Weekly weigh in: Week of December 4th - 10th

Options
olivia3263
olivia3263 Posts: 263 Member
Hey everyone! I'm soooo thrilled to hear about everyone's start up successes! It's so exciting that we've finally gained control of this weight loss thing :) I thought it would be good to start a weigh in thread so we can all share our progress together. Remember that even though we have a better picture of the deficit we're creating, there will still be daily fluctuations on the scale, and your losses might not "add up" every week. It doesn't mean it's not working, it's just how the body loses weight. Sometimes we lose a lot, sometimes we lose a little, but the best thing we can do is KEEP GOING! One thing I liked about going to the nutritionist is it got me to stop second guessing myself. If I didn't lose one week, I would change things up immediately, not really giving what I had tried a chance. I would self prescribe many things based on things I read online (DANGEROUS) - one week I was actually convinced I had a thyroid condition and blamed my plateau on all the broccoli I was eating. Craziness.

Anyway, on to the weigh in. So this was my second full week doing things this way. The first week I dropped 4 pounds. This week I dropped 1.2! That puts me only 5 pounds away from my goal weight of 152 :) I know that goal weight probably sounds kind of high, but when I went to the nutritionist she tested my body fat and it was 24.6%. To reach a nice athletic percentage of 19% I would only need to get down to 152. My goal is to lose that by February because I then start to train for my very first marathon!!! And I want to be maintaining when I start training so I don't get an injury :)

OH! And I also readjusted my goals this week - very important. My bmr is lower so my maintenance number is going to be lower too. My BMR was 1497 when I started, now it's 1475. Doesn't seem like a lot, but it's changed my maintenance number from 1970 to 1918. Don't forget to do this as you lose weight :)

Have a great week everyone!

Replies

• kikkipoo
    kikkipoo Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    This was a great week for me even though I didn't start until Wednesday. I started at 160.0 and as of this morning weighed in at 152.4....losing a total of 7.6 pounds in 4 days.

Because of the big drop I decided I had better recalculate my numbers too, and sure enough they changed. My BMR went from 1450 to 1407 (43 cals lower) and my Maintenance went from 1800 to 1760 (40 cals lower)....So, my deficit is still around the same as it was before.
  • hormiga_nata
    Options
    Hi!
    I had a big drop, 3lbs! I'm 120.7 lbs.
    I'm getting closer to may goal and then to focus in body fat. My % I think is quite high for my weigh (it is all in my belly after two kids) . I have those scale that measures body fat and it said (today) that it's 26.7%, although used to be higher and i drop some since last week.

Thank you very much Olivia.
  • abetterliv
    abetterliv Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I dropped about 2 pounds since last week, and I'd say that most of this week I have been on this plan. I love being able to see my exact deficit every day, its much more encouraging!
  • olivia3263
    olivia3263 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    YAY! I'm so happy this is working so well for everyone. It puts a BIG smile on my face to see everyone's success :) Great job everyone!
  • nursenelson
    Options
    I have only lost .2 this week but I only started this new method on wednesday. I believe it will work.... I'm gonna stick to it! Wish me a BIG wt loss this week ;)
    GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF YOU MY FRIENDS :)
  • BackwoodsMom
    BackwoodsMom Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I lost 2.2 lbs this week using this method of calories since Tuesday. I'm really pleased because at 51 yo my metabolism has slowed way down! Seems like this method has kick started things.

Oh, and I'm hoping to run a marathon next fall so losing before training will help immensely!
  • jrditt
    jrditt Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I only lost 0.6 but considering the scale hadn't moved in weeks, I am okay with that. Hopefully next week will be better! I like this method but I do find that I end up eating more because I don't worry about seeing red? hopefully I get over that.
  • regthelittleone
    Options
    I lost 2.8 lbs this week!!! Yay!!!! ~ I was stuck at 135( since July). Finally the DARN scale is moving!!!
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I lost 4.0 pounds this week, but have only started this method a couple of days ago. Most of my loss for this week I am attributing to finally losing the water weight I was retaining from all that Thanksgiving sodium!!! Looking forward to seeing how this new method works. Eating at least my BMR each day is a new development for me.
  • lindajay3
    lindajay3 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I only lost .2 from my last weigh in so I'm at 141 lbs. right now. We were out of to em over the weekend and I didn't lig my foods so i plan on setting my calories today and using those guidelines this week.
  • Carolyn130
    Options
    How do you calculate the "maintenance" calories? I am sure that as I lose weight I will need to adjust that number.:)
  • Gee45
    Gee45 Posts: 171
    Options
    1.5 lbs lost but.....

