general group discussion :)

Options
hi,

I could use some advice: I receive communion through the papal dispensation of having my own cup (gluten free) during mass. A young alter boy mentioned that he recognized me because I do this, then made the off hand remark that he understood why because he has celiac sprue. I was shocked and asked him why he didn't receive from the gluten free cup too, because he can. He replied that "no, I have celiac not an alcoholism." Shocked. That was (to me) not only rude, but blasphemous. Was he calling me an alcoholic? Did he not understand what he just said? Did he just make light of the Eucharist? Do I ignore it or do I talk with his mother? It troubles me that I was hurt by the statement, but it also troubles me on so many levels that if the boy thinks that way as well as IF he has celiac why he is not receiving the gluten free option. What do you think?

Replies

• grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Kids say the darnest things. Don't take it personally.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    hi,

I could use some advice: I receive communion through the papal dispensation of having my own cup (gluten free) during mass. A young alter boy mentioned that he recognized me because I do this, then made the off hand remark that he understood why because he has celiac sprue. I was shocked and asked him why he didn't receive from the gluten free cup too, because he can. He replied that "no, I have celiac not an alcoholism." Shocked. That was (to me) not only rude, but blasphemous. Was he calling me an alcoholic? Did he not understand what he just said? Did he just make light of the Eucharist? Do I ignore it or do I talk with his mother? It troubles me that I was hurt by the statement, but it also troubles me on so many levels that if the boy thinks that way as well as IF he has celiac why he is not receiving the gluten free option. What do you think?

My guess is he had no understanding of why you were actually having your own cup. He may only have had the experience of this in the case of alcoholics. I would speak to the person at the church who trains the altar servers, and not his parents.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    I agree with what macpatti said; mention it to whoever trains the altar servers.

You said that he was young so he may just not fully understand the situation. Don't take it personally.
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    thanks guys. I appreciate the helpful advice. So, are the Americas ready for the new translations added to the mass? I can't wait, as it drives me crazy that the Misa is fine, but Mass is off kilter. It will be really good to go to an English speaking mass and it will finally line up w/ the Italian and the Espanol ones I do too.
  • macpatti
    Options
    thanks guys. I appreciate the helpful advice. So, are the Americas ready for the new translations added to the mass? I can't wait, as it drives me crazy that the Misa is fine, but Mass is off kilter. It will be really good to go to an English speaking mass and it will finally line up w/ the Italian and the Espanol ones I do too.

We've been practicing the new translations for a few months now. I'm looking forward to it!
  • BestCindyICanBe
    BestCindyICanBe Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I am also looking forward to the new translation. Father Gary has been giving us information about it for a year. I think that the change is going to be beautiful. I also think that I personally have gotten complacent in the Mass. With 4 kids to watch and make sure they are behaving I often just say the words because they are memorized instead of thinking about what the words mean. This means I will have to pay attention and that will help me have a better experience at Mass.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options

We've been phasing in parts of it gradually over the last few months. They probably wanted people to get used to idea that it was changing.

My mother and my aunt say that the new translation is closer to the translations they learned when they were young (when the Mass was said in Latin).
  • macpatti
    Options
    I agree that many of us will have to pay more attention now! :smile:
  • busywaterbending
    Options
    so I participated in mass in Laguna HIlls, CA and was shocked that Not only were the few who responded wrong, but that the priest didn't even correct anyone. At the end, no one responded to the priest. ;( I had to do a double take to make sure I was in a Roman Catholic Church! I guess the Catholics in CA don't do anything. totally weird!

Off to teach CCD tonite with a sore throat. I wasn't feeling good after the massively windy weekend in CA, and woke up w/ a sore throat this am. I think the kids will make a birthday cake for Jesus and we will discuss Traditions in the Church. :) This presacramentals class is fun, but tonight is the last nite before the break and they learned everything they had to this semester.
  • macpatti
    Options
    I'm working with the children's Christmas choir at church tonight, and I'm sick too. Sore throat, headache, runny nose. Yuck.
  • busywaterbending
    Options
    I have the sore throat, tired, tummy flu with the unmentionable and not so lovely "side effect". ;(
    Low grade temp has me thinking that I must have picked this flu up very recently, either in my way home from CA, or the day I got back. It seems that there were allot of sick people at the mass I went to in CA (I never shake anyone's hands if they are the least bit sniffely), and everyone here in TX is coughing and hacking! Burn bans are being ignored as some farmers burn their heaps of garbage, adding too much particulate to the air.

I hate it when sick people go to Church! Stay home if you have a runny nose or are coughing!!! you are sick! And what's with the parents sending their kids to CCD that way? makes me upset when I see a child who is obviously sick. Allergies my butt..... Come and pick them up. I don't want their germs. Snot and flying phlem is the best way to share it and most people don't prevent the spread of their snot very well at all.

I hope you feel better Mcpatti. Don't be sharing your germs....
  • macpatti
    Options
    Seriously........I can't stand when someone is coughing, sneezing, wiping their nose with their hand during mass, then wants to hold mine during The Lord's Prayer, and then goes to share the cup! STAY HOME!
  • macpatti
    Options
    I hope you feel better Mcpatti. Don't be sharing your germs....

Oh, and I stayed home!
  • busywaterbending
    Options
    good, glad you are taking care of yourself! Get well soon.

And, holding hands is not part of the ritual. The norm is that if you do anything that is NOT perscribed by the Office of Worship, then you are performing Mass wrong. Holding hands is not mentioned, therefore you are not supposed to hold hands! And the communion cup being offered is pretty much an expired "experiement" that the North American bishops were suppossed to stop doing.... USCCB has yet to acknowledge that the Holy See does not permit the cup to be offered unless in special circumstances or by a papal dispensation like for Celiacs.

What makes me crazy is when the layity mirror the body gestures of the priest during the Eucharistic prayers! OMg! Wrong in so many ways!!! Not even the deacons or the alter servers open their arms! Only the priest opens his arms! And even then, his hands are completely closed and his arms are making the shape of the cross.... (personal gripe, not picking on anyone here!)

What ever happened to teaching people how to perform the mass gesticulations properly, don't people get taught anymore? *~* I am so glad that there are still parishes out there that don't allow for wrong kinds of "worship" during the mass where I go. There's nothing wrong with a Catholic who is ignorant about the ritual, but it's a shame all in all if they are. Try "performing" the mass in a Trinidine Latin ritual the wrong way and you may get kicked out! I feel like we should have the same respect for the Novus Ordo ritual (but that's just me).
  • macpatti
    Options
    We have a new pastor who is making the appropriate changes/corrections.
  • busywaterbending
    Options
    http://www.salem-news.com/articles/november292011/vaccines-contaminated-se.php

sterilization and horrible diseases are being passed on via vaccines. No lie.

Don't immunize your kids or yourself anymore, seriously. You could get something much worse than that flu vaccine! As Catholics, we have the right, religiously, to be exempt from immunizing our children and ourselve. It's a battle that I think should really be taken up by Catholics everywhere. Sterilization? uh, no thanks!!!