What started your phobia?

Options
With me, I have a MASSIVE fear of baked beans. I don't mean dislike, I mean FEAR.

When I was younger, my mother would force me to eat beans, I hated the taste, the texture, even the look of them - and as a six year old, it's not right to be throwing up after eating.

So not only do I have this fear of baked beans, I also have a fear of trying new foods, because I'm worried that it will make me throw up, which in turn creates massive panic attacks which in turn makes me ill. Vicious cycle or what?!

I have found a way to combat this though, when my OH offers me some food to try, he never pressures me into it, and I trust him enough to not give me something that would cause me to freak out. As I'm getting older, I get a little better - but if I ever get pregnant, I hope to GOD I don't get a craving for beans! Worst nightmare!

Do you freak out with certain foods, and if so, why?

Replies

• Kattyrar
    Options
    Fish!! The smell, the look, the taste, the texture. Im feeling sick just posting this. It puts me off going to restaurants and peoples houses, supermarkets like Morrisons and I cant watch it on the tv. Talking about it makes me wretch and shiver. I always get asked if i eat battered fish and chips or fish fingers. NOOOO!

My boyfriend isn't allowed to eat it because of how it makes me feel. He now lives 4k miles away and the month before I visit he has to stop eating it x
  • Kattyrar
    Options
    Ha - just noticed that I didnt put the most important bit of the reply... I have absolutely no idea why I feel like this!
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    When I was younger I was insanely hyper. My parents took me to the doctors and he diagnosed me as allergic to e-numbers(20 years on that's a load of BS I'm actually the poster child for ADD) and gave my parents a lit of what I wasn't allowed to eat. Now, if you've ever looked up what e-numbers are in foods you will know how severe the limitations were. I wasn't even allowed most juice drinks. No sweets, ONE carbinated drink, 7-up, basically I was limited to nothing processed, which meant when other children got cookies and chocolate and cake and fizzy drinks, I got water and a piece of fruit. My nan nan used to ignore the rule and give me sweets anyway, but then my parents stopped us from seeing her, maybe it was related, maybe not. So after about a year or two I was so sick of it that I actually started making myself sick with it. Then I didn't have to make myself sick anymore, I just was. Eventually they took me off the diet and I was allowed to eat nice things again, but I never really liked food, I am terrified of trying new foods and if it's something even slightly related to that diet you can forget it.

It's so bad that my fiancé tried to help out once, we went for a sunday lunch at a pub and there was orange mash on my plate, I asked him what it was, he told me it was a vegetable of some description, I forget what and that it was nice, I should try it. He put the smallest bit on my fork, I mean pin head size, and tried to get me to eat it, encouraging, friendly, everything right. I started crying hysterically! I finally did eat the pin head size, couldn't taste it but began gagging and was almost sick. I want to deal with this phobia, but how can I when pin head servings make me sick? All Veg, most fruits, even the stuff I like! I like grapes, but more than 2 and the texture starts the reflex.
  • PaulErmac
    Options
    I honestly don't know as I was too young to remember. It started around age three and I've been like that ever since.