So, I'm BIG!

Options
jackylane
jackylane Posts: 13 Member
I've always been big, and by big I don't necessarily mean overweight. I've come to terms with the fact I'll never be a willowy lithe creature. My hands are huge (bigger than most of the men I know) my feet are size 12 and my legs are long. Some people can be 6"2 and 150 pounds, but i will never be 6"4 and under 200. I'm okay with this and I just thought maybe I should write it out and say that to women that would understand where I'm coming from.

Replies

• Jenn152
    Jenn152 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    amen sister :drinker: this entire statement is EXACTLY what this group is all about! :bigsmile:
  • pkiesch
    pkiesch Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    We definitely understand!! Gonna be this height for my life, might as well accept it & enjoy life! oh & thank God we're not short & can reach pretty much anything we want without help:laugh:
  • jackylane
    jackylane Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    This is so true, I can't imagine having to ask for help reaching things :P
  • trishajo82
    trishajo82 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    it gives me uber anxiety thinking about what it must be like being in a crowded room (bar, place, whatever) being a short person. I mean seriously. You'd have to stare at backs and *kitten* the whole time! I wouldn't even be able to breath for fear of inhaling some gross smells!!

I like being able to survey the crowd and see from one side of the room to the other. LOL Poor short people....:laugh:
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Here Here!

I have a great time at music concerts- I can actually see!!

p.s Jackylane I'm with you on being realistic. I have a large frame, big boobs and a wide ribcage. 200lbs looks relatively skinny on me!!! I cant imagine being 150- I'm not going to force my body down to that weight.
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    You'd have to stare at backs and *kitten* the whole time! I wouldn't even be able to breath for fear of inhaling some gross smells!!

I like being able to survey the crowd and see from one side of the room to the other. LOL Poor short people....:laugh:

:laugh: :laugh:
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    YES! I had someone send me a message when I said my goal weight was 180 and wanted to be a size 12 and the message said something along the lines of "Don't you think that's too heavy? I mean, a size 12 is still really big."
    Um, not when you're 5'10" and have a large bone structure.
    I'm about 168-ish now and mostly in Size 8 pants because it took a while to get the hang of maintenance. I wouldn't mind gaining a few of those pounds back since you can count my ribs at this point.
    Bottom line - as long as we work on being fit and healthy, the scale is irrelevant - regardless of how tall or short we are. Also, these are OUR goals, no one else's.
  • Jenn152
    Options
    YES! I had someone send me a message when I said my goal weight was 180 and wanted to be a size 12 and the message said something along the lines of "Don't you think that's too heavy? I mean, a size 12 is still really big."
    I'm about 168-ish now and mostly in Size 8 pants because it took a while to get the hang of maintenance. I wouldn't mind gaining a few of those pounds back since you can count my ribs at this point.
    Bottom line - as long as we work on being fit and healthy, the scale is irrelevant - regardless of how tall or short we are. Also, these are OUR goals, no one else's.

holy shlt... i wouldve climbed through the internet and punched that onoxious person square in the face for even SAYING that!~ wow... idiots! thats one of the reasons i am not friends with short people on this site... lol :laugh:
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options

holy shlt... i wouldve climbed through the internet and punched that onoxious person square in the face for even SAYING that!~ wow... idiots! thats one of the reasons i am not friends with short people on this site... lol :laugh:
    I just blogged about it instead. This was a few months ago, but I think I got my point across.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/CoryIda/view/this-is-my-body-these-are-my-goals-a-little-rant-107823
  • Jenn152
    Options
    I just blogged about it instead. This was a few months ago, but I think I got my point across.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/CoryIda/view/this-is-my-body-these-are-my-goals-a-little-rant-107823

genius! very very well written, and exactly on point... and you are beautiful to boot :O)
  • allaboutaleah
    Options
    I feel you, I am almost 5'10" and my goal weight is 210lbs, sum might think that is still big, but for 1 that is a 100lb weight loss for me, and for 2, I can't imagine being 145lbs, which is what is said to be a "healthy" weight for me. I'd look anorexic, NO THANKS. I definetly have a large bone structure, and I dnt want everybody to be able to see every bone in my body. I want to remain thick, with sum curves, never a twig...lol
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I like your attitude allaboutleah. being sexy & comfortable is not about skinny. healthy but happy in your own skin is key for me.

mfp says i should be around 170 but I have 180 as my goal.

last year I was at 198 & felt great but wanted to slim down my stomach more so once I get past that again will decide when to stop. it could be 195 or it could be 180. I'll know when I get there.

