November 21 - YOU time....

Options
carolina_r
carolina_r Posts: 359 Member
NOVEMBER 21

THIS WEEK’S TASK: TRACK IT…FIBER!!!

One of the great things about MFP is that you can customize it to your needs…This week, try tracking your fiber intake. Are you getting enough?

If you are new to MFP and unsure about how to track fiber:
- click on the “food” tab
- click “settings”
- you can change the nutrients you track here

THIS WEEK’S POLL: HOW DO YOU MAKE TIME FOR YOU?

Life as a mom can get pretty hectic, and we often forget to make time for ourselves.
Share with the group how you manage to carve out time for yourself. What do you do with that time? (Or, what do you WISH you could do?)

Replies

• redmanis
    Options
    With 3 kiddos 5,3 and 3 months it is hard to find me time. I have an extremely involved husband and he allows me time to go shopping, which is my alone, me time! Even if it's for 1 or 2 hours, it's a nice break! I think it's extremely important to have me time because it makes me a better mommy and wife! It's important not to give up our dreams and hobbies just because we have kids.
  • feydruss
    feydruss Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I wish I could add fiber, but it seems like you can only track three macros. I track carbs, fat, protein, sugar and sodium. I can check fiber on my phone, but not on the website? Weird...

As for ME time... I have a nanny and a few reliable babysitters, which helps! My DH works long hours sometimes and travels, so I need the help with two babies on the move. In the last couple of weeks they've started crawling and standing and GETTING INTO EVERYTHING, so any extra eyes and hands are very useful. :)

I try to take "me time" at the gym, or doing errands, or something productive. I need to be more structured about it soon, in order to get some work done. I can't be trusted to use the home office, I get too distracted by the kids or the possibility of a nap. ;) So I need to take my laptop to the nearest library branch and sit there for a couple of hours.
  • Courtney_0_0
    Options
    me time? LOL not sure what that is. i have mom time, grocery time, cleaning time, dissertating time (50 pages, so far)--me time *might* be getting a shower every morning... ;) my lawyer husband works too much (usually leaves by 8 am home at 10 pm at least 5, usually 6 days a week) for either of us to have any time for ourselves--in fact, we just recently went on our first date since Liam was born... Did I mention he's almost 18 mos old? In earnest, eeking out 30 mins a day to record or post on MFP is about the extent of my daily me time--and why my exercise is so low, as it's always focused around what L & I can do together. :/ It's hard, and I commisserate with all of you who are in similar places--and respect all of you with multiple children who manage all this, more, and MFP!
  • livehappe
    livehappe Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Yes, I plan to get my fiber on this week. I had been doing a flush that did not allow for much fiber, and I never felt too full. Now, I am trying to get more in, and more fruit fiber as well.

Me time is tough with 4 kids, and 3 under 3.... but I am lucky to have a super dooper spouse. He is in the military and in the next few weeks, he is gone 10 out of 21 days which will make it tough.

But, my me time is usually at 8pm onward. During my me time, I write a blog, and I am working on a novel. I usually do my exercise routine with the kids, or my long runs when my husband can care for the rest of the crew. My next reward at 50 pounds is a day trip to the spa and I'm really excited to get there just to have that much time to myself....
  • nroisland
    nroisland Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'll try and work on fiber, as for "me time" that is during naptime. I usually get atleast 2 hours of quiet, watch whatever I want, work out and shower which I need to reboot for the afternoon/evening. I've gotten a few hours out and about by myself thanks to my husband or our babysitter. But that doesn't happen very often, I think after we get over our latest sickness (pink eye with a 2 year old and a 9 month old is no fun) in the house I'm going to take an afternoon to get a massage or just go to the mall and walk around.
  • carolina_r
    Options
    Before I went on mat leave, I had a huge list of creative endeavours I thought I would be able to tackle while on mat leave...three mid-sized acrylic paintings to hang in my living room...finish my wedding scrapbook...create a photo story of a recent trip to Portugal...illustrate the children's story my dad wrote...and it goes on and on.

