religion, reincarnation, deja vu, etc.

Options

Replies

• Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    This life is not a trail run. It's not a cosmic test. This is it. Make the best of it.

The only possible way you will experience life after death is as fossil fuel or compost.

Love this. Great way to see life!
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Agnostic but very active in a Unitarian Universalist church. It fits me and my values, and it's fun.

"We, the members and friends of the First Unitarian Universalist Society of (my home town);
    Support the free and disciplined search for truth as the center of religious community and encourage an acceptance of pluralistic views;
    Recognize our Judeo-Christian heritage as well as other traditions and seek lasting values and new insights;
    Affirm, defend, and promote the equality, worth, and dignity of every person;
    Strive for a world community of love, justice, and peace;
    Support the democratic process and mutual respect in all human relationships;
    Cherish the universe and its resources and recognize the unity of all life."

Reincarnation, I dunno. I don't suppose the possibility of living multiple times is really any more amazing than the possibility that you lived once. I personally am not a believer, but I'm open to the possibility.

De ja vu. Sure, I have them, but I don' t think they're particularly meaningful.
  • mikajoanow
    mikajoanow Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I do not believe in Karma unless you are going by a natural "cause and effect" type Karma. It seems to me that if it were true, that some supernatural force was acting as some sort of equalizer or punisher many of the most unethical people in this world would be suffering on some level. But usually its just the meek, the have nots.

Reincarnation, again, if you were to say that our energy becomes part of the natural cycle of life again, I would say okay. But if you're saying some supernatural force turns me into a tadpole in my next life because I was bad in this life I would say no.

DeJa Vu, meh, I don't know why that happens.

The religion of Humanism best describes me.
  • mikajoanow
    mikajoanow Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    This life is not a trail run. It's not a cosmic test. This is it. Make the best of it.

The only possible way you will experience life after death is as fossil fuel or compost.
    Love it!
  • micls
    micls Posts: 234
    Options
    I'm an atheist. Raised Catholic(I'm Irish) but never really believed it. Can't ever officially leave the Catholic church and it absolutely sickens me to be counted in the numbers of such a sick and twisted organistation.

Don't believe in reincarnation. I accept the scientific explanation for deja-vu
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I've never understood why people say they can't "leave" the Catholic church. I know, you're baptized and stuff...but if you TRULY do not believe, then why would you even think that you can't leave it? Just disassociate yourself from it.
  • mvilla2426
    Options
    what is your religious background and current affiliation (if any)?
    I am Wiccan. I was raised Christian. My Mother was (deceased, hence the past tense) Baptist and my father is a Guadalupano Catholic. My sister is a very devout non-denominational Christian. I knew Christianity wasn't for me starting probably 10-ish on, and once in college began a very long journey into what religion was right for me, found Taoism and ultimately Wicca.

do you believe in reincarnation and karma in future lives? (if so, how does this tie into your aforementioned beliefs?)
    Reincarnation and Karma, yes, definitely. I've always believed in both.

deja vu: have you experienced it? have stories? how do you explain it? (and again, how does THIS tie into your beliefs?)
    Many, many times, especially as a kid.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I'm an atheist. Raised Catholic(I'm Irish) but never really believed it. Can't ever officially leave the Catholic church and it absolutely sickens me to be counted in the numbers of such a sick and twisted organistation.

Don't believe in reincarnation. I accept the scientific explanation for deja-vu

Why can't you leave the Catholic church?
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    I've never understood why people say they can't "leave" the Catholic church. I know, you're baptized and stuff...but if you TRULY do not believe, then why would you even think that you can't leave it? Just disassociate yourself from it.

What he means is that the church itself will never consider you anything but Roman Catholic even if you stop going and convert to another religion. Judaism has similar laws.
  • macpatti
    Options
    I understand that you may be saying that it is not ontologically possible to cease being Catholic, but I thought there was some declaration within Canon Law that allowed for it. I'll have to look into that now because I'm curious.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Interesting premise, can you request excommunication? Hmmm.
  • KimmyEB
    Options
    Hmm...that seems really stupid. Why would they want someone who clearly wants nothing to do with them? Makes no sense. Then again, a lot of stuff in religion doesn't. Not trying to be rude, just my simple observation. :tongue:
  • KimmyEB
    Options
    whoops, sorry, double post.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Well I may have been raised as a Catholic, but BELIEVE ME you sure can leave the church. It's an easy enough process:

1. Stop believing.

2. Stop attending.

And there you have it. Whatever meta-physical claims the Catholic church wants to make on your soul or whatever are pretty meaningless if you make the decision for yourself that you don't believe it anymore. The only power someone has over you is the power you give them.
  • macpatti
    Options
    Well I may have been raised as a Catholic, but BELIEVE ME you sure can leave the church. It's an easy enough process:

1. Stop believing.

2. Stop attending.

And there you have it. Whatever meta-physical claims the Catholic church wants to make on your soul or whatever are pretty meaningless if you make the decision for yourself that you don't believe it anymore. The only power someone has over you is the power you give them.

Well, the poster obviously feels strongly about even the church considering him Catholic, so I'm looking into Canon Law. Of course anyone can stop attending mass and calling himself Catholic, but I think we're looking for the church's position.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options

1. Stop believing.

2. Stop attending.

Well, the poster obviously feels strongly about even the church considering him Catholic, so I'm looking into Canon Law. Of course anyone can stop attending mass and calling himself Catholic, but I think we're looking for the church's position.

I'd be curious to know what you find out. My catholic side of the family always told me that once a Roman Catholic, always a Roman Catholic, but whether this is a matter of Canon law or not, I'd be interested to find out.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I'd be curious to know what you find out. My catholic side of the family always told me that once a Roman Catholic, always a Roman Catholic, but whether this is a matter of Canon law or not, I'd be interested to find out.

Roger that. Do let us know what you find. My gf's mother also says "Once a Catholic always a Catholic."
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    1. Atheist/Humanist

2. Clearly the answer here is no, I don't believe in reincarnation, karma, etc.

3. Déjà vu is easily explained - it's caused by a glitch in the Matrix. :flowerforyou:
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    what is your religious background and current affiliation (if any)? I went to a Baptist church as a kid now I belong to an Independent Baptist church.

do you believe in reincarnation and karma in future lives? (if so, how does this tie into your aforementioned beliefs?) I believe that when we die we either go to Heaven or Hell but I don't believe we live again on earth as ourselves or someone esle.

deja vu: have you experienced it? have stories? how do you explain it? (and again, how does THIS tie into your beliefs?) I have experienced deja vu in the past. I don't know how to explain it though but I don't believe it's because I've lived this life before.
  • macpatti
    Options

In discussions with theologians, the interpretation of this goes something like this: Baptism is a mark on your soul that you cannot reverse. It's like saying you don't want your parents to be your parents. You were born to them, and they'll always be your parents, whether you claim them or not. You can decide to become an atheist, and no longer consider yourself Catholic or recieve any of the benefits of being a Catholic. The term "once a Catholic, always a Catholic" is really meant to be a way of saying, "You're always family and welcome to come back to the church". So, let's say someone was baptized Catholic, then became atheist, but later decided to be Catholic again, he would not need to be baptized all over again. He could attend reconciliation, and be welcome back with open arms.

Regarding actual Canon Law/declarations, I'm still looking into that.