A few weeks ago I gained a couple pounds(when I went over maintenance by a couple hundred calories) and haven't logged my weight since then because I won't until I get below the weight that is entered on this site. Yesterday I was .5 lbs away from that number which means I lost 1.5 in the week. The only thing is that I had a big cheat kind of day yesterday (it's been since xmas time last year that I have had that kind of day) and have gained 2.5 lbs from yesterday's number. Things are back to normal for this week, so we'll see how it goes and hopefully can report some progress soon. I hate that one bad day has me always up 2 pounds and it takes lots of work and effort and thrree weeks to get it off again. I'm proof that some people can't have a cheat day to break a plateau.
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    1.5 lbs lost but.....

A few weeks ago I gained a couple pounds(when I went over maintenance by a couple hundred calories) and haven't logged my weight since then because I won't until I get below the weight that is entered on this site. Yesterday I was .5 lbs away from that number which means I lost 1.5 in the week. The only thing is that I had a big cheat kind of day yesterday (it's been since xmas time last year that I have had that kind of day) and have gained 2.5 lbs from yesterday's number. Things are back to normal for this week, so we'll see how it goes and hopefully can report some progress soon. I hate that one bad day has me always up 2 pounds and it takes lots of work and effort and thrree weeks to get it off again. I'm proof that some people can't have a cheat day to break a plateau.

Drink a LOT of water. It is likely sodium causing water retention rather than fat. To gain 2.5 pouns of fat you would had to consume at least 10,500 calories more than your maintenance calories. Usually our binge days contain a LOT of sodium. Drink at least half of your body weight in ounces (if you weigh 200, drink 100 oz. of water), and (this is important) get back to your daily caloric and exercise plan as usual. Part of what causes it to take so long to lose the extra weight is because we let the guilt of the splurge to get to us!!! It took me a little over a week to get the water weight off from my Thanksgiving sodium binge (I was under on my calories, but still gained), but because I got back to business as usual, a little over a week later I had dropped 4.0 pounds!!!
  • kikkipoo
    Options
    Drink a LOT of water. It is likely sodium causing water retention rather than fat. To gain 2.5 pouns of fat you would had to consume at least 10,500 calories more than your maintenance calories. Usually our binge days contain a LOT of sodium. Drink at least half of your body weight in ounces (if you weigh 200, drink 100 oz. of water), and (this is important) get back to your daily caloric and exercise plan as usual. Part of what causes it to take so long to lose the extra weight is because we let the guilt of the splurge to get to us!!! It took me a little over a week to get the water weight off from my Thanksgiving sodium binge (I was under on my calories, but still gained), but because I got back to business as usual, a little over a week later I had dropped 4.0 pounds!!!

What she said. No way did you gain 2.5 pounds of FAT from one solid binge day.
  • LilLolo22
    LilLolo22 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say "THANK YOU" Olivia! I have been stuck in a plateau for FIVE months and I now think it's b/c I had been eating back my deficits on the weekend. I wasn't really paying attention, I just figured I was okay if I ate under during the week. I've already changed my #'s and did a quick total for last week and found that my deficit was only a little over 3000. Very eye opening. I'm going to start using your method today and will report back at the end of the week. You're awesome!!
  • Gee45
    Gee45 Posts: 171
    Options
    No, I didn't think that I gained that in fat. But it sure makes the water weight fluctuate having a higher calorie day. I was over 1800 higher in sodium yesterday. Today I'm having lots of water plus a protein shake for breakfast, one for lunch and then a normal light dinner. A higher calorie day never sets me into that mode anymore where you just eat higher for awhile. Thank goodness. :)
    I'm about 14lbs from goal. Even though it's mostly water, my fluctuations of 2 to 3 lbs over the last three month plateau is annoying, lol.
  • Ssocrrbabe
    Options
    Whoo hoo! this is soooo working! thank you thank you thank you!
    I dropped from 142.2 pounds to weigh in this morning at 139.9 pounds. Yes finally broke the 140 mark. I am liking seeing the green number just a lot more motivating! I am definetly gonna keep trying this way.
  • kikkipoo
    Options
    How do you calculate the "maintenance" calories? I am sure that as I lose weight I will need to adjust that number.:)

MFP will calculate it for you. Just got to the MY HOME tab-->GOALS-->CHANGE GOALS-->GUIDED. Scroll down past your weight info and select SEDENTARY (or lightly active if you have a physical job, but don't take exercise into consideration, only your daily routine)
    Then set it to do zero exercise and zero calories and then lastly on the drop down tell it to "MAINTAIN CURRENT WEIGHT" instead of Lose 1 pound a week, etc. Click done and you're good to go.
    Re-calculate about every 5-10 pounds both your maintenance number and your BMR for the best results...or as you drop you will be eating too much.
  • aspen1377
    aspen1377 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    My "day one Olivia Method" weight is 148.0. I fiddled around w my settings and numbers last week and started eating more (I wasn't eating BMR) but hadn't weighed. I'll be reporting back on Monday's.
  • vxmittyxv
    vxmittyxv Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Starting the Olivia Method today with a start weight of 152.4. Can't wait to post next week.