just a few questions

Options
Hi everyone,

I just recently found out I am gluten sensiitve and have a few questions for people who have actually lived with this. I am an American living overseas at the moment and I haven't been home in a while.

My questions for you are:

When you first switched to gluten free and you started eating gluten free bread did it fill you up much faster? I had some gluten free toast this morning and I couldn't even make it through the second piece before calling it quites, and I'm still not hungry 3 hours later. (very unusual, this makes me concerned about getting in all my calories)

What kind of gluten free flour have you found to work the best, compared to wheat flour for making things like pie crusts, cookies, pizza crust, etc.

How hard it is to eat out in the US having a gluten intolerence/senstivity?

Replies

• CaraBeara1
    Options
    Hi, welcome to the gf club. :)

When you first switched to gluten free and you started eating gluten free bread did it fill you up much faster?
    I noticed what you noticed with gf breads and I've heard this from other people, too. I immediately went from being able to eat a large percentage of a pizza to 1-2 slices of a much smaller gf pizza. Gluten can screw with your appistat and cross the blood/brain barrier and have an opiate reaction on the brain so maybe that explains it. Or maybe gluten packs down better than the gf stuff. :) Now, I did have an insatiable appetite for things like steak and butter once going gf, maybe because I was so nutrient deficient.

How hard it is to eat out in the US having a gluten intolerance/sensitivity?
    If you like salad and bunless burgers, and aren't too sensitive to cross-contamination, it's not hard. Nearly every place has a salad without croutons. Personally, I can't eat out too many meals in a row or I start feeling rough. I'm guessing this is due to too much cross-contamination, possibly.
  • beach_chelle
    Options
    Thanks so much! And I have noticed I am eating a lot of red meats and dairy products. I am going through twice as much milk and eating way more cheese then I have in the past.

Its amazing how much our body will tell us if we only listen. Appreciate the insight. :)
  • Firefly1972
    Options
    I think GF bread fills me up faster because it is made with better (and more filling) grains. As for eating out, I think it really depends on where you live. My son and I are lucky to live in an area that not only has many "normal" restaurants that serve gluten free items, but we also have GF restaurants and bakeries. We have found it much more difficult to eat out when we're traveling, especially in more rural areas.
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Never noticed being full faster. But GF bread is VERY dense! and very high in calories!

Its SO EASY now to eat out...depending on where you live. I live in a "larger" city and there are so many places. Chains have joined the GF train like Olive Garden, Outback, chick fil a , wendys, PF Changs and a ton more!

Whenever I travel I search online for places with GF options or chefs that are aware. I am not insensitive though I have celiac so its much more dangerous for me. We just went to Savannah GA and found a local Italian place with GF pasta. Found a pizza place with GF pizza. Found a few bars with GF beer:) Its changed so much in the last 10 yrs!!
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options

What kind of gluten free flour have you found to work the best, compared to wheat flour for making things like pie crusts, cookies, pizza crust, etc.

How hard it is to eat out in the US having a gluten intolerence/senstivity?

I use rice flours (3 different kinds), some nut flours, and coconut flour depending on what I'm making. I'm also a total GF snob. I hate the mixes and I love to bust out all the GF flours and bake that way. I have tried two kinds of store bought bread and I hated both of them. :-/

I have Celiac, I'm highly sensitive to gluten, I have found that if I choose the place carefully I'm golden.