Is Barefoot Running good for "Optimals"?

Options
(Having a bit of a laugh with the "Optimals" & "Sub-optimals" tags. Don't let anyone tell you you're too tall). :wink:

I have never been a runner, EVER. I high school I was always last on runs. Swimming, Basketball & strength training was where I excelled. But I recently can across the phenomenon of "barefoot running" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barefoot_running). It slaim help use a more natural, short-stride running style (like most amateur middle distance runners) I bought a pair of VIVO barefoot, mainly for my skateboard, but I thought I'l give it a try.

I've just come back form a 10 minute run at the local park. Felt good. Bouncing of the ball of the foot, running on grass and focusing on the back half of the stride (like a shuffle), help alleviate the crunch of my big frame on my knees and ankles. So far so good. I'll let you all know how it goes.

:smile:

Has anyone else tried barefoot running? Any optimals out there that have mastered running, and have tips?

Replies

• ChristophHewett
    ChristophHewett Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I've been using the shoes for two weeks now, and I;ve come to two conclusions.

The first - I will never be a runner. I went jogging one and managed ten minutes which I was pretty happy with. Whern I went out the second time my joint were struggling within a minute.

The second - Barefoot shoe are great for all round fitness. I started wearing them just for skateboarding, but now I wear them to the Gym and the occational (short) walk. This morning I wore them cycling. The feel really great - kind of like a corrective shoe that doesn't do the correcting for you. Best to only do it in short burst becasue you do need to consintrait on what your feet are doing. too much pounding on pavement will bring you unstuck, but bouncing off the toes or on grass is great.

My wife has noted a radical change in my calf muscles and hips/core, which we've atributed to the shoes and the general balance work I've been doing.

For more info about barefoot walking, here is the brand that I bought, but there are many.
    http://www.vivobarefoot.com/
  • Justine13
    Justine13 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried them but i have talked to people i run with and they say they are great. to just make sure that they fit properly.
    Glad to hear what you thought of them. :0)