Protein Powder

Options
calderst
calderst Posts: 222 Member
Have any of you had any luck with protein powders? Sometimes I'll use my husband's EAS Whey but I get all crampy and bloated. I usually don't have a blow-out but I can tell my system isn't entirely pleased. I would love to find one I can tolerate for right after I lift.... at least once a week I go straight from the weight room to a dance rehearsal and have trouble finding good ways to refuel.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    You might be sensitive to the whey in the powder, which is a dairy product. Have you considered a soy based protein?

For IBS sufferers, I think probably the perfect food is edamame. It's basically a little pill full of fiber and protein.
  • Cr0wned_Dynam0
    Options
    Check the artificial sugars, to keep calories down and make it taste good a lot of powders use things like malitol and xylitol. I find I am asking for a night of distention, bloating and severe cramping if I have too much of those artificial sugars. I like Bob's Red Mill Whey Conentrate, but you have to flavor it yourself with fruit, which requires blending. I sometimes use Designer Whey, they use sucralose to sweeten it, but I try to limit it, however I can handle it a lot better.

Also in dairy the prominent protein is casein not whey.
  • calderst
    Options
    That's just the problem... I don't know exactly what it is in the EAS that's messing me up. It could be the whey or the sweeteners... or some random ingredient.

I can digest cottage cheese with no problem, which is packed with casein. I can't drink milk very successfully, although I pretend I can and drink chocolate milk every now and again until I get sick and then I remember why I don't drink it for awhile until I "forget" (it's a vicious cycle that I also like to use with milkshakes....).

I try to avoid artifical sweeteners as much as I can-- easier said than done-- so maybe it's that.

And I've had the same reaction (bloating, cramping, nausea) from Soy milk so I'm hesitant to go the soy route. I know I can't eat hummus bc of the sesame (my biggest trigger) and I've had little experience with soy other than the milk.

I guess that doesn't really solve anything.Thanks for the feedback though!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Grab a protein powder without sweeteners in it... easy test.
  • Cr0wned_Dynam0
    Options
    BRM is just whey concentrate and soy lecithin, so it will mix. It's not a huge package, so if it is the whey you would know right away. I can handle cottage cheese as well, I know what you mean about the chocolate milk.

My point was you can't assume sensitivity to whey and sensitivity to dairy are the same thing.

Also if you think it might be the milk that you are mixing with your protein powder that is causing it, I have had great success with Almond milk. They have unsweetened varieties and chocolate as well too! :) Maybe give that a shot with the EAS stuff and see if that makes a difference before wasting money on different protein powders!
  • calderst
    Options
    Also if you think it might be the milk that you are mixing with your protein powder that is causing it, I have had great success with Almond milk. They have unsweetened varieties and chocolate as well too! :) Maybe give that a shot with the EAS stuff and see if that makes a difference before wasting money on different protein powders!

I just mix it with water... just the thought of mixing it with milk makes my tummy hurt.

Thanks for the feedback! I will be on the lookout for some other powders to try.
  • meghan0387
    meghan0387 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I typically stay away from whey protein powders. I find that brown rice protein powders work best for me. I use Nutribiotic Brown Rice protein powder in Vanilla. It only contains 2 ingredients: certified organic whole-grain brown rice and organic vanilla flavour.

http://www.nutribiotic.com/rice-protein.html
  • HisChild2011
    HisChild2011 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I feel ya! All the powders are a no-go for me. Strangely however I can drink the EAS lite ready made drinks. For some reason those don't hurt me. Go figure they are small and expensive.