Accuracy of BMR Tool?

Options
Just wanted to get some opinions on how accurate the BMR tool is. It only ask for height/weight/age/sex. But wouldn't a guy who is 230 lbs and 15% body fat burn more calories then a same aged guy who is 230 lbs and 30% body fat due to the fact that muscles use more calories a day? Or would it be too little to make a difference?

Replies

• FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    Exactly right. You can google other BMR calculators that ask for more info like body fat % (I did but didnt get much of a difference BUT my body fat isnt on the low end). MFP is definitely general thats why she is saying even to go over your BMR 100 or so especially if your hungry.
  • kikkipoo
    kikkipoo Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I did the one I found that includes body fat percentage in the figures and was only 11 calories difference from what MFP told me....so I'm good with that.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I just lost two pounds (thank you Olivia) and MFP says my new BMR is 1,193 but another calculator I used says 1305. I'm so confused with all this. After 2lbs lost should I reset my goals or wait?
  • indrani1947
    indrani1947 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    help please, MFP says my BMR is 1191, other sites say 1294 and 1373 I just dont know which to use

My BMI says I need to loose 6lb to get out of the overweight catagory, I would love to loose about 12

I've been struggling with excercise just to gain calories to eat to satisfy and on the 1200 cals MFP allows me I'm only loosing .5lb per week

will this method work better than the standard one