Long Distance Paces

Options
sarah307
sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
I am new to running :)

I started in Sept and have improved a lot since!!! Today I ran 7.32 miles in 1 hr and 40 minutes --- which would make my pace something like 13:37

is that a good pace for a beginning like me?! I am super proud of this accomplishment and feel great!!

but i was just wondering what the average pace is for long distance runners!!!??

Replies

• allenpearcy
    allenpearcy Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    My first couple of 5Ks in April and May where in the 13-14 min/mi range. Over the last months I have picked up quite a bit. My 10K in Sept and Half earlier this month were both around 10.5 min/mi. In the past few weeks, I have been back on the treadmill with colder weather and I am using it to push myself on speed. My last two runs, both 5k) have been around 9.5 mins/mi. My eventual goal is 7 mins/mi!

Good luck and just keep plugging away!
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    when i started out, i was at about a 15 min mile (i was the one that created that speed on the database!!). i can now run a 5k at a 10 min mile (my goal is to run 5k in 29:59!). longer runs tend to have me sitting at about a 12-13 min mile. but i don't worry about my speed on longer runs- i just think about completing the distance! i'm just learning about having different speeds other than stop and go!
    but i say don't worry about speed. it will increase naturally as you build your endurance. and it's about what you can do and the race against yourself!
    but in answer to your question, i reckon a 13:37 pace is freaking awesome!
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    thanks!!

these answers helped me a lot!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    How long have you been running? I'm a firm believer in distance first than speed. I ran my marathon at 11:17, when I had been running for only 6 months total. After that, I worked on speed, I did my half marathons at a 9:54 pace, and am currently training runs for another half at 9:16. I've worked very hard on speed, after I got my distance down. Weight loss seems to be one of the biggest factors in increasing my speed. I'm older too, so that also in a factor. I am reading Hal Higdon's book on Run Faster, it's been a great bit of useful information regarding speed training.
  • skemery
    skemery Posts: 100
    Options
    I'm pretty consistently at around 12 minutes for long runs. The struggle for me is to hold back for the first few miles because I need to save my legs for the distance. Shorter runs are pretty much in the 10-11 minute range. I'm sure I'll never run a sub-30 5k, but really who cares? I'd rather run a slow marathon than a fast 5k any day.
  • j_courter
    j_courter Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    you started in september and you're running almost two hours at a time! in my opinion just being able to do that is fantastic! :-) if you really want to work on speed, you could work in some interval training and some hill training... you could also do HIIT training. (google it if you're not familiar with it.) i just started in august, but these things have helped me a lot! :-)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Running paces are very individualized. Be proud of whatever pace you run at. Over time and just logging the miles, your pace will most likely quicken naturally. Good job!
  • BroDave
    BroDave Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I'd rather run a slow marathon than a fast 5k any day.

That's exactly the way I see it.
  • allenpearcy
    allenpearcy Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Sarah, as a follow up I wanted to let you know that the treadmill "pacing" I did really paid off. On Thanksgiving, I ran a 4.5 mile "Drumstick Dash" at a pace of 9:19. My first 7 miles of my half earlier this month was at 10:01 pace. So, as much as I hate them, I would recommend using the treadmill to experiment with finding/tuning your pace.
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    Running paces are very individualized. Be proud of whatever pace you run at. Over time and just logging the miles, your pace will most likely quicken naturally. Good job!
    This.

Just be proud that you are out there logging miles and know that no matter how fast/slow you go you are lapping all those still sitting on the couch!
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    double post
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    im quite new distance running but not speed, i run at 9-9.5min mile paces. i slow down to 10min miles for longer runs.