Thanksgiving to New Years...

Options
Photoology
Photoology Posts: 121 Member
So a few friends and I had been discussing how we were going to take the holidays "off" and not run as much. Then we all got into the topic of how much food we are going to eat and that didn't sit well with me as I don't want to gain 10lbs. So I peeked around and a friend posted this article ---> http://trainingdaily.runnersworld.com/2011/11/17/announcing-the-inaugural-rw-holiday-running-streak/

Its about pledging to keep running (even if its just a mile) daily from Thanksgiving to New Years...

I think I am down for this... I will not let the holidays defeat me! Anyone else?

Replies

• KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    I will be running through the holidays. I actually am planning to be at the gym like normal. My goal is 4 days but if I make the usual 6 that's even better!
  • gavini
    gavini Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    i dont understand the mentality behind not working out over a certain period on purpose unless it is injury related.

if i dont get to do something active for more than a day or two i feel antsy and completely BLAH.

thats not the same as saying that during the holiday period due to travel and or family committments you wont be able to keep up your normal routine. in that case you are acknowledging that fact in advance and allowing yourself not to be stressed out about that, thats ok and understandable - but i still dont feel right physically if i have a couple of unavoidably sloth like days.

why would you not want to exercise for X amount of days or weeks?
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options

if i dont get to do something active for more than a day or two i feel antsy and completely BLAH.

This is me..I plan on running as long as I'm able throughout the holidays.
  • Photoology
    Photoology Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    i dont understand the mentality behind not working out over a certain period on purpose unless it is injury related.

thats not the same as saying that during the holiday period due to travel and or family committments you wont be able to keep up your normal routine. in that case you are acknowledging that fact in advance and allowing yourself not to be stressed out about that, thats ok and understandable - but i still dont feel right physically if i have a couple of unavoidably sloth like days.

why would you not want to exercise for X amount of days or weeks?

For me its not a I do not want to but rather I don't know how much time I will have between travelling and family and work. This is the busiest time of the year for me to kind of forget everything and do what I have to for everyone else. I tend to be out of my house from 6am to about midnight running around...its just how my holiday goes...
  • bjbixler
    bjbixler Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I am running a half marathon tomorrow, and will start marathon training the week of Christmas. I'm going to use the next few weeks to do a lot of cross and strength training and keep running distances of 7 or 8 miles at a time, so no, not really taking time off, just running a little less and redirecting my focus to other things.
  • RushinBruisette
    RushinBruisette Posts: 2,109 Member
    Options
    I'm still training through Jan 7th for my half, so I'm running 4 days a week which really helps keep me on track right now!

Anyway, Happy Thanksgiving All!! Don't stress over calorie counting today. Watch your portions, do the best you can, but more importantly, enjoy the time you get with your loved ones. You can always exercise off the extra calories, but some of our families are only in town for a few days, enjoy that time while can. :heart: