but eventually i was getting at least 40 every 30 sec.

Excellent info. Thank you.
  • snkeller24
    Options
    My other struggle is getting the rope to spin fast enough in my double unders - I don't have them, but I can successfully do singles. I practice at least 3 times a week for 10-15 minutes ... I mostly just whipped myself and get pissed off.
  • Shizzman
    Options
    So the dork that I am I think I finally have gotten a mental idea of the timing for double unders...but I'm no closer to actually doing them. Basically I just realized that if I think of the jump as a 4 part movement top of the jump, on the ground, and the two inbetweens...instead of on the ground and in the air than at least mentally the double unders make sense. Cause then instead of trying to get the rope under twice while jumping, it is once under while going up and once under on the way back down...So if I was more coordinated this would help, but right now just more over thinking...
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    it is once under while going up and once under on the way back down...So if I was more coordinated this would help, but right now just more over thinking...

^^ Absolutely this! I tell people to make the flick of the wrist while going up. Too often they are stressing over the movement that while they are up in their jump they focus only on "**** this is where I got to get my rope under" and it's too late.
  • Sbiscotti
    Sbiscotti Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Just an update on how the 3 wk program went for wall balls - awesome! Week 3 of doing sets of 25 went really well - I was getting the 25 unbroken. In a wod last week, I did the first 2 rounds of 30 wall balls only breaking once.

Now I'm on a 3 week pullups program.

Week 1 - 12 min amrap of pulls, rest 30 sec. everytime you come off the bar (this is supposed to help develop that grip strength to stay on the bar longer so you can link more pullups)

Week 2 - 3 sets of 25 pullups for time, rest 3 min in between sets

Week 3 - 10 sets of 10 pullups for time, rest 90 sec in between sets.

Day one of Week 1 - I got 48 pullups and a HUGE hand rip.