"Getting there" Dress photos!

Options
JDRBT
JDRBT Posts: 264 Member
So, when I ordered my dress, I tried on a size 16. Even when I've BEEN at my idea weight, I've been a curve girl. So I felt confident in buying my dress in April for a Fall wedding this year.

Well - we ended up eloping so we could be married before he deployed. That's right, he's a military man (a submariner), so we eloped just the 2 of us. While it was nice, we still are throwing a wedding for our wonderful family and friends who have been so supportive. Besides, we waited 13 years to be together, so we earned this thing! lol
Anyway - at my dress fitting, it didn't quite fit. Knowing that I was in a weight loss journey, I opted to order the size that didn't fit, confident I would get into it since I was only a few inches away.
This weekend, I FINALLY got to try on my dress! One of my goals was to get that nice "v" shaped with the lacing in the back, without looking like someone stuffed a sausage into a really nice dress - so here are the progression shots -
March 2011 - when I picked out the dress:
Theback.jpg
Notice the dress doesn't quite zip, and there is no way that modesty panel is snapping into place. This is THE SAME SIZE I ordered.

October 2011 - when I picked out the bridesmaid dresses, I went in and tried on a size 14 of my dress just to get an idea of my progress. (this is with a corest undergarmet - notice you can't quite do the modesty panel or the waist zipper.)
IMG_2657.jpg

November 2011 - My actual dress! (Of note, I was NOT wearing a bra under this. I plan on wearing a comfy corset to help "the boys" stay up and supported and smooth out the look.)
Jaimesdress004.jpg
Jaimesdress008.jpg
So I've set some new goals.
#1 continue on weight loss and focus on legs on hips. (Not hard to do since I have a 5k in a week!)
#2 toning for the upper body (Yoga anyone?)

but it's SO GREAT to know I fit into it! And I'll sure I'll still fit into it in 10 lbs or so. The first place I lose from is my waist, then my hips, then my thighs and arms. :)

Replies

• puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Congrats! You look fabulous! Your dress is beautiful too. When do you plan on doing your last fitting? I guess I don't have to do my first fitting until June/July. I haven't started looking yet but the lady at the dress store said brides usually find their dress 6 months in advance. Well, keep up the good work!

BTW why do you call your boobs the boys? lol I have always called mine the girls :)
  • babyworms
    babyworms Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    way to go! It feels so awesome to fit into your dress! I ordered the size that fit me at the time of trying on in February, and i've had to get it taken in 20cm so that it does up and has a nice cris-cross at the back. Awesome feeling.

GO YOU!
  • kiltbunny
    kiltbunny Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Wow you look amazing! I'm so jealous! I have yet to go dress shopping since I'm wanting to lose so much weight.
  • Naomi113
    Naomi113 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    wow thanks for sharing those amazing photos you look stunning!!!!

Im not getting my dress until 2mths before hand :) and ill be getting it in my size lol all the weight i have lost LOL.. Im getting mine of line and they order it to fit you and custom make it.

CAn i also make a suggestion please :) a great way to tone is WEIGHTS!!!! im toning and losing weight by doing weights !! its great toning my arms boobs, legs back every where lol... even if you use bands they are bloody great too them stretchy bands :) just a thought for you you can even use bottles of water etc or cans of bake beans LOL...
  • JDRBT
    Options
    BTW why do you call your boobs the boys? lol I have always called mine the girls :)
    They are unruly, usually in the way, and seem to like to compete with each other. Reminded me more of 'boys' than 'girls'. One is slightly larger than the other, so specifically 'the boys' are 'Overachiever' and 'Underachiever'. ;)
  • JDRBT
    Options
    CAn i also make a suggestion please :) a great way to tone is WEIGHTS!!!! im toning and losing weight by doing weights !! its great toning my arms boobs, legs back every where lol... even if you use bands they are bloody great too them stretchy bands :) just a thought for you you can even use bottles of water etc or cans of bake beans LOL...

Thanks for the suggestion! Dressed can take up to 10 weeks to come in - and allow for any alterations. Just food for thought! I'd aim for about 3 months out at least, just to be sure you're all set in time. :)
  • Naomi113
    Naomi113 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    no my my order takes 25 to 30 day tehehehe they have already let me know :) and they have got extra chart t that if you need it done even quicker to let them know :) and they will do it :))))
  • Abusser
    Abusser Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Well I am not going to post a pic yet b/c there is such a HUGE gap. I was by myself and didn't even realize how far apart the back was b/c the sales person clipped fabric when I tried it on. I knew it was too small but when I took it my my seamstress grandmother she said I have a gap of 10 plus inches and it is probably a size 8. I'm a size 16 or 18 now up top. It fit over my hips but my waist up is the big problem.

I bought the dress b/c it was beautiful and knew my grandmother could fix it BUT did not realize it was soooo small. I am ordering fabric and she is going to have to totally rebuild the top. My grandmother is giving me until the end of March to lose as much weight as I can... I don't think I will be able to get down to a size 8. I was thinking of changing the back to a corset lace up but she thinks that will make me look bigger then the current style.... maybe I will post a pic once I figure out how to do it.

Good job meeting your goals!!!! I really hope I can say that by May! You look beautiful!

Amanda
  • ChrystenMB
    Options
    I ordered my dress a size smaller. I cried all day trying to decide what to do, but I knew I could lose just one size by my wedding date. I'm down almost 10 lbs from when I ordered it, so I figure I still have about 10 more to go so the dress is comfortable. It is supposed to come in this month, just hope I somewhat fit into it at my first fitting. Fingers crossed. No pictures yet....
  • BRISAjustAltered
    BRISAjustAltered Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    You look beautiful. Now I wish I would have done the same thing. I ordered the size that fit 18, but I was assured that I can have it taken in up to 4 sizes. I felt challenged by this and have decided to meet that 4 sizes down challenge. You really do look so beautiful.
  • GrainneOB
    Options
    You look lovely!! It's very exciting at least I'm very excited for you. You will look amazing on the day.
    I'm getting my dress made I have my second fitting on Thursday so I'm really looking forward to seeing if it looks like the dress I wanted made. Keep your fingers crossed for me girls.
  • Jillian1104
    Jillian1104 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    First and foremost, you look great!!

Second, I love your dress. In fact, I love it so much... that it's the same one I ordered (except mine is a red trim instead of the green).