CPAP

Options
cbbarge
cbbarge Posts: 250 Member
I hate, hate, hate my CPAP machine but I've been told that I have to use it for 30 prior to my surgery. I cannot seem to get past 3 -3 1/2 hours before I wake up drenched in sweat and yank the mask off. Then I've been told I will need to use it for three months after surgery. (yeah, like that's gonna happen!) I cannot wait for the day that I no longer need that horrible machine.

Replies

• vdegraff
    vdegraff Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    :( so sorry
  • Dulcislim
    Options
    I couldn't tolerate the CPAP in the second sleep study. I really tried. I really wanted it to work because I was so sick of being tired all of the time. The masks are horrible.

Use it when you can and know that soon enough, you won't need it.

Good luck.
  • wendy2317
    Options
    Did you try the pillow. Instead of a mask it is this little thing attached to your machine and hoses that goes up your nose.Not as good as nothing but better than the mask.
    Wendy
  • Kvrana
    Options
    Hi ! I am a sleep tech and a lapbander! The mask you chose is the most important part of your cpap process. As you well know, if you can't tolerate the mask, you don't use it.

My patients, and myself, personally do best with nasal pillow type masks. They even make them specifically for women- pink, purlple-cute! I have had the best results with the ResMed Swit LT for Her mask. Contact your medical supplier for DME (durable medical equipment) and try one. If you can not tolerate the nasal pillows, the best nasal mask is the ResMed Micro Mirage or the mirage FX for her. You want a mask that you do not have to adjust all night long and don't feel conscious of it being on your face all night.

I feel ya! I have lost 110 lbs, but still need my cpap because sleep apnea is not always related to weight only- it is hereditary, and there are a lot of contributing factors like having a small airway, big tonsils, big tongue, etc. Check your report from the first sleep study with no cpap- look at the section that breaks out the apnea you had while sleeping in every postion- you may not have apnea when you sleep on your tummy or your sides. Apnea is always the worst when sleeping supine (on your back). If you can avoid supine sleep , or prop yourself up without having apnea, you won't need your mask. Apnea is deadly though, so make sure you are ok without cpap on your sides and tummy.

Apnea is known to cause high blood pressure, enlarged heart, heart attacks, strokes and mini strokes, depression, poor metabolism and weight gain,- everything. I make horrible food and life choices when I am sleep deprived, so I use my cpap. Let me know if you need help with anything or have any questions! I really think you will be fine if you get the right the right mask! : )
  • Janeen41
    Janeen41 Posts: 8
    Options
    I use the Resmed swift pink nasal pillows and love them. Of course, I am looking forward to the day I can travel and not have my cpap, but for the time being it helps me tremendously with getting good sleep. I guess I'm used to mine. Good luck with working out the kinks.