thoughts

Options
Tmbrooks75
Tmbrooks75 Posts: 182 Member
Now that I am getting into this field, I am finding that what I thought were pretty decent pics are really not. I found a website that people can critique your work. I find the information very useful and helpful, but at the same time, it means all the pics I've taken have been not nearly as good as they could be. I wish I had a better camera to take the shot that, in my head I know I wanna take, but its not as good a camera to take. Yes, shot composition means everything but if I get that right and the shot still stinks, then what I am I left with, a crappy shot. hmmmmm, just airing my mind here.

Replies

• Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,332 Member
    Options
    I definitely think it's all about how you use the camera you have, rather than thinking you need better equipment to get better shots. I didn't have a DSLR until this past year and didn't have the funds to process a ton of film every time I wanted to take some shots so I just used my point and shoot. I've gotten just as many compliments on those shots as I have on the ones I've taken using my DSLR. The only real difference is I have more manual controls on my DSLR and the ability to put big lenses and filters on if I want, but I have taken just as many crappy shots with it as I did with my point and shoot previously. :laugh:
  • Tmbrooks75
    Options
    The types of shots I want to take dont seem to come out very well on my P&S. I am hoping that once I get a DSLR, I will be able to figure out how to configure it to do what I want. Thats the hope anyways. :)
  • kbonamour
    kbonamour Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Do you use any editing programs at all? I am a Photoshop junkie all the way!!! Even having a really nice camera and lenses, I still sometimes can't get the exact shot I want. Usually I can do a little creative cropping and editing and come up with exactly what I was aiming for.
  • Tmbrooks75
    Options
    I have access to Photoshop Elements but no idea how it works other than a few basic things. Haven't had time to really get deep into how it works yet.
  • kbonamour
    kbonamour Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have 5 or 6 different Photoshop programs, but probably use Elements the most. I learned a lot from just playing around with it, and also from looking up tutorials on Youtube.
  • brianward81
    brianward81 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I use Lightroom the most. It's a photographers version of Photoshop, sort of. I still use Photoshop when there is a lot of editing to do but Lightroom covers your exposure/colours/cropping/minor touch-ups/vignetting/sharpening/etc... everything. I love it to bits. I really recommend you download a trial version and see how easy it is. And because its by Adobe it ties into Photoshop and everything else really well.

I loved my point and shoot and really learned the basics with it. But with the SLR you have so much control that it can at times be overwhelming. I almost always shoot in Manual mode now which keeps me on my toes when I'm out and about or when shooting live music when the lighting is changing constantly. If you are only just getting into photography you should stick with the P&S for a little longer and work out how to get the best from it before jumping to the SLR. The learning curve, for me, was quite involved and consumed me for many months. It was addicting. Now I'm a bit more confident with it but still love learning how others get the shots they do with the equipment they have.

By the way Kbonamour, I got your FB request but I've only really got close friends'n'family on there so thats why I declined it. I'll get around to setting up my business FB page one of these days.