Why is Marijuana Illegal?

Options
daffodilsoup
daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
Recently, the White House rejected several "We The People" petitions to legalize and regulate marijuana in a similar manner as tobacco and alcohol. The most popular among them received nearly 75,000 signatures.

I feel very strongly about the legalization of marijuana. I don't believe the question should be "should marijuana be legalized" but "why is marijuana illegal?" We allow adults to choose to consume legal drugs such as tobacco products and alcohol (both proven to cause cancer, liver disease, and a multitude of other health risks), and yet marijuana is illegal. Nearly one out of every eight people incarcerated in the US prison system are there for marijuana-related offenses, not to mention that the "War on Drugs" disaster is a huge taxpayer expense.

George Washington and Thomas Jefferson both grew hemp on their property. Marijuana stimulates appetite and relieves nausea in cancer and AIDS patients.

A regulated, legal market for marijuana would not only generate revenue (tax), but it would reduce sales to minors. It would also create an entire job market, encourage the growth of hemp as an industry (tree-free paper, anyone?) and reduce the flow of money to international criminal gangs.

So I want to know - how do you feel about marijuana? Why is it illegal? Should it be illegal? Discuss.

Replies

• SkateboardFi
    SkateboardFi Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    because they wouldn't be able to tax it or control it
  • daffodilsoup
    Options

Why? They tax and control tobacco and alcohol.
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I'm all for it. I don't even consume marijuana myself (I don't need the appetite stimulation lol) but for all the reasons you mention, I think it should be legal. It's "decriminalized" where I live, which means possession of small quantities (less than 3g) is tolerated.
  • SkateboardFi
    Options

because marijuana can be grown and sold without government approval. they would overprice 'legal' mary jane which would in turn just make consumers find it cheaper illegally.
  • daffodilsoup
    Options

because marijuana can be grown and sold without government approval. they would overprice 'legal' mary jane which would in turn just make consumers find it cheaper illegally.

I mean sure, you could. But you can also make moonshine in your bathtub - doesn't mean prohibition of alcohol should have stayed in place either.

As a consumer, it would be easier and more convenient for me to waltz into my local ShopRite and pick up my veggies, tofu and marijuana for the week. It's probably a lot cheaper to grow your own tobacco, dry it, and roll it into your own cigarettes than pay $13 per pack (in my home state of New Jersey). Plus, a lot of the people who are pushing for legalization would rather pay the extra tax and obtain it from a legal source and be able to smoke on their porch.
  • SkateboardFi
    Options

I mean sure, you could. But you can also make moonshine in your bathtub - doesn't mean prohibition of alcohol should have stayed in place either.

As a consumer, it would be easier and more convenient for me to waltz into my local ShopRite and pick up my veggies, tofu and marijuana for the week. It's probably a lot cheaper to grow your own tobacco, dry it, and roll it into your own cigarettes than pay $13 per pack (in my home state of New Jersey). Plus, a lot of the people who are pushing for legalization would rather pay the extra tax and obtain it from a legal source and be able to smoke on their porch.

i'm not siding with the current illegal status of marijuana if that's what you're thinking. i'm answering why they have it illegal.
  • daffodilsoup
    Options

i'm not siding with the current illegal status of marijuana if that's what you're thinking. i'm answering why they have it illegal.

It's all good! This was the official White House response to the reasons why marijuana would not and could not be legalized in the United States:

"When the President took office, he directed all of his policymakers to develop policies based on science and research, not ideology or politics. So our concern about marijuana is based on what the science tells us about the drug's effects.

According to scientists at the National Institutes of Health -- the world's largest source of drug abuse research -- marijuana use is associated with addiction, respiratory disease, and cognitive impairment. We know from an array of treatment admission information and Federal data that marijuana use is a significant source for voluntary drug treatment admissions and visits to emergency rooms. Studies also reveal that marijuana potency has almost tripled over the past 20 years, raising serious concerns about what this means for public health -– especially among young people who use the drug because research shows their brains continue to develop well into their 20's. Simply put, it is not a benign drug.

Like many, we are interested in the potential marijuana may have in providing relief to individuals diagnosed with certain serious illnesses. That is why we ardently support ongoing research into determining what components of the marijuana plant can be used as medicine. To date, however, neither the FDA nor the Institute of Medicine have found smoked marijuana to meet the modern standard for safe or effective medicine for any condition.

As a former police chief, I recognize we are not going to arrest our way out of the problem. We also recognize that legalizing marijuana would not provide the answer to any of the health, social, youth education, criminal justice, and community quality of life challenges associated with drug use.

That is why the President's National Drug Control Strategy is balanced and comprehensive, emphasizing prevention and treatment while at the same time supporting innovative law enforcement efforts that protect public safety and disrupt the supply of drugs entering our communities. Preventing drug use is the most cost-effective way to reduce drug use and its consequences in America. And, as we've seen in our work through community coalitions across the country, this approach works in making communities healthier and safer. We're also focused on expanding access to drug treatment for addicts. Treatment works. In fact, millions of Americans are in successful recovery for drug and alcoholism today. And through our work with innovative drug courts across the Nation, we are improving our criminal justice system to divert non-violent offenders into treatment.

Our commitment to a balanced approach to drug control is real. This last fiscal year alone, the Federal Government spent over $10 billion on drug education and treatment programs compared to just over $9 billion on drug related law enforcement in the U.S.

Thank you for making your voice heard. I encourage you to take a moment to read about the President's approach to drug control to learn more."

Maybe my phrasing "why is marijuana illegal" was a poor choice of words. I am mostly interested on people's opinions of legalization - sorry about that!
  • SkateboardFi
    Options

It's all good! This was the official White House response to the reasons why marijuana would not and could not be legalized in the United States:

"When the President took office, he directed all of his policymakers to develop policies based on science and research, not ideology or politics. So our concern about marijuana is based on what the science tells us about the drug's effects.

