Random nutrition musing

Options
photo_kyla
photo_kyla Posts: 322 Member
I LOVE bacon. I love it when it is crispy and crunchy and all golden brown and delicious. My family always gets thick sliced, apple wood smoked bacon and in the cooking process a *lot* of fat cooks out. We're talking 1 slice probably produces 1/2 tbsp of bacon grease.
Our usual technique is to pour that grease off. We store some of it in the fridge to use in cooking other things but the rest of the time it goes onto the dogs dish. (There has been suggestions of the dog needing a diet as well.)
I wonder, does it change the nutrition if you cook it like this? I mean, the info says 1 slice pan fried is 55 cals and 5g fat, but is that cooked like mine or cooked to a flexible (soggy) state like other family members prefer? That fat has to go somewhere. Does it account for the bacon grease in the pan?

Replies

• conniehgtv
    conniehgtv Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I think crispy bacon renders more fat out (into the pan) then wiggly bacon so crisp must have less calories IMHO
  • patch11001
    Options
    I had mono back in college, could never figure out where it came from (it's the kissing disease, but I certainly wasnt kissing on anybody @ the time), it was like weeks of not feeling well, sleeping all the time, not eating, going to the doctor for blood tests weekly. . .finally mid-December 1994 rolls around and the first thing I want to eat in two months is a bacon and mayonaise on white sandwich. . .I love you bacon!!!
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I've often wondered the same thing.
  • Dundreggen
    Dundreggen Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I would think raw is what is listed. So while I can't help you figure out how much less calories and fat is in your crispy bacon, it will be less than what is on the package.
  • susiesweets
    Options
    I wonder if some of it is just wishful thinking that the way we cook the bacon decreases the calories. It still swims in grease. Why can't it be good... Damn those tasty crispy strips of ambrosia temping and teasing me to eat every last one of them! But, I digress. Personally I would count the calories the same and hope to lose extra weight if there are fewer calories, rather than eating more of it because it *might* have fewer calories because it's crispier and staying the same or gaining.
  • Grimmerdhore
    Grimmerdhore Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Personally, I save ALL my bacon grease to add flavor to my other lean meats like steaks, chops, etc. And I give the dog one egg per week mixed in with is standard dry dog food. It makes his coat so shiny. Regarding calories, I suspect the amount of calories lost in the frying is so minimal as to be insignificant. Unless you eat a whole pound or so. I don't know what MFP says about it, but I'm including what I located for you on another website. Hope this helps.

jf33oo6cw4mu.jpg