introductions

Options
Hi- I'm Pam. I do not have PKU, but do have homocystinuria. I was diagnosed last April. I am trying to follow a low protein diet, which as you know can be quite challenging. Since I am 54 yrs old, have already had a stroke, and am on Coumadin for the rest of my life, my doctor has not insisted on a low protein diet, but because of my other issues (scoliosis) I'm trying it to see if it helps. Would love some recipe Ideas if any knows of any.

Replies

• geminigirl1979
    geminigirl1979 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi Pam. I'm Jessica. My 6 year old son has PKU. I've heard of homocystinuria. There is a website called Cook for Love that has some great low protein recipes. Also, a couple books that I have (though a lot of the recipes call for special low-protein flours) are Apples to Zucchini and Low Protein Cookery for PKU. I really love the 2nd one, but the Apples to Zucchini one has more everyday recipes (without requiring low-protein medical foods). Cambrooke foods is where we get most of our low-protein medical foods and they directly bill our insurance and we don't pay for the foods. Don't know if your insurance would cover it, but it's definitely worth looking into. My son's favorite foods right now are sweet potatoes (he likes them as hashbrowns too) and broccoli. We're not big on mixing things up really. Good luck! And let me know if I can help you in any way! :)