According to scientists at the National Institutes of Health -- the world's largest source of drug abuse research -- marijuana use is associated with addiction, respiratory disease, and cognitive impairment. We know from an array of treatment admission information and Federal data that marijuana use is a significant source for voluntary drug treatment admissions and visits to emergency rooms. Studies also reveal that marijuana potency has almost tripled over the past 20 years, raising serious concerns about what this means for public health -– especially among young people who use the drug because research shows their brains continue to develop well into their 20's. Simply put, it is not a benign drug.

Like many, we are interested in the potential marijuana may have in providing relief to individuals diagnosed with certain serious illnesses. That is why we ardently support ongoing research into determining what components of the marijuana plant can be used as medicine. To date, however, neither the FDA nor the Institute of Medicine have found smoked marijuana to meet the modern standard for safe or effective medicine for any condition.

As a former police chief, I recognize we are not going to arrest our way out of the problem. We also recognize that legalizing marijuana would not provide the answer to any of the health, social, youth education, criminal justice, and community quality of life challenges associated with drug use.

That is why the President's National Drug Control Strategy is balanced and comprehensive, emphasizing prevention and treatment while at the same time supporting innovative law enforcement efforts that protect public safety and disrupt the supply of drugs entering our communities. Preventing drug use is the most cost-effective way to reduce drug use and its consequences in America. And, as we've seen in our work through community coalitions across the country, this approach works in making communities healthier and safer. We're also focused on expanding access to drug treatment for addicts. Treatment works. In fact, millions of Americans are in successful recovery for drug and alcoholism today. And through our work with innovative drug courts across the Nation, we are improving our criminal justice system to divert non-violent offenders into treatment.

Our commitment to a balanced approach to drug control is real. This last fiscal year alone, the Federal Government spent over $10 billion on drug education and treatment programs compared to just over $9 billion on drug related law enforcement in the U.S.

Thank you for making your voice heard. I encourage you to take a moment to read about the President's approach to drug control to learn more."

Maybe my phrasing "why is marijuana illegal" was a poor choice of words. I probably should have asked why people still do not support legalization - sorry about that!

no need to apologize, i just didn't want you thinking i was siding with the government on this one..i think it's completely bogus..they have no ground to stand on.

i think with all the funds they would save on the 'drug war' against marijuana and criminalization could be used to fund treatment centers for addicts of more serious drugs that have proven to kill and be dangerously addictive. the only think mary jane ever did to me was raid my fridge :laugh:
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    It's illegal because there is no "Legal marijuana" lobbyist group paying off politicians. There's nothing in it for them and those against it are extremely vocal so it would ruin their chances at re-election. It's all about the money. Yes, legalizing it and taxing it would raise money. But that money would go to the government as a whole. The money the politicians want is the kind that lines their own fat, greedy pockets.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    It's illegal because of racism, profiteering and Harry Anslinger. That's why.

There's not a single good reason for it to be illegal. Not one.
  • Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    How cool would it be if there WAS an easy way to legalize, tax and regulate it? BOOM! More happy people, deficit crisis SOLVED!** Let's take this to the Supercommittee today!!! :smokin:

**Gross overgeneralization, but a girl can dream, right?!
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    We "legalized" it in Michigan, although that is a very loose term as it's under attack. Anyway, people pay $100 to the state just to possess a card. Dispensaries are/have been opened where people with cards can get it legally. If the gov't would step up and try to impose regulations on these dispensaries all would be good, people would get their pot and the gov't could make some money off of them. Instead, they want to shut them down. Yes, most people would rather go buy it than grow it. While anyone CAN do it, it isn't easy or cheap. It takes room, special equipment, care, time, and electricity for a start.

Also, by decriminalizing it, less money is spent on these people in prison and prosecuting them. The law can stick to the abusers of the system instead of the little guy who just wants to get high. In our world where the focus has been on cutting the budget, this would totally achieve that as well as bring in revenue without taxing.
  • Sublimely_Self_Righteousreused
    Options
    It's illegal because of George Bush.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

Yet people still buy beer.
  • Sublimely_Self_Righteousreused
    Options

Yet people still buy beer.

And brew beer too.
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    It's against the law. Get over it.

That's my opinion, and I'm sticking with it!

edited to add: There are plenty of things that ARE against the law that I wish weren't, but this isn't one of them.
  • rippedin12
    Options
    Marijuana in my opinion should be legal and treated just like alcohol, certain age to smoke, can't consume while or under the influence operate a vehicle.

Why Marijuana is illegal today, lack of government and pharmaceutical control. Lets face it, pharmaceuticals can't control something natural and governemnt can't make money off of it. Keeping marijuana illegal employs far more people. Judicial System (attorneys and judges), police, doctors, R&D, pot growers, transporters. Legalizing would possibly hurt the economy more than help.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    It's against the law. Get over it.

That's my opinion, and I'm sticking with it!

edited to add: There are plenty of things that ARE against the law that I wish weren't, but this isn't one of them.

Unfortunately to achieve real change getting over it doesn't work very effectively. Persistence works better, and with 75,000 signatures on just that petition it's obvious people want to make this happen, just have to keep at it. Personally if we could switch marijuana with alcohol it would make much more sense.
  • thor1god1of1awesome
    Options
    God I could use a smoke right now...
    Not that do it anyway nervous laugh
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    hehe we drug test people where I work all the time (we prescribe pain medicine) and we always get the 40-50yo people very distinguished looking and very quietly they say.......Um my employer won't see this right, I smoked some last night..............just once in a while to help me sleep. Haha little do they know that's what everyone says.