You know you are truly sick when...

Options
broadsword7
broadsword7 Posts: 411 Member
...You actually love the scent of chain lube.

There is something about ProLink chain lube in particular that just makes me want to get on the bike and ride. I LOVE the stuff! If they made a cologne with that same smell, I would buy it. Seriously. I know, I know. I am a sick, sick, sick puppy. If you haven't tried it check it out, the link to their web page is below, but fortunately, my LBS stocks it. I don't go through it as fast as I go through Smucker's All Natural Creamy Peanut Butter, but it's just as addictive to me.

http://www.progoldmfr.com/?p=products&c=prolinkchainlube

What is your bicycle sickness?

Replies

• CDGolden
    CDGolden Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Phil Wood grease...yum....

followed by Simple Green
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    You're truly sick when you're secretly happy that the chainring marks on your inner calf did not fully wash off in the shower!
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Not sick, but a horrible father. Told my daughter to go and sort the garage out as she had left it on a mess. A few minutes later she ran back to the house in near tears after finding her new touring bike.
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    You're truly sick when you're secretly happy that the chainring marks on your inner calf did not fully wash off in the shower!

I thought that was just me. I don't know what it takes to get those suckers off anyway! I spend most of the summer with ring prints on my leg.
  • broadsword7
    Options
    [...I don't know what it takes to get those suckers off anyway! I spend most of the summer with ring prints on my leg.

Heya Janet. If you want to get the chainring marks off, try mineral oil or baby oil. I keep a bottle right under the sink, exclusively just for that purpose. Dab some oil on paper towels or a washcloth and rub. Poof. Comes right off. That is, if you really WANT to remove em!
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    [...I don't know what it takes to get those suckers off anyway! I spend most of the summer with ring prints on my leg.

Heya Janet. If you want to get the chainring marks off, try mineral oil or baby oil. I keep a bottle right under the sink, exclusively just for that purpose. Dab some oil on paper towels or a washcloth and rub. Poof. Comes right off. That is, if you really WANT to remove em!

Cool! Thank you. I'm also a ballroom dancer and those grease marks look really tacky when I'm out dancing!
  • StuAblett
    StuAblett Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    Not sick, but a horrible father. Told my daughter to go and sort the garage out as she had left it on a mess. A few minutes later she ran back to the house in near tears after finding her new touring bike.

Wow what a great story!

I do hope you still made her clean up the garage :laugh:
  • StuAblett
    Options
    I like to tinker on my bikes..... :bigsmile:
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options

Wow what a great story!

I do hope you still made her clean up the garage :laugh:

Ha-ha, didn't really need it. We took it out for a spin and was surprised to be sitting on her back wheel as she hit 20 mph. OK a good tailwind, but not bad for a 12 yo riding her first dropped bars bike.
  • BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    Options
    Thanks for reminding me that I am a horrible person who doesn't perform as much maintenance as my bike deserves :smile:
  • beyg
    beyg Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    lol, that's funny
  • thcri
    thcri Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    And I thought I was the only crazy one around here. I love that smell and I also love the smell of the country side especially when pedaling by a hog or dairy farm. Well I grew up on a farm and miss it a lot so pedaling out in the country is special to me. But I do hate the smell of intertube errrrrr
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    So funny, I use Prolink but I don't really remember liking the smell.

Chain link marks on your leg are considered "girly tatts", and not approved on my club rides, means you are doing something wrong. BTW I get them all the time, you need to put soap on with a cloth, before getting in the shower and then giving the leg a good scrub.

I also have songs playing in my head as I ride, often totally inappropriate so I can't sing them out loud.

I used to think you were truly sick if you had bikes that lived indoors, however now I have 4 bikes that live inside.

GG
  • Ant_M76
    Ant_M76 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I used to think you were truly sick if you had bikes that lived indoors, however now I have 4 bikes that live inside.

You mean to say that there are actually people who keep their bikes outside?! Daaaamn.... that's just cruel
  • broadsword7
    Options

You mean to say that there are actually people who keep their bikes outside?! Daaaamn.... that's just cruel

In the sword household, two bikes are in living room now. Three more are in the garage, and they make me feel sorry for them that they are not usually kept inside with the other two. Hmmm. Yep, bicycle anthropomorphism, and being addicted to the smell of ProLink, are perhaps two of the many reasons I currently live alone. Well, not totally alone, my friend who is a cat lets me share the place with her. :smokin:
  • StuAblett
    Options

I do, but I have an excuse, I live in Tokyo on the 7th floor and lugging them up and down in the elevator would not be cool, at least they are undercover and locked up well!
  • thcri
    thcri Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    My mountain bike is in the garage. My road bike is either in my bedroom or in my office. There is times when locked in the back of my pickup.

My wife is ok with it being in the bedroom but she does not allow me to talk to it.
  • Ant_M76
    Ant_M76 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Day-to-day road bike is kept in the hall, close to the door
    MTB is kept in the hallway too, tucked down the side of the stairs (heavy to bring upstairs and dirty)
    Steel frame hack road bike is in the kitchen
    Nice road bike is in the living room
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    Well, my built up bikes live in the garage - not exactly a typical garage however - it's weathertight, light-tight (so I can use it as my photographic darkrooom), heated, and with a sealed floor. Its also got one wall that I spent a couple of hours skimming with finishing plaster last week. Once this drys thoroughly, I'll be priming this and giving it a coat of Projector Screen Paint, ready for the digital projector driven by my old laptop and the Tacx Trainer.

It's got it's share of workbenches, tools and all the things that make it a garage/workshop - but it's also going to double as the Alpe D'Huez, The Paris-Roubaix, and a Spanish Training camp with the Rabobank team :laugh:
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    BigYin that is so cute, training with the Rabobank team. I have a little story about those fellows, wanna hear it? Well, I'm going to tell it anyway. When there were a bunch of Dutch guys out riding here in Victoria (Aus) a few years ago doing the Herald Sun Tour, on the last stage, a lot of teams sell stuff off (they obviously get a lot of free gear, and then can make a few dollars flogging it to the fans, i.e. me). I went up to them to ask if they had any Rabobank gear to sell (because I have Dutch heritage and my son's favourite colour is orange). Well this very cute guy said no, but he did have the full kit that he had worn at the Olympics, was I interested in buying that? Guess what the answer was? Has the Dutch flag and Olympic rings on it and all.

Swordy, I'm sure that's not why you live alone ... I am also a crazy cat lady with too many bikes ... oh I'm single too, maybe you have something there ;-}

GG