DC's Hot Chocolate

Options
Photoology
Photoology Posts: 121 Member
Anyone else find this race completely frustrating and not worth the money?

Replies

• kelley_m
    kelley_m Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    LOL...ok...I have to rant about this race.

1. The parking situation when we got there was crazy and we got there really early...I mean like 6am...no one new where to direct people and the parking staff people were walking around clueless like they were just arriving themselves...and that was for parking at the event...I have no idea what kind of headache off-site parking was like.

2. I will say they had a good amount of potter johns...both at the start and along the course and water too.

3. I was so annoyed though they clearly did not expect the turn out they had because the course did not feel well thought out to me. I was not ahuge fan on running on the highway and then passing my start point. I also thought it was odd letting the 5 k go before the 15k ( usually races are the other way around), however, once I saw the narrow path around the harbor I was glad we didn't have to share it with the 5k folks.

The one hour delayed start due to traffic and the ill-prepareness may be ok in the summer but in the winter it's a serious issue...

I will give them that it was there first time and the race was rather fun once I started running, the fondue was not bad at the end but I was telling my companions I could have paid less and we could have all had dessert fondue at the melting pot...but it will give us something to laugh about for a few months.

Probably won't do it next year and would definitely suggest a venue change that could accomadate more people and was metro accessible.

How was your run?
  • Photoology
    Options
    I adore your rant! I had to say that first...

My boyfriend was really confused when we got there around 5:45am and they were telling us to park at that lot next to the start line. Now I have to say it was awesome to park there, but clearly it was stated elsewhere that we would be parking in a garage. It would have been nice to know OFFICIALLY where we were going to park. I remember seeing people still walking to the start line when I was about at the one mile mark.... i felt bad for those...

The potter johns were awesome but I didn't need to use them... lol

The narrow path was RIDICULOUS!! I was part of the 5k people and literally, at one point, I stopped. I couldn't move forward... I felt like it was a mosh pit at a concert for a moment. I turned to some poor dear next to me and was like "sooo um is this really happening?" My first mile pace was OFF by so much due to my walking most of it initially.

Although it was their first time at the national harbor, I feel like they still should have had a lot more prepared. Traffic would always be inevitable but to have us wait over an hour to start in the freezing cold? I didn't have the same amount of fuel nor did my toes stay warm. I swear if I didn't walk the first mile, I would have had the worst pain in my feet from the need to force them to thaw...

The only way I will do it again next year is if they change location or drop the price significantly.

So there is my rant and I am glad I ran but I would have rather stayed home and warm in my bed...lol...
  • kelley_m
    Options
    LOL...the traffic thing was seriously ridiculous...most of the people in the 15k was like wish we ran the 5k and was just done with it so we could be done by 9 instead of just starting...
    I will say having numb feet made the first mile go by fast...lol

Yeah...my husband told me not to go and I went anyway and yeah...at around 8:30 I was like I wish I had just stayed home...lol...

Next year??? probably not I doubt they will be lowering the price instead they will promise a new and improved race experience...LOL
  • Photoology
    Options
    LOL...the traffic thing was seriously ridiculous...most of the people in the 15k was like wish we ran the 5k and was just done with it so we could be done by 9 instead of just starting...

Yeah...my husband told me not to go and I went anyway and yeah...at around 8:30 I was like I wish I had just stayed home...lol...

Next year??? probably not I doubt they will be lowering the price instead they will promise a new and improved race experience...LOL

I will only go, honestly, if they change venue... I am not up for another national harbor race..... Unless its with say 1000 people s 20000....lol

The Facebook drama though is hilarious though! Have you checked out their page?
  • Iluvchopsticks
    Iluvchopsticks Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I hated this race. It was badly organized and the route was terrible. Apparently I'm not the only one. There is a petition on change.org. I highly recommend signing it if you felt ripped off by this event. http://www.change.org/petitions/ram-racing-refund-runner-entry-fees-for-the-1232011-hot-chocolate-5k15k-in-dc
  • kelley_m
    Options

I will only go, honestly, if they change venue... I am not up for another national harbor race..... Unless its with say 1000 people s 20000....lol

The Facebook drama though is hilarious though! Have you checked out their page?

No I have not checked out the FB page but I will have to.

I did get the email RAM racing explaining all the issues that went down some within their control and some outside of their control...Can't say I am all that upset still I mean it was what it was...gotta move on...Great pic...