Protein Bars

Options
yasemasuyo
yasemasuyo Posts: 177 Member
As a vegetarian, I know I don't always eat enough protein. Since signing up to MFP this became quite clear thanks to the diary breakdown, and so I looked for an easy but tasty protein snack to boost my intake without adding too many calories or fat. Most people seem to drink protein shakes, and I've tried a few but was unable to swallow them! Something about the texture? I don't know, but they make me want to throw up!

Anyway, I've come across some protein bars that are really pretty good! They don't contain as much protein as the shakes but, at 7.3/8g (and 145/148kcal) per bar, they do the trick for me. They are Meiji Perfect Plus Protein Diet bars, and come in two flavours (chocolate and yogurt berry). I like the fact that they are chewy - and crunchy - for some reason this makes them more satisfying! As I'm so busy in the morning trying to get the kids ready and out the door, these make a good, early morning snack to tide me over until I can sit down and eat properly!

I buy mine in the drugstore section of Marunaka, in the diet food section, and they are in an orange box containing six bars (three of each flavour). Oh, and they are about 1,200 yen a box.

Do any of you have any other recommendations? I'd love to hear them!

Replies

• natika33
    natika33 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Oh, I'm glad you mentioned you were a vegetarian because I've been thinking of adding some recipes and now I know I should include non-meat options. Do you eat fish? Maybe that seems like a stupid question, but some people don't consider fish to be a meat...

I'll look out for non-meat protein sources as inspiration for you. I know they sell whey powder at some of the sports/athletic stores. Have you tried adding that to your regular meals?