Running & Contacts

Options
bjbixler
bjbixler Posts: 258 Member
So here's the conundrum...

I've only had to wear eyeglasses for about a year now, I'm not blind but my my distance sight kinda sucks, and I've found I prefer to wear my glasses for most activities. However, I do not like to run while wearing glasses. The sweat makes them slip around, I can't wipe my sweat of my face, etc. But I also can't see as well when I run without them. No, it's not dangerous for me to run without them, it's just that I can't see details like leaves on trees, street signs until I get within a certain distance, etc. But now that the days are shorter I've noticed it's a bit worse at night.

I'm due for another eye exam next week and I was considering getting contacts. Does anyone have any opinions contacts vs. eyeglasses when running? My worry would be that if I got sweat in my eyes it could make my vision blurred or be irritating. Also, what about contacts and incliment weather/wind?

I'm also considering just getting a cheaper pair of glasses with plastic frames (current and only pair are metal) and toughing it out.

Thoughts?

Replies

• UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I hate wearing glasses when I run, I am not completely blind either but I hate that fuzz/haze because I can't see beyond a certain point. I want to get contacts, too.

my husband wear contacts. He told me he prefers to wear them over glasses when biking. He said it has never been a problem with sweat messing them up or causing vision issues.
  • skemery
    skemery Posts: 100
    Options
    I wear contacts all the time. I've never had a problem with sweat blurring my vision, just with the salt stinging like crazy when it gets in my eyes.
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I also hate wearing glasses when I run. I am blind without them, so I use my contacts for runs-always. They are great when it's raining too, because you don't get water ruining your vision. I've never had an issue with wearing them while running so I don't think it would be an issue
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    My biggest fear, being blind as a bat, would be my glasses falling off while running and not being able to find them. I would literally be lost without them. I haven't been able to see the Big E on the eye chart since I was about 10 years old.

I've never (*knock on wood*) lost a contact, ever, but if one fell out while running, I'd still have half my vision to get home. :laugh:
  • klewis81
    klewis81 Posts: 122
    Options
    I've worn contacts for 20 years and have played soccer in them every single time. They have never fallen out nor have I ever gotten sweat in my eyes. Contacts are awesome, you need to work with your opthamalogist to find the right pair.
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I don't like to wear my eyeglasses while running. They slip and such. I do wear my contacts and if needed, sunglasses. Sometimes the sweat gets in my eyes but I sweat like a wildebeast.
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    I'm with every one else. I only wear contacts when I run. I've never had an issue other then a bit of drying but I'm pretty sure that would happen regardless.
  • beccalucy
    beccalucy Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I wear both glasses and contacts and prefer contacts when running, it means that I can see when it rains/hails!

The only issue I've had is with the wind on long runs they tend to feel really dry after around 90 mins. You may be able to have a free trial to see if they suit you?
  • bjbixler
    Options
    Update:

Had my eye exam today and talked with my eye doc. He says I'm a good candidate for contacts and I have an appt next week to learn about them and get fitted. I'll get to try them for about a week before I have to buy a supply. (He rec the monthly lenses, and since I work in healthcare, a peroxide based cleaning system)
    It'll also give me a week to try them before I invest too much money. Fingers crossed they work for me!

Thanks for the advice!
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I've worn contacts since the 7th grade and have never had any issues with them in regards to running. I would hate to have to wear glasses and deal with the sweat and adjusting and whatnot, so I def say go for the contacts.

good luck with them! really the worst part is learning how to put them in and taking them out for the first time. they made me do it 3 times before i could leave with them lol
  • nsdjogger
    Options
    I like contacts for running better than my glasses. I've been wearing contacts for over 20 years and the advances in the material used to make and clean them is incredible! I've never heard of a peroxide based cleaning solution.
  • bjbixler
    Options
    ******************UPDATE****************

So it's been about 2 months now and I LOVE the contacts for running. Wore them today for 15 miles and didn't even know they were there!

I haven't gotten used to them for long hours though, and I'm not sure I'll be an everyday, all-day contact lens wearer, as I get headaches after 10+ hrs and my eyes just feel tired on the day after I wear them for that long, but for running they are indispensable!
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Sports and glasses don't mix..
    They bump around, slide down your face, get smudges when a sweaty hand touches them.

If its between glasses, contacts or going without, I recommend contacts all the way.

But last November I had LASIK and its the best thing I ever did. You never have to even worry about this issue ever again!! I highly recommend it.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I can't wear contacts, so it's glasses all the way for me. And yes, they slide around during exercise (not as much during running as during things like push-ups or deadlifts. And they get wet in the snow and rain, they fog up when it's cold and i have to wear a face mask. But that's life. I've worn them since I was seven (when I discovered that everything has edges!) I don't know if I would be a candidate for Lasik, as my eyes are actually different sizes.
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Go find out. LASIK places always give a free consultation. I don't think it would matter if your eyes are different sizes, as they dont give you the exact treatment for both eyes, its customized.
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I can't wear glasses if I want to see better than 20/80, so I've been in contacts for most of my life. I've played basketball and done lots of races wearing them without a problem. The sweat can burn a little bit when it gets in your eyes but I never had a problem with the contacts while running.

I'm glad it worked out for you. You probably shouldn't be wearing contacts for more than 10 hours anyway.
  • Floridaboiler
    Floridaboiler Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I am glad to see that you have been enjoying the contacts. I am also a long time contact wearer and I have no issues with mine while running.

Good Luck!