Most unusual pet

Options
Dory_42
Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
What is the most unusual pet you have had?

I had cats and dogs and budgies as a kid, budgies when I was in college and now finally have my own Labrador and a Siamese Kitten. I intend to get a Ball python in the next few months, but as I get to play with over 100 reptiles at work on a daily basis I am not in a rush! I work with a variety of reptiles from tortoises to lizards (my favourite is the Rock Monitor!) to harmless snakes to dangerous snakes (38kg python who is ALWAYS in a bad mood) to deadly snakes (puff adder, green mamba) to crocodiles! If that gets boring (Not likely) I can go down and help with the penguins, turtles, seals or fish!! I have been bitten more often by penguins than snakes and I spend a fraction of the time with them...

So I don't have very unusual pets, but do work with some unusual animals. I am just curious who has what when it comes to unusual pets... Who knows what I will get after the Ball Python!!

Replies

• missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    We have previously had stick insects, corn snakes, a boa constrictor and an axolotl. The axolotl (do a google image search if you're curious) was an amazingly bizarre beast. We called him Keith, he looked a bit like Keith Flint from the Prodigy.
  • FatassFairy
    FatassFairy Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    hmm on the less then normal side i have had.
    savanah moniter
    sulcata tortises
    scorpions
    taratula
    emus
    rheas

and i think thats all the weird stuff. (aside from boas and pythons , corn , and king snakes)

my ex had an alligator but i made him get rid of it before i would move in with him, i had a yorkie , no way was she going to be around that
  • Dory_42
    Options
    Oooo, my friend had an axolotl. They are AWESOME. I think an alligator is an amazing animal but I would not want one as a pet...
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    I want a corn snake!! They are so cute!! lol
  • Dory_42
    Options
    Corn Snakes are cool, but I would personally prefer a Brown House Snake if I was getting that type of snake. The reason for it is that I live in South Africa and I prefer the indigenous animals. The two have similar care requirements, but the corn is more colourful. However, I still think the Browns have the cutest faces ever...
  • Dory_42
    Options
    I work at a Snake Park that is part of a bigger complex including us, an Oceanarium/Aquarium, museum, historical house and robotic dinosaur park. It is in Port Elizabeth, South Africa and we not hiring right now. There is always something interesting happening in some area of the complex...

Pigs are interesting but I would love a hedgehog!!
  • kimclaws
    kimclaws Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I have a Tanzanian Tailless whip scorpion named Henry. he is a cool little guy. freaky looking though. Looks Like a little alien.
  • Wuggums
    Wuggums Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I grew up with all manner of pets - most of the "normal" variety. Dogs, cats, freshwater and saltwater fish, guinea pigs, ferrets, a variety of salamanders/newts/lizards. Probably the most unusual pet we ever had was a spider monkey named Jiminy. My parents got him shortly after they were married - as a kid my mom always wanted a monkey and her parents wouldn't let her have one. They told her "when you're an adult and living on your own, you can have whatever you want". So as soon as she was "an adult living on her own", she got a monkey! What a fun pet - he used to know how to escape from the cage he slept in at night by putting his arm through the bars and unlocking it from the outside!
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I grew up in a home full of pets, dogs, cats, rabbits, chinchillas, hampsters, guinea pigs, fish. I think the craziest one is a pot bellied pig. He has his own bed room and everything.