Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Week #3!

drjennelle
drjennelle Posts: 138 Member
another week down, and one of our biggest challenges to overcome! how did everyone do?? let's start by first talking about how we did with our biggest temptations and what we are most disappointed/ frustrated with and END by saying what we are most PROUD of for doing on thanksgiving (or really any time this week)!

temptation: well, i had NO alcohol yesterday (no one else was drinking so this was easy!) :) i had the 1/2 cup of mashed potatoes as i said i would, one roll, and one small bite of stuffing (about 1/8 of a cup). i had two small 1/4 slices of pie (just little bites really) and then i called it a day! i had LOTS of green beans which really helped! i also got a great workout in before we left for the day and that put me in the right frame of mind! i did just what i wanted to and have absolutely NO regrets on the day! :)

biggest frustration/ disappointment: in all honestly i really don't have any! i did eat more than i should have once i realized that i was not going out for the night to have drinks with friends. i had saved calories for drinks and when i realized i could use them - i went a little crazy ;) the last thing i ate was some low fat cool whip and fiber cereal (best choice really) but it was so obvious that i'd eaten more than i needed to because even though i woke up at 7:00 today, i didn't get hungry until 12:00! it's a great learning experience really! :)

what im most proud of: i did NOT make thanksgiving only about food! i woke up, relaxed for a bit with the boy while watching some of the thanksgiving day parades, then worked out, made the green beans i brought to dinner, and was on my merry way :) it was a nice day, john's family is way more low key than mine - which can be good (since my family often has lots and lots of high stress drama), but it can also feel rather uneventful at times. we got some quality time together at the end of the day though which was really nice! and then we planned for our black friday excursion today (we got the sweetest tv!!! and i got 3 pairs of boots for $150 and a $10 pair of jeans from Old Navy! woot woot!) :)

all in all, im really proud of myself this past week. i weighed myself yesterday morning and i was at 130.8 (the lowest number ive seen on the scale in a LONG time), and this was after eating out friday night, going to a food party on sunday, eating out monday night, eating out lunch on tuesday, and eating out again on wednesday night... so the fact that i was still able to stay on track really makes me realize that i CAN do this, and that i AM doing it! the fact that this morning i was at 131.2 (still 2 lbs down from last week and only .4 lbs up from yesterday) gave me a lot of confidence as well! in the past i no doubt would have gained at least 3 lbs from the holiday alone! i can really see the difference in my nutritional choices! it's just that ive been eating less, but i am eating SO much better and i am enjoying the food and feeling amazing as a result! woot woot!

ok enough about me - now i want to hear all of YOU start bragging! ready...set...GO!

Replies

• Hey all! I hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving with family and/or friends. Mine was spent with family AND friends and I had a really nice low key day! Didn't get any exercise in other than walking down the street with my dog to see the Manchester Road Race but I'm OK with that. Didn't follow my Thanksgiving Day plans exactly as I had originally hoped. I did great on portion control...1/2c here 1/4c there, only 1 roll, no alcohol (which is easy for me since I don't drink)....so overall it was a lot more successful than past Thanksgivings but I still went over calories so I didn't bother logging everything and I didn't give myself points for logging or calories. Only got one day of water in and didn't do well on vitamins...but I've had a VERY stressful week with having a LOT of issues with school and the Nursing program so I chalk it up to that. Haven't been feel really well the last couple of days..lots of headaches but I was happy that I didn't gain this week. Even if I had, I was prepared to get back in the swing of things either way.
    I'm most proud of not giving up and sticking with the program - this time last year I would have pigged out then given up...but not this time! Once the semester is over I plan to really step into high gear on the workouts AT the gym as well.

Overall, it wasn't my best week...but I'm not letting it keep me down!
  • gdb86
    gdb86 Posts: 126 Member
    Sounds like great accomplishments so far from BOTH of you ladies! Happy to hear it!

For some positive feedback on this Holiday week, I really did stick to my plan and I enjoyed myself at the same time. Any places where I needed to fit in exercise/store extra calories I did. Thanksgiving I ate a normal breakfast, had a light snack and worked out pretty hard so I would have plenty of space to eat and not think! I also didn't over do it (which I was really impressed with myself on, because usually I do - or at least make an excuse for it being a holiday to over indulge) I did take teensy-weensy scoops of all of the good stuff so I could taste little pieces of Thanksgiving food. Little bits of mashed potatoes (which were actually really healthy because my health conscious/vegan cousin made them!), sweet potato, green beans, stuffing, turkey, corn casserole, and turkey! If you looked at my plate it was like little bit sized versions of all of the foods Haha. And I saved room for pie! Again, just little bits, but still totally satisfying.

All in all it was a great day food wise. Stress wise, that's another story. Haha. That's where the "negative" part of my week would be. Just lots and lots of stress. It's always a coin toss as to if it's going to be wonderful or a ball of dramatic stress when I come back home and unfortunately it was the later this time around. It was/has been a great test on my ability to be tolerant, mindful, and remain healthy during a hard time. So, I'm trying to keep looking at it as a testament to what obstacles I can overcome and just be stronger in the future. I mean hey, you can either be super negative or realistically positive and I'm trying to make a spin for the better! Anywho....

All in all - it was a great week! I'm so happy to have the accountability and support for MFP - it has been fantastic and I love being able to reciprocate the support just as much! I'm excited for more weeks to come, because I'm getting back down to my lowest weight in a long time (I was there a few months ago, but slipped back up a bit) Keep it up Bootcampers! We're all doing so well! As always - happy losing! :)
  • nelsons417
    nelsons417 Posts: 10 Member
    Hey everyone!!