WHAT was I thinking??? I figured baby would sleep quite a bit, and I could sneak in a little creativity into each week, or perhaps even into each day....

Alas, it has not turned out this way. Instead, I mainly get time for me as follows:

1) once or twice a week, hubby takes care of the baby so that I can wash my hair (the only time I can actually enjoy my shower, as opposed to rushing to finish in case the baby wakes up).
    2) reading a book for a few minutes before going to bed
    3) making time for MFP - logging my food, trying to exercise, the odd blog entry, and involvement in this group - this has become my creative outlet.
  • SmangeDiggs
    SmangeDiggs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Wow me time what is that again..lol. I enjoy going to the gym because thats my me time, its the only time in the day where im selfish and focus completely on myself and i love it. As much as i hate being at work instead at home with my 5mth old work is my get away from home, children and partner demands..now if only i could stop patients from turning up for appointments it would be perfect!
  • stritte14
    stritte14 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Me Time...don't know if I should post to this thread right now cause this is a topic I am so overly BITTER about a lot of the time lately. I find that the only way I can honestly get any time to myself is to be doing something that my husband does not want to do (ie if I make sure she is alone in the bathroom cleaning it, then I won't have to clean it or if I let her go outside and rake the leaves, then I won't have to do it). I think that us women are so concious of our home environments and the things that need to get done, that we have an incredibly hard time sitting down after the kids are in bed and doing nothing while the counters are diirty, the laundry is piling high and the floor needs to be swept. I strongly feel that we need that time, it is just hard for us to make it. I try each day to spend atleast half an hour of the kids' nap time on here, reading posts etc to help me stay motivated. I also try to get to the gym 3 or 4 times a week for an hour, because that will truly get me some time to myself, to focus on myself. But let's be honest, that benefits my husband too if I return to my former hotness ;)
  • Jaytee79
    Jaytee79 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    My youngest learned to walk recently. There is barely time to log my food these days- let alone post! The only me time I seem to get right now is to go out and run. Luckily, my husband is very supportive of my new lifestyle changes so even after a long day of work he is happy to take the kids so I can exercise.
  • CourtneyLeigh83
    CourtneyLeigh83 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I find I have a lot of "me time". I have been blessed with two very good sleepers. My almost 4 year old has slept through the night since she was born (7:30pm-9am) and my son who is almost 4 months has been sleeping through the night for about 2 months now and prior to that was only getting up once around 5:30am and going back to sleep until about 8:30. So I have had the luxury of being well rested pretty much the entire time I have had kids, so once they are in bed at 8pm I have the rest of the evening to myself as I usually am not in bed until 11:30ish. My husband works most evenings and when he is home during the day we share a lot of the housework so neither of us ever has that much to do and I can spend my evenings scrapbooking, reading and exercising. I also have time during the day when my daughter is in school and my son is napping - he usually has 2 good 2-3 hour naps and 1-2 shorter 1 hour naps. I'm surprised at how much time I actually have to myself - please don't hate me :)
  • carolina_r
    Options
    I find I have a lot of "me time". I have been blessed with two very good sleepers. My almost 4 year old has slept through the night since she was born (7:30pm-9am) and my son who is almost 4 months has been sleeping through the night for about 2 months now and prior to that was only getting up once around 5:30am and going back to sleep until about 8:30. So I have had the luxury of being well rested pretty much the entire time I have had kids, so once they are in bed at 8pm I have the rest of the evening to myself as I usually am not in bed until 11:30ish. My husband works most evenings and when he is home during the day we share a lot of the housework so neither of us ever has that much to do and I can spend my evenings scrapbooking, reading and exercising. I also have time during the day when my daughter is in school and my son is napping - he usually has 2 good 2-3 hour naps and 1-2 shorter 1 hour naps. I'm surprised at how much time I actually have to myself - please don't hate me :)

I definitely don't hate you!!!! It is great to see that this IS possible!!!