Blurry issue

Options
Tmbrooks75
Tmbrooks75 Posts: 182 Member
What better group to pose this question to than here. I have a Canon Powershot ELPH 100 HS. It has rapid fire photo capability. My problem is, the whole point of taking a rapid fire sequence is that something is moving fast. Well.... if its moving fast than the shot is blurry. What can I do to get these multiple shots and not be blurry? or am I just stuck with that as a problem.

Replies

• King_Bee
    King_Bee Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    If you can't adjust your shutter speed, I would suggest using a higher ISO.
  • Tmbrooks75
    Options
    the problem with this camera is, in order to get the high speed burst, its preprogrammed in for the settings. I dont thinkI can change any of that. :(
  • King_Bee
    Options
    Is the flash on? what is the setting you're trying to photograph? Short of adding more light I can't think of anything you can do to take the blur out of your photo. I'm guessing the blur is coming from your subject moving and not camera shake. You can try bracing your elbow on something when you take the photo but I'm not sure this is going to work in your case.

Anyone else have any ideas?
  • Tmbrooks75
    Options
    the lighting wasnt the best. camera was on a tripod. trying to photograph a horse running. but also, have tried shooting my son playing soccer which is much slower and still got blurry pics. Every burst shot ive taken has been blurry.
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • King_Bee
    Options
    Might want to try moving out of burst mode? Better to have 1 good shot as opposed to 20 blurry shots?
  • brianward81
    brianward81 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I don't own that camera but it looks similar to my lil Canon point and shoot. I learned the basics on that and now have a Canon 40D.

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/5/0300004755/01/PSELPH100HS_IXUS115HS_CUG_EN_02.pdf

Go into Program AE (P Mode) - You will now be able to change you ISO speed.

Press the Func/Set button, scroll to ISO and change it to ISO1600 or ISO3200.

Press the Func/Set button, scroll to the rectangle box, press func/set again then scroll to the pic of three stacked rectangles then press Func/Set again.

This will allow shots to be taken with less light and reduce your blurring. However they will be noisier than shots taken with a lower ISO. This is the trade off with ISO. You can get the shots with less light but the more light you have the better. A lower ISO will result in cleaner shots with less noise but you need LOTS of light at say ISO 100 to get a crisp shot of something moving. If you are getting crisp shots at ISO1600, try to lower the ISO by one setting (to ISO800 for example) and see if you still get crisp shots at that speed. The lower you can go the better but depending on the light will determine what you are able to shoot at.

Hope this helps!
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    Better to have 1 good shot as opposed to 20 blurry shots?

ABSOLUTELY!
  • Kolohe71
    Kolohe71 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Question:
    Are you panning (moving from side to side) the camera as you are taking the pictures? If so, then it is nearly impossible to get absolutely clear backgrounds because you are introducing "Motion Blur" into your pictures. Instead of trying to eliminate it, take advantage if it and use it as an element of movement in the picture. Done correctly it can be a very interesting and powerful effect. Some of my favorite car and animal pictures use this technique.

More on this technique:
    http://www.digital-photography-school.com/mastering-panning-to-photograph-moving-subjects

Examples:
    panning-photo2.jpg
    panning-photo4.jpg
    panning-photo14.jpg
    panning-photo18.jpg

Note: Included photographs are not my own and are shown for illustration of technique only.
  • lolainlondon
    lolainlondon Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    The other option would be to try a tripod. Set it up and trigger the shutter just before your subject comes into shot. You can also use it to pan smoothly which helps get the nice effects that Kolohe71 showed. It may feel like overkill for a point and shoot, but with the little light that gets into their shutters they need all the help they can get.