I was actually really happy with how this week went, even though I could have done better on some parts. So I still have the issues of enough water and I've been slacking off on taking my vitamins! I have the bottle of vitamins at my desk, but never remember to take them when I eat since I'm usually eating at work or out, and I just haven't been getting to that 8 glasses a day of water. I get close usually at like 6 or 7, so I'm at least happy I'm getting close.

In terms of Thanksgiving, I ran the Manchester Road Race with my husband, my brother and sister in law. I ran the race with my sis, while the boys went off ahead. I walked about a minute split between two times, and finished faster than I expected (though it wasn't very fast overall). I was just really happy about getting out there and not stopping during the last mile even though I was hurting. Really, I was happiest about how much I could eat the rest of the day since I had two dinners to go to! I'm lucky and my mother in law makes super healthy dishes like seasoned cabbage (better than it sounds) mashed turnips and light mashed potatoes. Also, I had a vegan pumpkin pie (delish!!). At my parent's dinner, my health-conscious sister in law cooked and made lighter meals, and since I was full of food from earlier I didn't eat as much. I managed to not go over the calories, and it was really because of all of the running. You can believe I will be running every year at this race!!

I was really happy to have this tool to use throughout the day, and think I may have recruited some family to join MFP because it was so easy to use and helped in controlling how much I ate. It's really making my accountable, especially with everyone in Holiday Boot Camp watching, so I'm feeling better about really working hard. And my reward?....down 2.6 lbs!!
  • drjennelle
    yay!! it's AMAZING that we have weight LOSS the week of THANKSGIVING!! be proud of that and use your momentum to make week #3 even MORE amazing!!! :)
  • yay!! it's AMAZING that we have weight LOSS the week of THANKSGIVING!! be proud of that and use your momentum to make week #3 even MORE amazing!!! :)

If we can do this during Thanksgiving week - one of the toughest weeks all year - think how wonderful we will all do the other weeks of the year! YAY!
  • I am just starting up with this group. I didnt do too well last week but i am completley motivated today. I prepacked everything for work even have my water bottle on my desk.

I weighed in today just to see where i am starting at which is 160.5 =( i have gained 5 pounds. I have to get this under control. My goal is to be under 130.
  • drjennelle
    I am just starting up with this group. I didnt do too well last week but i am completley motivated today. I prepacked everything for work even have my water bottle on my desk.

I weighed in today just to see where i am starting at which is 160.5 =( i have gained 5 pounds. I have to get this under control. My goal is to be under 130.

welcome! what is your name? :) (screen names make it difficult!) we are so happy to have you! this group is super motivating, and we are all doing FANTASTIC since the beginning of this challenge! we are just starting week #3 so we have this week plus another 5, which will take us all the way through the new year - the extra accountability through the holidays is really really really helpful! we are going to be the only 10 people to LOSE WEIGHT through the holidays! :)
  • My name is Heather =) . Do we post challenges or anything? Also i can i work the spreedsheet i have messed with it a bit but a little confused still. =) I have to stay motivated this time. +)
  • Definitely a challenging week, and glad its over. Love Thanksgiving, but it was a curveball I didn't need in terms of staying focused and in a routine with eating well and working out.
    I decided to cut out alcohol from my diet,....no downside to it, and until the holidays approach,....I have realized some of the extra calories I earn only cover having some drinks !!>?
    I have two parties planned in December that I will allow myself to drink at,....if I have followed my program till that point. I think with water weight it will really help.

Looks like everyone did well, and kept things under control for the most part !!! Great Work Ladies !!
  • MermaidFaith
    MermaidFaith Posts: 495 Member
    i am still loving this group. i too allowed thanksgiving to influence the scale, but thats okay because i have been good every other day. As for the alchohol, i have been having a half cup of wine most nights and its so crazy how much of a buzz i get off of 4 oz! before it seemed like i could drink half a bottle and not even feel it. if i drink over a half cup though it could turn bad... i usually start craving foods bigtime once i start feeling the wine, and do i really need to eat two bowls of cereal at 1am? so i just stick to a small glass and its good enough.
    My birthday is this week and i am feeling really glad that i started my weight loss. the fact that i am almost 20 pounds lighter will make turning 30 almost bearable!
    This group has helped me stay focused on the basics of healthy living and i really appreciate it.
  • drjennelle
    My birthday is this week and i am feeling really glad that i started my weight loss. the fact that i am almost 20 pounds lighter will make turning 30 almost bearable!
    This group has helped me stay focused on the basics of healthy living and i really appreciate it.

yay! that's a huge accomplishment!!! and definitely something to celebrate!!! you are adding years on to your life by losing the weight, and that is a priceless gift to yourself! happy birthday and ENJOY EVERY MINUTE :)
  • drjennelle
    My name is Heather =) . Do we post challenges or anything? Also i can i work the spreedsheet i have messed with it a bit but a little confused still. =) I have to stay motivated this time. +)

hi heather - we fill out the spreadsheet each week and post our total points in each category in addition to our complete total points, weight loss, and % weight loss. this week i did not suggest a mini challenge, but we often have small goals/ challenges to stay motivated and keep focus (e.g., get all your water points for the week, get 15 more points than last week, workout 10 more minutes a day, etc). let me know if you have any other questions - feel free to message me your questions about the spreadsheet!

let's keep shakin it ladies!! :)
  • drjennelle
    ooo emily that drink sounds DELISH! good choice! glad i could help! :) so happy to hear about yoga too! i have yet to take a yoga class, but i would LOVE to! i do this workout called "piyo" which is a mind-body workout inspired by pilates and yoga but it involves a lot more too! i've only taken one class... because it's not offered around me... and that one class was to get certified to teach it! haha :) i do the workout at home all the time, and im excited that my turbo kick instructor is going to start teaching piyo december 15th at our gym! yay for new workouts! :)