New to the Nebraska Group

Options
I am looking for other Nebraska fitness pal friends.

Please add me!

Anyone in the Omaha area getting into running? Just completed my first 5K on Thanksgiving, and looking to run a lot more.

Replies

• dawnrford
    dawnrford Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi there. Congrats on finishing your first 5K! I live here in Omaha and love to run. I did a 10K back in September as part of the Omaha Marathon. Hoping to do a 1/2 marathon at the LIncoln Marathon in May. I'm not usually a competetive runner, run more for fitness and pschy...better than prozac :) I use a treadmill mostly in inclimate weather but love to get outside when I can.
  • marnijojo
    marnijojo Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Do you know when that Half is in May? I have been looking for one to do in the spring...it is a little later than I wanted, but that's okay. I had planned on doing my first half in December, but had a little health issue that messed up my training schedule.

Please feel free to add me...maybe we can even meet up for some runs in Nebraska!
  • pfordne
    pfordne Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've completed the 1/2 marathon in Lincoln twice (2008 and 2009). The weather was perfect both times. I started the race with a light jacket and shed that about 3 miles in. I already signed up for this year. I had only started running fall 2007 and then gave it up when I got pregnant with my son in August 2009. I am getting back in the groove now though I want to get new shoes. I tried a pair of gravity defiers; spring in the heel is supposed to propel you forward. I don't think they are very flexible or light, but they have worked well for lifting weights. The race fills up fast, so sign up soon. They've increased the the size to 10,000. I'd love to coordinate to meet before the race if anyone else here signs up.

Hal Higdon has a 12 week novice training plan that I followed the other two times. That would put the start of training around February 12th.

http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm

Lincoln haa both a 5k and 10k race about the same time he suggests running those races. For those in Lincoln it is convenient. Now I live in Kearney so I don't know if I'd drive there for them.
  • cmcravens
    cmcravens Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am also in Omaha. I just started jogging on the treadmill. I'm doing a little at a time. I do feel alot better, more energy, and a clearer mind. I have never jogged or run a 3K, but I did walk a 3K in CA. with the Susan B. Breast cancer. I have heard some things lately about them so I stopped. I really would like to do one with the Diabetes Assoc. But everytime I check into one they had just done one. I don't know about a 1/2 Marathone. I watch it done on the biggest loser program, and I can see myself doing one, but its just getting involved and knowing how to train and sign up for one. How knows maybe I'll see one of you guess at one, one year maybe even this.
  • dawnrford
    Options
    Do you know when that Half is in May? I have been looking for one to do in the spring...it is a little later than I wanted, but that's okay. I had planned on doing my first half in December, but had a little health issue that messed up my training schedule.

Please feel free to add me...maybe we can even meet up for some runs in Nebraska!

The Lincoln Marathon (1/2 & 10K) will be held on Sunday, May 6th. Here is a link to their site.
    http://www.lincolnrun.org/races/marathon/
    A friend and I are doing it together. Training for it right now is a challenge because of the cold but I've been able to get more this year than last since we haven't had much snow. Otherwise I use a treadmill. I'd much rather get outside!

1375796.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • dawnrford
    Options
    Hello, I am also in Omaha. I just started jogging on the treadmill. I'm doing a little at a time. I do feel alot better, more energy, and a clearer mind. I have never jogged or run a 3K, but I did walk a 3K in CA. with the Susan B. Breast cancer. I have heard some things lately about them so I stopped. I really would like to do one with the Diabetes Assoc. But everytime I check into one they had just done one. I don't know about a 1/2 Marathone. I watch it done on the biggest loser program, and I can see myself doing one, but its just getting involved and knowing how to train and sign up for one. How knows maybe I'll see one of you guess at one, one year maybe even this.

I started out slowly. I didn't just wake up one morning and decide I was gonna be a runner. The Army kind of thrust it upon me but it's only been the last 5 or 6 years that I've decided I really like running and this year decided to take it to a new level. Just stick with it! You will surprise yourself!!

1375796.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal
  • dawnrford
    Options
    I've completed the 1/2 marathon in Lincoln twice (2008 and 2009). The weather was perfect both times. I started the race with a light jacket and shed that about 3 miles in. I already signed up for this year. I had only started running fall 2007 and then gave it up when I got pregnant with my son in August 2009. I am getting back in the groove now though I want to get new shoes. I tried a pair of gravity defiers; spring in the heel is supposed to propel you forward. I don't think they are very flexible or light, but they have worked well for lifting weights. The race fills up fast, so sign up soon. They've increased the the size to 10,000. I'd love to coordinate to meet before the race if anyone else here signs up.

Hal Higdon has a 12 week novice training plan that I followed the other two times. That would put the start of training around February 12th.

http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm

Lincoln haa both a 5k and 10k race about the same time he suggests running those races. For those in Lincoln it is convenient. Now I live in Kearney so I don't know if I'd drive there for them.

I am in the race for th 1/2. I did the Omaha Marathon 10K in September. That was pretty easy for me. I usually run at least 6 miles three times a week. I don't think the 1/2 will be quite as easy but am looking forward to warmer weather so I can get out and work on distance running. I did hit 9 miles a couple weeks after the Omaha 10K but haven't tried that far since. Gets too dark to early. I think I'll check out the site you posted here. I really want to be ready for this.

1375796.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal
  • marnijojo
    marnijojo Posts: 235 Member
    Options

The Lincoln Marathon (1/2 & 10K) will be held on Sunday, May 6th. Here is a link to their site.
    http://www.lincolnrun.org/races/marathon/
    A friend and I are doing it together. Training for it right now is a challenge because of the cold but I've been able to get more this year than last since we haven't had much snow. Otherwise I use a treadmill. I'd much rather get outside!

1375796.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Thanks! I have it on my calendar - probably won't register until March.