The Price of Being Overweight

Options
I just read this article on MSN and thought it would be intersting/motivating to get everyone moving this week!

Take a look...

http://fitbie.msn.com/slideshow/price-being-overweight

Amelia:smile:

Replies

• Ready2BEthin
    Ready2BEthin Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I read this article.. so INSANE! lol I thought wow, I never really considered those things like gas costs being more. I guess it does make sense. I thought of the fact that ive been obese for like 6 years at almost $5,000 a year thats like $30,000 it may have cost me. Could be exagerrated by some but its def cost some. I have seen in stores where clothes for plus size were a few dollars more then the regular size. Thanx for posting for the group :)
  • Saezimmerman
    Saezimmerman Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    This is a great article. Thanks for sharing. It seems to me that they were careful to stick to highly measurable data points. I think the costs are actually much higher than they say.
    For instance, the article looks at the costs of chronic illness related to excess weight but does not take into account the increased probability of a catastrophic medical event related to obesity. An overweight person that trips and falls (like I did today) is more likely to suffer a broken bone due to the increased force that is placed on the body during the event. It's a little difficult to find the statistics online, but the physics is relatively obvious.