Water bottles

Options
mandy_lynn
mandy_lynn Posts: 165 Member
Do any of you use handheld bottles on your runs? My runs that are less than an hour I feel fine, but the longer runs and interval training sessions I get thirsty. I went to ****'s to get one, but it was kinda pricey. (Pricey to me, as I rarely spend money on myself) Any brands you like better than others? Or other suggestions for hydration?

Replies

• KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    6 plus miles and I will use a Nathan handheld filled with Nuun.
  • skemery
    skemery Posts: 100
    Options
    I have two Amphipod one's that I love. They are a little pricey, but in the long run cheaper than buying a bottle of water every time. And with the handstrap you don't have to grip it.
  • flvsusandy
    flvsusandy Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I use a fuel belt and found mine at TJMaxx for $10!! I didn't think I would be all about something being around my waist the whole time I run but you really get used to it. If you have one near you....it's worth a shot for the cheap price!
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of having to carry anything in my hands while I run. For me it makes me tense up my shoulders so I go with a 2 bottle fuel belt on my long runs. I get it nice and snug and push it down onto my hips and then can't even tell its there.

On my longer runs 10+ miles I wish I had the 4 bottle, but I'm not sure with the extra weight I'd like it. For now I just plan my runs to have places to stop to refill and I'm ok.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I've been looking around for a belt that I like the look of, but haven't found anything yet.
    But, it's coming into summer now and I find that I really need to carry water for runs that are over an hour.
    So I've been trying to be creative and use something I already have - I've tried carrying a regular plastic water bottle (annoying!) carried water in a little pouch I have with finger straps (also annoying, but slighly less than a regular bottle) and using a plain old bum bag (fanny pack) with a water bottle (looks very dorky, but works well as it has an extra pocket for keys, tissues and jelly beans).
    I will keep looking but for now will stick with my cheapy solution.
  • Orrgarde86
    Orrgarde86 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I don't use anything, but it's beginning to be a problem now that my distances are getting greater..
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I had an handheld ampiphod and found that my form was bad carrying it, my arms crossed too much in front of me. I switched over a few months ago for a Nathan FuelBelt (mine is the TrailRunner) and I've much happier - and faster :)
  • memobe
    memobe Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I use a handheld bottle holder by asics. it will hold a bottle and has a zipper where I can put a gel if I need one. I prefer not to carry anything, but use this on any runs usually longer than 6-7 miles. I also have a belt one, but really don't like running with anything bouncing on my waist. I guess I need to just get use to it.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I use camelbak, it is fuel belt kind of though. I can't hold things in my hands when I run though.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    i'm in the same boat. i simply can't run well carrying things in my hand. i find it really uncomfortable.
    i'm trying to find a fitting solution- i don't want the camelbak because i don't want to run with a backpack because i think it will rub on long runs. i'm debating a belt, but honestly don't like the idea of something jiggling around my waist. and what else is there, apart from planning your routes to coincide with shops?
  • millionsofpeaches
    Options
    I have one similar to this... http://www.rei.com/product/799336/nathan-quickdraw-plus-handheld-bottle

I have had a fuel belt as well and did not like having something sloshing around my waist while running... I have also tried running with my camel back and that was a sweaty mess...

It is really your preference. Try a few things to see what works for you. :0)
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    I have a hydration belt I use for runs over 7-8 miles. I'm not a huge fan of it and will probably look into a camelbak next spring. I just drink too much water for a regular handheld on runs that long.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    They have Nathan packs/bottles/belts on sale at The Clymb.

http://www.theclymb.com/invite-from/jamesnguyen
  • allenpearcy
    allenpearcy Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I have a Nathan water bottle holder, but mostly I carry a .5L spring water bottle with me (I keep a couple of flip-caps from other bottles for eady access). It fits nicely in my hand and doesn't require a belt. This works for up to 10M for me. for my Half-marathon, I just supplemented by using a few of the water stops. HTH.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I use an amphipod belt. I can cary 2-4 bottles. I've tried carrying a handheld, it throws me off, I don't like it.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I took a regular water bottle with me once when I was doing 12 miles and I hated having it in my hand the whole time. I'm glad I had water but hated carrying it, so I purchased a fuel belt so I can wear it and have my water with me. It has 4 small bottles. I haven't used it yet but I'm sure I will like it much better than carrying a water bottle.
  • ccmccoy09
    ccmccoy09 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    bump
  • pverbarg
    pverbarg Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I use the amphipod 4 bottle belt too. I vary the number of bottles depending on distance and use the pouch for my phone and gels (when needed). it did take some getting used to in order to make sure it's tight enough to not move a lot. an off running comment - putting in on and tightening it has been a great visual reminder of the inches off my waistline since I started running too!
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    I can't run with anything around my waist. I use the handheld and it holds 10 oz, which has been enough for me so far. I have also done the old fashioned: drive the route and lay out regular water bottles at strategic miles approach. For a 9 miler, I had one water bottle waiting at mile 3 and another at mile 6.5. I don't like to drink a lot while I'm running as it makes me feel slightly nauseous if I drink too much with it all sloshing in my stomach, but it also helps when I have a Gu gel to sit in my stomach too.
  • ccmccoy09
    ccmccoy09 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I bought this Nathan handheld:

http://www.nathansports.com/our-products/hydrationnutrition/handhelds/quickdraw-plus

I won't lie, it's a 22oz bottle and it's really bulky. But, it has a strap to tighten onto my hand so I don't actually have to hold it, it has a pocket for some cash and chomps or Beans, and it's hot pink. :)

I haven't used it on a run yet (just cross-training). My regular run route has water fountains along the beginning, but there is a long stretch at the end of my 6 mile there-and-back with no water that gets dicey. I'm going to need to start bringing water once I increase to 7 miles next week.