Real or Fake?

Options
mikajoanow
mikajoanow Posts: 584 Member
Trees of course. What did you think I was talking about?

For those with a Christmas/Yule/Jul/Holiday tree. :D

Replies

• poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Growing up we always had real. Hubby and I have a scrawny fake one for now.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    I have to admit I LOVE a fake tree, I grew up with it and when I got older I decided to try a real one...............not for me though lol. Needles everywhere, hard to hang ornaments on, you have to remember to water it, didn't shape very well and you have to throw it away. I can appreciate people wanting a real tree but it's just not for me.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I prefer a real tree but I have a fake one so I put it up every year.
  • mikajoanow
    mikajoanow Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I have to admit I LOVE a fake tree, I grew up with it and when I got older I decided to try a real one...............not for me though lol. Needles everywhere, hard to hang ornaments on, you have to remember to water it, didn't shape very well and you have to throw it away. I can appreciate people wanting a real tree but it's just not for me.

I have found a happy med. I put up real garland but have a fake tree. I have a fake one because not only is it a mess, I simply don't want to afford a new huge tree every year that will fit in my living room with really high vaulted ceilings. The windows in there are huge and it looks silly to have a smaller tree in there.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I love the smell of real trees! We also make it a fun tradition of all going to pick one out together.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    fake. Saves having to get a new one each year, and saves having to dispose of it after
  • mvilla2426
    Options
    Thank you for including Yule!! My Yule tree is fake. Less mess!!! Although this year since Dexter is deployed, I've opted not to put anything up.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Real.

When I didn't have room, I had those little rosemary trees (then dried the rosemary for use during the year). This year we managed to make room for a little 4 foot tree, but couldn't find a live one, so we're going to buy one this spring and keep it in a pot in the yard (I live the PacNW so fir trees are commonly planted around here and easy to keep alive from Yule to Yule).
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I love our fake one, my mum and dad bought it together when they first got married and it's been out family tree ever since. I love my christmas tree, it's more special when you get to keep it and use it year after year (:
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    every time ive got a real tree, its been with the intention of keeping it alive for next year, but somehow they always die. Im normally good with plants but i cant keep a xmas tree alive for love nor money
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    every time ive got a real tree, its been with the intention of keeping it alive for next year, but somehow they always die. Im normally good with plants but i cant keep a xmas tree alive for love nor money

do you mean a living tree in a pot?
  • poisongirl6485
    Options

I'm confused. Do you get the tree with the roots still on it? If you're getting a cut tree, there's no way to keep it alive for a year.
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    REAL!! They smell good, and they're cheaper!! :bigsmile:
  • poisongirl6485
    Options

Cheaper? We got real trees every year until last year, and always spent $50-75 for a decent tree.

My fake tree was cheapie cheap at $30.

Even if the real one is cheaper at the time than a fake one, you don't keep buying a fake one year after year.
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options

Cheaper? We got real trees every year until last year, and always spent $50-75 for a decent tree.

My fake tree was cheapie cheap at $30.

Even if the real one is cheaper at the time than a fake one, you don't keep buying a fake one year after year.

Really?? My real tree last year was $20, and the fake ones I saw were $50+... But yes, in the long run it is cheaper, since you don't replace them yearly! But the smell... AND you don't have to assemble the things, or store the tree during off-season... the list goes on :wink:

...I also like the experience of picking out a tree... call me silly, but I feel like I'm giving the tree a "home" or something... I tend to anthromorphize things a LOT. :laugh:
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    We live in Oregon. We can pick up a tree on any corner for $30 or less.
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    I want one of those coloured ones from Big Lots. they're like $50-100 i think.

i can't decide if i want purple or pink though...
  • _beachgirl_
    _beachgirl_ Posts: 3,865 Member
    Options
    Real.
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Real. We tried fake for a couple years and it was not the same for us. Just not Christmas w/o that real tree smell.
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I want one of those coloured ones from Big Lots. they're like $50-100 i think.

i can't decide if i want purple or pink though...

They have the 4ft ones for like $15 :)