Becoming a reality

Options
cbbarge
cbbarge Posts: 250 Member
I got an e-mail from the clinic today telling me that since I only have one more nutrition class to complete (next Thurs) they are forwarding my file to "the surgeon." I should be getting a call for a consult with him in the next week or so. They have already said that the surgery schedule is booking for the end of January. I'm ok with that because my sister is visiting the 2nd week in January and I don't want to be recovering from sugery when we could be drinking margaritas on the Riverwalk. So by February 1st I could be banded!

My only problem is that now that I've been pretty successful losing weight just with the help of MFP (19 lbs in 8 weeks) I'm having all of the second thoughts and asking myself, do I really need the surgery? Can't I do this on my own? Why do I want to have something put into my body that I don't really "need"? What happens if there are problems? Questions I'm sure many of you might have had as the end result got closer.

Since I'm a very pragmatic person, I know I need to follow through with the surgery. I've been in this same spot too many times over the last thirty years to think that I will eventually get down my goal weight without it. I could lose 10, maybe 20 more pounds pretty easily and feel pretty good. I know because I've done it time and time again. But eventually I'll "forget" that I'm not where I want to be and the pounds will start coming back and they will bring friends and by this time next year I will be well over 300 lbs.

I'm hoping and praying that the lapband will help me to not forget that my weight loss journey is going to be long and that the band is the tool that will helps the pounds and their friends stay gone forever. My head is ready for this but the rest of me is freaking out. Any words of encouragement that any of you can provide are greatly appreciated.

Thanks for letting me rant.

Replies

• sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I've been where you are with losing and regaining and thought that was always going to be my life. I was banded on April 13 this year and have lost more weight than ever before and actually belief in myself that this is it - I am losing weight and keeping it off for life.

along the way I am discovering a new self confidence plus a very surprising love for exercise. A day without a bike ride, a walk, a swim or dance is a pretty ordinary day now. And a bike ride needs to be at least 20km, and a swim needs to be at least 1,000m, and a well at least 45 minutes. And when it comes to dancing - I'm on the floor until the band or DJ stops!
  • vdegraff
    vdegraff Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I am so-so on my decision to go ahead and get banded. Like you, I lost weight using MFP -- over 35 lbs between June and October. After banding, I lost another 20 lbs. But I've beeen in a stall for the past 1.5 months, so I'm not seeing the benefits of the band right now. It is psychological. I am fitter. I know I've lost add'l inches, but I need to see it on the scale and I'm pretty sad right now. On the up side, I can't eat large meals. I CAN eat more than my nutrtionist said I would, but it is not enough the regain weight. My caloric intake each day has been 800-900 calories. I have increased that on the advice of MFP friends who say that my body may think I'm starving it and holding on to the fat. I don't know, but I am trying to increase my cals to 1200. Also, on the upside is the fact that I have not really had any issues thankfully. I can fill tightness when I eat soft breads or rice, but I just avoid or eat really small bites and chew chew chew. Thus far, no upchoking episodes yet. So long term, I am pretty sure that I will continue to lose weight, I just need to fight, fight, fight my way out of this plateau.

So good luck. I know that you will make the decision for you.
  • cbbarge
    cbbarge Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I got an e-mail from the clinic today telling me that since I only have one more nutrition class to complete (next Thurs) they are forwarding my file to "the surgeon." I should be getting a call for a consult with him in the next week or so. They have already said that the surgery schedule is booking for the end of January. I'm ok with that because my sister is visiting the 2nd week in January and I don't want to be recovering from sugery when we could be drinking margaritas on the Riverwalk. So by February 1st I could be banded!

My only problem is that now that I've been pretty successful losing weight just with the help of MFP (19 lbs in 8 weeks) I'm having all of the second thoughts and asking myself, do I really need the surgery? Can't I do this on my own? Why do I want to have something put into my body that I don't really "need"? What happens if there are problems? Questions I'm sure many of you might have had as the end result got closer.

Since I'm a very pragmatic person, I know I need to follow through with the surgery. I've been in this same spot too many times over the last thirty years to think that I will eventually get down my goal weight without it. I could lose 10, maybe 20 more pounds pretty easily and feel pretty good. I know because I've done it time and time again. But eventually I'll "forget" that I'm not where I want to be and the pounds will start coming back and they will bring friends and by this time next year I will be well over 300 lbs.

I'm hoping and praying that the lapband will help me to not forget that my weight loss journey is going to be long and that the band is the tool that will helps the pounds and their friends stay gone forever. My head is ready for this but the rest of me is freaking out. Any words of encouragement that any of you can provide are greatly appreciated.

Thanks for letting me rant.

I have a surgery date----February 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • TeresaWash
    Options
    I was in the same position. That was 140 pounds ago! I could have never done it without the band. I takes good healthy eating habits and exercise too, but the band was the key for me. You will be incredibley successful!! Keep up the good work!
  • AraceliRocks
    AraceliRocks Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your upcoming surgery!
  • sharifit53
    sharifit53 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Your questions and answers indicate that you are a lot like me. I am also very pragmatic. I also lost a fair amount of weight before the surgery, making me doubt my decision. But like you, I knew that I just didn't want to face another time of thinking I could do it on my own and finding out I wouldn't make it without taking this step. I just had my surgery last week. How is your experience going? Feel free to friend me.