who should i go see?

Options
RonneyKay
RonneyKay Posts: 464 Member
So I have been doing a little reasearch on this, and I'm noticing I do have some of the "symptoms" with the way my legs are and my hands and whatnot... So I am now wondering if this is why my knees are effed up (aside from the massive weight they are trying to hold up) and are easily injured, as well as my ankles (have had problems with this since I was a kid)

so I am wondering who do I go see about this?

Thanks!
ronney

Replies

• gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    Options
    Firstly, my Podiatrist told me the other day that 1 in 10 people have Hypermobility ... so my first advice is keep a cool head (I don't know you well enough) and realise the good news.

I am finding more and more that I should have been a Gymnast, Dancer, Swimmer or some other person that flexibility is useful for, so I am going to work out what my body has destined for me and turn myself around. The good news may be that while some people may be meant to run, you and I may be born to fly, or dance or swim or whatever. It is also likely that with rehabilitation, that we can run too. Running can be over-rated, and it does impact the body quite a bit too. I am interested in becoming a Yoga or Pilates instructor.

In weight loss, I did not do enough strength training (cuz I am lazy by nature - old habits lol) I lost a lot of muscle. This muscle was supporting my joints better.

That said, start with your foundations ... get your feet check by a podiatrist. When ringing around to chose one, ask if they understand Hypermobility. If not, call the next one. And so on.

Do the same questioning with a Physiotherapist and a Medical Doctor, and work with all 3 of them to get yourself walking forward so to speak.

I like you, love trekking around nature, so hang in there, get your problems sorted, it will take a while, but now we are both on this path we can share ideas and progress and check up on each other.

I'm now enjoying my at home Physio exercises and turning it into a fun little program working my body and examining and reviewing my limits and goals almost daily. Mixed with the music I love in the MP3 - well I am LOVING IT.

In short, do I suffer from Hypermobility ? No, I am enjoying it !

[edit: hmmm, may change that last statement. Getting the joint pain thing happening. Blues set it. Will have to force myself to be positive. I will get through this and I will help others!]
  • RonneyKay
    RonneyKay Posts: 464 Member
    Options

Yea I don't really have the patience for that:/ unfortunately. I think this past year and my meniere's disease has really did me in, it took so long to get that diagnosis I am not ready to go through a big long process again:( I just can't do it.

However, I am finding that now that I am regularly exercising I am feeling better so I must be doing something right:) I will just keep on keeping on, its about all I can do.

Thank you for your input though and when I do decide to go through all that again, now I know what to do:) I wanna try a hike today. But will probably just do the Michael Jackson Experience today. I need to see if hubbie wants to go hiking, my knee is still weak so I definitely don't think I should go alone.

Ronney
  • mamatonine
    Options
    I have almost all of the symptoms of Ehlers Danlos, and so do several members of my family. It is genetic, so I told my doctor and he agreed. He referred me to a geneticist and he did a very in depth exam and asked me about an hours worth of questions. He drew a map of my family and by the time we were done I had a diagnosis. It was actually very simple and straightforward. Then I had to have a bunch of blood testing done to make sure that I didn't have the life threatening vascular type. Check out www.ednf.org for more info.
  • gazz777au
    gazz777au Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Firstly, my Podiatrist told me the other day that 1 in 10 people have Hypermobility ... so my first advice is keep a cool head (I don't know you well enough) and realise the good news.

I am finding more and more that I should have been a Gymnast, Dancer, Swimmer or some other person that flexibility is useful for, so I am going to work out what my body has destined for me and turn myself around. The good news may be that while some people may be meant to run, you and I may be born to fly, or dance or swim or whatever. It is also likely that with rehabilitation, that we can run too. Running can be over-rated, and it does impact the body quite a bit too. I am interested in becoming a Yoga or Pilates instructor.

In weight loss, I did not do enough strength training (cuz I am lazy by nature - old habits lol) I lost a lot of muscle. This muscle was supporting my joints better.

That said, start with your foundations ... get your feet check by a podiatrist. When ringing around to chose one, ask if they understand Hypermobility. If not, call the next one. And so on.

Do the same questioning with a Physiotherapist and a Medical Doctor, and work with all 3 of them to get yourself walking forward so to speak.

I like you, love trekking around nature, so hang in there, get your problems sorted, it will take a while, but now we are both on this path we can share ideas and progress and check up on each other.

I'm now enjoying my at home Physio exercises and turning it into a fun little program working my body and examining and reviewing my limits and goals almost daily. Mixed with the music I love in the MP3 - well I am LOVING IT.

In short, do I suffer from Hypermobility ? No, I am enjoying it !

[edit: hmmm, may change that last statement. Getting the joint pain thing happening. Blues set it. Will have to force myself to be positive. I will get through this and I will help others!]

Back on here with a new screen name. Not enjoying it. Time for miracles me thinks. We will see as to why I have this.
  • JoyfullMovement
    JoyfullMovement Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    In my area' a physical therapist is most likely to have knowledge of Hypermobility.
  • kayleefrye2012
    Options
    I got diagnosed in Hematology.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    It was a physio that diagnosed me.
  • lauralou93a
    lauralou93a Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Rheumatologist diagnosed me then Physio gave me strengthening exercises my HMS is relatively inactive at the mo re pain good luck, know your limets and work with them and use pacing in everyday life speak to drs about any pain management and good luck my dad has meneirs disease I know it can be awfull