Emotional Eating and Getting Over Your Ex

Options
I find that when I get lonely I start to miss her, and sometimes that triggers me to eat. On a scale of one to ten, ten being over her and one being not at all over her, I'd say I'm at about a 7. I am dating someone else now and I am happy with her, but she was the first one I really fell hard for.

Maybe some of you have gone through the same thing, how did/do you deal?
It's so hard to not binge eat at times.

Replies

• tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    It took me a LONG time to get over my ex - at the time I didn't really have a healthy way of coping but NOW I find that exercise really is a huge mood booster. Go for a jog or some other exercise you find moderately (but not painfully strenuous). If you need motivation pick out whatever goodie you want to eat after you 'earn' it with exercise calories. I find running leaves me not-very hungry anyhow - and 30 minutes of jogging/walking gets me about 250-300 calories. You'll get the mood boost from exercise + a goodie AND you'll feel good about the treat because you earned it.
  • countlessnumbers
    Options
    Thanks, that's a good idea! I don't normally exercise often and I should start doing that anyway.
  • countlessnumbers
    Options
    Do you think it's a bad idea to still talk to them occasionally?
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options

Um I dunno. I *did* and in the end (years later) we ended up staying friends and having it not be TOO weird ..mostly... but it was weird for a LONG time. And during that time there was like, bouts of jealousy, and bouts of very bad idea making out (BAD! just once but still, bad idea) and it didnt' really get to be totally 100% ok until like VERY recently (and this is after having been broken up ....7 years?)

So on one hand yeah its a bad idea. And in the beginning it makes things harder -- although I did have like a full 6 month period of NO communication. Probably wasn't enough.

But on the other hand I'm glad nwo that I have that friend. I don't make friends that easily (not close ones) and I don't always stay in touch so I value the ones I have. But it was hard, and I do think it made it harder.
  • neenaj33
    neenaj33 Posts: 347 Member
    Options

Im currently going thru this. When she calls me, its very hard to act as if Im just her friend. Sometimes I'd rather she not call me and pretend like I dont exist. Weird I know.
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Okay, this is coming from someone with absolutely zero relationship experience, so feel free to tell me I'm way off base, but how healthy is your new relationship if you're still hung up on your past girlfriend and even still talk to her?

I'm not saying it's horrible to talk to her, but combined with obviously not being over her, if I were the new girl I'd be feeling really uncertain right about now.
  • xjeanie
    Options
    I'm a firm believer in that once you love someone, generally a piece of you will always love them. I'm completely over my ex but I still miss them. I would never be with them again, but a part of me still misses the good things we have.
  • Bonita_Lynne_58
    Bonita_Lynne_58 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    I'm a firm believer in that once you love someone, generally a piece of you will always love them. I'm completely over my ex but I still miss them. I would never be with them again, but a part of me still misses the good things we have.

I think this is the way I feel. Once I love someone that love never completely dies. That does not mean I would want to rekindle the relationship.
  • kaswain
    kaswain Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I feel you on all of this. I have been broken up with my ex for about four months now, but we dated 5 years. I am no where even close to being over her but struggle everyday with whether to talk to her or not. We go in phases where we wont talk for several weeks, then talk like crazy for a few days. It seems however that I am usually more okay with the breakup when we aren't talking and i will actually start to seem happier then when we talk we go through the bouts of jealousy, hurt feelings, missing each other, talking about there being an "us" in the future etc. which usually always ends badly hence the several weeks of not talking following it. I just recently decided that I can't have her in my life right now but in the furture would like to try to be friends. We both need to move past our feelings before trying to talk. I hope this helps. Right now I think you are in more of my ex's place than mine. She is dating someone new but still calls and texts me saying she misses and loves me. I am single and trying to work through my feelings without the complications of a new relationship!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    I think it is best to make a clean break, unless there is no way you are going to be able to avoid her.

I don't like it when I have a love interest that is still talking to old girlfriends on a regular basis, or is friends with an ex lover. As a matter of fact that is a deal breaker to me.

I find it much easier to get over someone with a clean break.
  • sunnykt
    Options
    I vote for a clean break.