Kenko shindan (health check)

Options
yasemasuyo
yasemasuyo Posts: 177 Member
Morning all!

Yesterday was the day I thought I had to go for my kenko shindan (annual health check - this is not as indepth as the full ningen doc). The previous three times this rolled around, I was so worried about what the doctor would say to me about my weight (not to mention the lack of privacy) that I simply didn't go. This year, though, I thought I would bite the bullet and get checked out. As Friday approached, I got more and more nervous and started to feel sick to my stomach but, at the last minute, my husband realised that I have until March to take the health check, and that the Friday session was just one of those bus-type surgeries! So I now have a few more months to lose these extra kilos, then I needn't feel so ashamed when I get told off by the doctor.

I know that I am no longer terribly overweight, but even so I still feel sooo flabby. I don't want my results to be known by people I see on a semi-regular basis, I can just imagine them whispering and giggling about the fat foreigner. Perhaps I am over imagining the senario, but the fear of that humiliation is quite overwhelming...

Have any of you ever taken the kenko shindan? What was your experience? Were the staff professionally discreet?

Replies

• natika33
    natika33 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I haven't done a full kenko shindan, but I go to get birth control pills every six months and my doctor has been very discreet. The first time I went, I was in the normal BMI range, but right on the verge of being fat. Without my even saying anything, he saw the scale and turned to me and said not to worry about my weight. I thought that was kinda funny, since here everyone is so skinny that it must have been a higher number than he was used to seeing. Even weirder, is that one year before, in Canada, my doctor had told me to lose weight!

My boyfriend (Japanese) thinks it's unlikely your results will be shared and even more unlikely that your weight would be shared even if other things were (if you have a serious condition that the doctor thinks might affect your ability to work in the future, there's a small possibility that will be shared with your boss, which may or may not trickle down).

Anyway, you have a few more months to both lose the weight and lose the anxiety. Good luck!
  • yasemasuyo
    yasemasuyo Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    That's reassuring - thank you! I had a bad experience years ago - I went to see a doctor about abdominal pain during my lunch break from work, and as soon as I returned to the office I had a call from personnel asking if I was OK. One of the nurses at the hospital was married to someone in the personnel department, and she'd blabbed to him! Oh, the joy of living in do inaka... But perhaps things have changed since then and staff are taught to respect patient confidentiality?! Anyway, I am going to do my best to get to a healthier weight before presenting myself for public scrutiny! :blushing:
  • natika33
    natika33 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Oh, I'm sorry to hear you had such a bad experience! I hope this next one is different!
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I had them yearly as a JET, and my scores just went down year by year :(

I got allow score one year because they reckoned I had lost weight too fast, so the judgement isn't necessary as simple as whether your bmi is correct.