What motivates you?

Options
missdaisy79
missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
What keeps you doing what you do? On those cold dark mornings, what gets your warm sleepy body out of that comfy bed and working out/jogging in the dark/down the gym?

This morning I was full of good intentions to go to the gym, and 7am rolled round, I sat up and the husband was like "don't go", so I lay down and slept for another hour!! I then got up, did a 15 minute yoga routine, and went to the gym at lunch time. It wasn't what I'd planned, but I still did stuff.

So how do you keep motivated?

Replies

• LazyDavid
    Options
    At the moment I'm procrastinating! I'm working from home today and I planned to do a back workout roundabout now......

So I've come on here looking for motivation! Must be working 'coz at 15:30 I'm getting off my lazy @rse and heading up to the gym! :o)
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    i started running again. i used to love cross country as i like being out in the fields and woodland so on my day off i go up to my local forest and do a run/walk up there and watch the squirells and birds etc. on other days i've started running round my local streets and to keep me motivated i signed up to game on a running website where we run through virtual checkpoints to collect points i currently have 1086 points (i lose 9 a day at the moment because i still have some bugs within my mile radius that i haven't pushed out) which puts me at 486 in the leader board out of 1252 not bad for someone who is still a beginner and only runs a couple of miles at most. its certainly giving me a bit of motivation
  • Frannybobs
    Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Tricky one that. Sometimes I'm so motivated nothing is going to stop me - not the weather or anything, but sometimes I'm so tired I find it difficult to make myself. I live on my own so don't have anyone to encourage or discourage me which can be both a blessing or a curse. If only we could bottle that super motivated feeling and take some when we're tired or fed up or it's raining!!
  • panyg
    panyg Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    It might sound silly but I have a picture of when I was slim as the wallpaper on my phone. I look at my phone all day and seeing myself looking half decent helps motivate me to get back there one day!

Also, my moods dictate my motivation!
  • annemckee
    annemckee Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    In July I am going to Barcelona with my 3 sisters. We go on holiday together every time one of us turns 50. This is my youngest sister's holiday. I know it is going to be hot and I don't want to be the covered up fat one.
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    When I am starting out is when I find motivation the hardest, which I've heard is unusual. After that, I use routine to help motivate me - even though it is very tempting after a long day at work and hideous commute to go home instead of to the gym. Also, once I get into my gym mode (for lack of a better way of putting it) the feeling I know I will have afterward motivates me.

I know some private practice dietitians (that have a lot more time with patients than I do) that always get them to think about the 'what, why,how' of weight loss. Ie what are you going to do - that's the easy bit but needs to be realistic. How you are going to do it is what they help you with. But Why you are going to do it is what should motivate you - for example for some people thinking something like 'I want to be healthy' is not nearly as motivating as thinking something like 'I want to still be well enough to have a part in my daughter's wedding'. For me, I don't think things like that make that much difference but everybody's motivation works a bit differently :)
  • Dizzle_65
    Dizzle_65 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I hope this doesn't come across as arroganr but I don't really need motivatying anymore. I have been on this now for nearly eight years, I have a picture of my fatself in my drawer at work just in case but being fit is just what I do.

For instance, tomorrow I'm off to Ireland for a wedding, I could get up at 8 and still have plenty of time to go to the gym. What I will do is get up at my normal time - 6 and go early. Some people think I'm odd but as I say to them, They're the odd ones for not wanting to go!

Occasionally due to work I'll have to miss the gym because of meetings / travel, if that happens it goes down as a rest day and I'll rearrange my schedule for that week. Don't get me wrong I'll have a poor nights sleep or just be washed out and give the gym a miss but it happens less than half a dozen times a year.

I guess what I'm saying is this journey is now a major part of who I am
  • Andylee63
    Andylee63 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    The things that motivate me are The Biggest Loser Australia, USA and UK..
    The thought of being back in my 32" jeans is a great motivator for me too..
    Because I have C.O.P.D... Being able to breath properly again..

Getting back to the same fitness level I was when I was in the Army.... :laugh:
    7min BFT's..
    A BFT is a Basic Fitness Test... Run out 1.5miles in 15mins, then back as fast as you can..
    There is a time limit for different ages..
    When I was 33yr old, I was beating 18yr olds...
  • AiryFairy76
    AiryFairy76 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I lost six stone three years ago - apart from the fact of just being sick and tired about the weight I was, I was mostly motivated by two things.

1. I am an ice dancer and my coach was beginning to talk about competition. Have you SEEN the size of the typical skating dress?! :bigsmile:
    2. Being Maid of Honour for my best friend - I asked her to buy my dress three sizes too small and she trusted me. How could I let her down?

I have kept the weight off for the most part, but it has gone up a little bit recently which I want gone by Christmas. Nothing major, just a trim if you like :smile: What is motivating me this time is remembering how good it felt to go from a size 20 to a size 8-10 - there is no way on EARTH that I want to end up where I was, so remembering that helps me deal with small weight-gains.
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    I'm a believer in the 'if..then' school of thought - rather than waiting for 'motivation' to strike, you set a routine so you know if it's Monday at 6pm you're in the gym or whatever. I really struggle when I'm out of routine though (holiday/illness etc). Having to take turns is irritating too as I'm not paying for a babysitter just so I can go for a run etc!

It is definitely easier the more it just becomes what you do, rather than something special - I guess if this is going to be lifestyle and forever it's got to be!