As a type 2 diabetic with pancreatic cancer running in the family, my desire for a flat stomach is not just about vanity.
  • inlander
    inlander Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you posted this. It's taken me a long time to realize this about myself. I'm not 6'4" - I'm only 5'9" - but after going through an eating disorder when I was a teenager and only having 12.5lbs of fat on my tall, large-framed body .... over the past year or so I've really come to terms with the fact that I am not going to be model-thin or even small-framed, or have measurements of 34-24-34, and that I should focus on being STRONG and VIBRANT and HEALTHY.

So, kudos to you, and all of us that have accepted reality. <3
  • tillmanlady
    tillmanlady Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I soooooooo agree!!!

My weight now is 356 and no one would guess I weight that much, but when I tell people my goal weight is between 175-190 they still think its "big" by standard of numbers but I'm 5'9 and I haven't seen ONEderland since 8th grade I was what 13-14 yrs old????

Hell 9th grade yr I was 222 and I'm aiming for that by Christmas 2012 and honestly I would feel so comfortable at that size I wore a 16 (ya girl got curves LOL.) but still want to hit about 180 give or take just to get in a cute lil black dress... I also don't wanna get the big head look.. Cause some tall people that lose a lot get the big head look and I don't want that to be me :huh: so my real goal weight is going to be determined by how big my head looks in comparison to my body...:tongue:
  • lik_11
    lik_11 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    ..... so my real goal weight is going to be determined by how big my head looks in comparison to my body...:tongue:

That's TOO funny! Reminds me of one lady on here wrote about being called a peanut- she appreciated it!
  • Luinbariel
    Luinbariel Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I really appreciate this post.

I've been calculating what my healthy BMI is, but when I think about how that's going to look on me I'm just not sure it's going to be as healthy as the calculation seems to think it will.

I've ALWAYS been a bigger girl. Of course I'm tall, but I also have large feet (size 11) and large hands (can palm a basketball). I know I'm not going to be teeny either, but... I don't know if I should still shoot for the weight my BMI calls for.
  • Jenn152
    Options

I've been calculating what my healthy BMI is, but when I think about how that's going to look on me I'm just not sure it's going to be as healthy as the calculation seems to think it will.

I've ALWAYS been a bigger girl. Of course I'm tall, but I also have large feet (size 11) and large hands (can palm a basketball). I know I'm not going to be teeny either, but... I don't know if I should still shoot for the weight my BMI calls for.

check out the large frame BMI scale in this groups threads... i found the info and put it all together so it makes things a bit more manageable if you are a large frame :O)
  • Luinbariel
    Luinbariel Posts: 4 Member
    Options

check out the large frame BMI scale in this groups threads... i found the info and put it all together so it makes things a bit more manageable if you are a large frame :O)

Oh, thanks! Sorry I guess I didn't read carefully enough the first time around... I'll check that out now!
  • Jenn152
    Options
    Oh, thanks! Sorry I guess I didn't read carefully enough the first time around... I'll check that out now!

no worries! its info you will probably find very useful. its on like the last page of the topics since the group started.
  • cherdan
    cherdan Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11" and about 155 lbs right now, and I feel like I get more criticism now for being this weight than I ever did being 5'11" and 240 lbs. Damned if I do, damned if I don't :/ My own grandmother, who as a child of 8-9 years old chided me for "putting on plenty weight," recently told me my figure wasn't womanly enough, asking me where my "bosom and okole'" (butt) went. It's not my fault I've learned I have a naturally lean build, and tend to lose the bulk of my weight on my upper body and feminine areas.
    I've had several people tell me I should be "170 or 180," without me even telling them what my actual weight was. Goes to show you being tall makes you look a lot different than you may see yourself. I know that to be very true for me, now that I'm allowing myself to be photographed. I personally think you should be whatever weight you feel most comfortable at, just saying prepare yourself for the unsolicited idiocy that will accompany it!!