Challenges

Options
BrittneyOD
BrittneyOD Posts: 17 Member
So what kind of challenges are you facing with the holidays just around the corner?

Replies

• rjjones97
    Options
    I am looking forward to being with family, but I also would like to have some new recipes, to help keep on track. Anyone have any?!
  • finz96
    finz96 Posts: 102
    Options
    Hmmmm....challenges....obviously the food since I will not be cooking at either of the dinners I am attending. Both of Liyah's grandmas cook the old fashioned, artergy-clogging, fat-filled way. My plan for the first one this Saturday is to bring my own plain baked sweet potato with seasoning (love 'em!) and organic salad with fat free dressing. Of course, I will eat some turkey, too. :) That's an easy solution since it is only a couple blocks from home and more like a normal dinner with Thanksgiving foods and not a Thanksgiving smorgasbord. Not sure what I'm going to do when we travel to my mom's on Thanksgiving Day since it is over an hour away, and they put on the big Thanksgiving spread! Don't think there is ANY WAY to stick to the 1,200 calories that day!
  • finz96
    Options
    Definitely going to have to bring my own low-fat dessert to my mom's, for sure! :tongue:
  • finz96
    Options
    No, sorry Jani. Can count on one hand the number of recipes I use in a year. Usually, I just cook dishes I'm experienced doing, the normal stuff. Gerard doesn't have sophisticated tastebuds! :)
  • BrittneyOD
    Options
    Love your comment Kristy! I'm with ya, I plan to eat the food provided but I plan to use a smaller plate and not get refills. I will try to chose "healthier foods" over the bad ones. I am bringing fruit and coleslaw to one gathering, so at least I know how many calories are in those.

My other thought is look at all the food first, before you grab a plate. Then pull out your phone, start entering into myfitnesspal and go from there! Then you know what you want to spend your calories on.

Last but not least, exercise BEFORE going and after dinner get a quick walk in or play with the kids!
  • Amanda_brookers
    Options
    Good suggestions ladies!!!! :) My biggest hurdle is drinks... I don't drink often anymore, not at all. But, when we have our "friendsgiving", which is a yearly event when we have all our out of state friends and others over while they're still around and do the whole spread all over again (and with lots of wine and other alcoholic beverages) and stay up all night eating and drinking and enjoying one another. I ALWAYS end up indulging too much, on everything, and feel horrible for the entire weekend. So, that will be my big hurdle. Just have to try and sip (that's HARD) and perhaps drink a glass of water in between every other drink. We'll see!!! (I give myself a one day pass on the food, though.) Back to the healthy stuff the following day.
  • finz96
    Options
    Well, I can count on one hand the number of times I drink in a year usually, so that is not an issue for me. Thank heavens! I have enough issues! :) LOL!

Anyway, I'm definitely going to be using myfitnesspal like Brittney suggests! Also, my mom lives in the country, so there are plenty of country roads to wander down for a walk after Thanksgiving dinner. :) Good idea! As for this Saturday's dinner with Gerard's family, Janell will be kicking my butt that morning, so the pre-dinner work-out will definitely get done that day! Bonus strength training??? I'm kinda scared! ;)
  • BrittneyOD
    Options
    Yea, I'm scared too! lol

Amanda, about the drinks, Janell recommends MG64 if you "must" drink...I personally don't care for it, but I do like the Bud Select, its lower in carbs, not sure if that matters too much or not....but just try to limit yourself a bit and bring healthy snacks to have!
  • zumbanelly
    Options
    Well hello my Zumba peeps! Thanks Brittney for setting this up!! You're so great about things like this! My challenge is of course the sweets! Oh the sweets... and oh those wonderful yummy unneeded carbs and starches! But they're so good! That morning - I will load up on Fiber and "good" cals so that I am not at all "starving" when I am confronted by that massive, beautiful potluck spread!! I will be bringing a toss salad so that I can load my plate first with that. Then, just stick to my own rule I am always telling you: make sure the entree is no bigger than your first - then load the rest of your plate with fresh, good for you foods (just try and pick the foods with the least amount of starch)
  • finz96
    Options
    Jani, if you click on the community tab in the upper right, then scroll down....there is a main forum called Recipes. That might help you out. :) Also, try skinnytaste.com.
  • rjjones97
    Options
    Awesome ideas!! My "parties" will be the hardest with the apps...but i am doing the veggie tray and made the dip w/ greek yogurt instead of sour cream and spices that are NOT in a packet to cut down on the salt. ;) Planning on loading up with those and then small on the other things. Moderation, right!? I hope you all have a wonderful holiday!!! I am truly Thankful this season for getting a chance to meet so many new friends this year! I love you all!!!