recomended weight gain

Options
Where do you fall in the weight gain target? My goal is to gain a total of 20 pounds; my midwife thinks it should be 25. So far I have gained 3 pounds and am 18 weeks.

Guidelines from the American Pregnancy Association
* 25-35 pounds if you were a healthy weight before pregnancy, with a BMI of 18.5-24.9.
* 28-40 pounds if you were underweight before pregnancy with a BMI of less than 18.5.
* 15-25 pounds if you were overweight before pregnancy with a BMI of 25-29.9.
* 11-20 pounds if you were obese before pregnancy with a BMI of over 30.

Replies

• MrsJax11
    MrsJax11 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I am in the 15-25 lb gaining range...and will talk to the doc about this today. I think I have gained 1 lb so far....I was fluctuating between 179.5 and 180.5, but have been steady at 180.6 for three days now. Not too bad...I am just around 8 weeks...
  • gisele246
    gisele246 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have a BMI of 30 and my dr wants me to aim for 10 lbs. I gained 30 with my 1st and had gd so i'm hoping for the best here with the lower weight gain this time. Last time I wasn't counting calories like I am now.
  • millionsofpeaches
    Options
    I fall in the 25-35 lb range... I am not really over thinking it. So somewhere between there sounds good but I would not want to gain any more than 35 lbs. Right now I am almost 16 weeks and I have gained 3 lbs. The only time I weigh myself is at the doctors office. I am not letting my weight gain get to me... I log my calories to make sure I am eating enough and I am not taking on the "eating for two" mentality.
  • Lunarokra
    Lunarokra Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I think either of these two categories are ok, my goal max weight is 20 but my initial goal was 15. I am 28 wks & have gained 10lbs so far.

15-25 pounds if you were overweight before pregnancy with a BMI of 25-29.9.
    * 11-20 pounds if you were obese before pregnancy with a BMI of over 30.

~Brenda~