Mountain Bike Maiden Voyage

Options
broadsword7
broadsword7 Posts: 411 Member
I have managed to live all my 55 years (that's 385 dog years) without going mountain biking. I love the outdoors, and I love road cycling, so duh--it's about time. Today will be my first time taking my recently acquired Talon out on a trail. It's mostly gravel logging road, but it's a start. I am feeling kinda nervous, good way nervous. I feel that kind of stupid exhilaration I felt like when I deliberately took my road bike out to roll straight into an oncoming later afternoon thunderstorm earlier this year. Anyway, here is a pic I took this morning of the Talon, pre-ride, in it's brand new-ness state. Mornin sun shinin down in all its orangey glory. I tend to tear things up. I am very hard on equipment. Just ask my local bike shop guy! So the bike will not likely stay this way for long. Keep the rubber side down everybody!

Talon-M.png

Replies

• johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Hey sword! I'm at the halfway point of my own mtb ride today. I just stopped to strip off the armwarmers and such. Enjoy your ride! I'm enjoying mine.
  • kimeister
    Options
    If your mb has hydraulic breaks as did my first (can't tell from the pic), that rubber-side-down salute will be very appropo. I took two headers. LOL! Have a great ride! Looking forward to hearing about it when you get back.
  • broadsword7
    broadsword7 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I am happy to say I got the bike (and me) coated with mud, leaves and all manner of dirt. I am even happier to say I did not break any bones, in fact, didn't fall at all (but wow, ALMOST did a whole lot of times). I did manage to bend the rear derailleur when I got a branch stuck in the chain and spokes, and getting back to the car from that point on was a bit tricky as the bike would not stay in any gear very long, but I made it! And it was WONDERFUL. The only shock I had was at the end, looking at average moving speed. So much different from road biking, but then again, a LOT of it is different. I can tell it will be a challenge for me to decide what I will ride come the spring and summer. I definitely want to mix it up.

What I didn't do this first time out:

* Log hopping. Gonna wait until I develop a feel for the bike.
    * Fast descents. Gonna wait until I know trails/routes and develop a feel for the bike before I let it out.

What I did do this first time out:

* Stopped and de-biked, completely laid the bike down, whenever we came upon horse and rider (three of them on this ride).
    * Tried to let momentum be my friend, but was a little tentative at times.
    * Rode through three small streams without dismounting (but slowly).
    * Wore way too much clothing for the weather (60 degrees).
    * Had a freakin blast.

Deam-Lake-11-25-11-2-L.png
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Priceless!!!
  • TDSeest
    TDSeest Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a fun day.