Love Marriage vs. Arranged Marriage

Options
I don't know if this would apply to western culture since Arranged Marriages are far and few between, but for me, Arranged Marriage is still a very large part of my culture and has continued to exist in Western Culture

Both are accepted, both have their positive aspects and they both have their shortcomings.

The downside to both, arranged marriage you could get stuck with a bad apple with little chance of divorce, and Love marriage what if you never find your one true love, you end up settling and wishing you were with a previous love or be alone forever.

The upside to both, these days arranged marriages have a lot more research and information into compatibility, such as financial status, family background, upbringing, spiritual belief, the union of two people ends up being a union of familes. Love marriages genreally are based on how one feels for the other, if you two make a good team, encourage, help and support each other, love each other, willing to make sacrifices for each other, theme being each other without family involvement.

There are holes and exceptions to the rule as always in both arguments, but these are general high level observations.

Replies

• mikajoanow
    mikajoanow Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I can't even imagine an arranged marriage for myself. No thanks!
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I'm just gonna leave this here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP9Qno9Gxac
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I can see the good of both sides but I'm glad that arranged marriages are not something I had to consider. However, I do like the idea of a marriage being more of a union of families than an independent thing, it's very important to me that my husband is involved in my family and they all get along. I do believe that you can learn to be at peace and happy with someone even if you didn't marry for love and also that you can love someone but not live happily with them. I don't know that I would say that one is better than the other, but I am glad that I had a choice even though my first choice was a super crappy one. haha
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    I proposed to my wife, then we arranged to get married 18 months later. So far, so good.
  • SkateboardFi
    SkateboardFi Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    i've met people from both sides of this issue, and what i can honestly say...'love' marriage has far more divorces from what i've seen...
  • mvilla2426
    Options
    While arranged marriage isn't for me I can see how it would work for some people. There are good and bad marriages/reasons to be married/people to be married to, no matter if your marriage was arranged or not arranged.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    A greek dentist I worked for had an arranged marriage, they had been together like 55 years and seemed pretty happy. He said they weren't thrilled about it at first though.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    youd have to go into it with a totally different mindset.

Both types are a gamble