Cruising and Biking

Options
TDSeest
TDSeest Posts: 1,089 Member
Anyone ever done this? I'm thinking of going on the cruise in March: http://bikeandcruise.com/BC_More_Info_Caribbean.html

Has anyone ever toured with this company? My biggest challenge would be that I really would want to bring my own bicycle. I think the touring would be so much more enjoyable on my own equipment.

I tend to lose more weight when I go on cruises; I'm more conscious about the temptations, and I eat more healthy.

Replies

• TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options
    I think I'd contact them and discuss what kind of bikes they have - explain that you're a big lad, but a keen and strong cyclist, and you're likely to wreck the 7speed back wheels (it said 21 speed bikes on the website... ergo - it's cheap crap gearing and you or I would rip the hub's clean out of the wheel at the first hill....) At the very least, measure up your bike, and take your own pedals and saddle with you - set the bike up to EXACTLY your bikes layout re: saddle height above pedals, reach to bars etc... otherwise you're going to suffer.
  • TDSeest
    TDSeest Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I think I'd contact them and discuss what kind of bikes they have - explain that you're a big lad, but a keen and strong cyclist, and you're likely to wreck the 7speed back wheels (it said 21 speed bikes on the website... ergo - it's cheap crap gearing and you or I would rip the hub's clean out of the wheel at the first hill....) At the very least, measure up your bike, and take your own pedals and saddle with you - set the bike up to EXACTLY your bikes layout re: saddle height above pedals, reach to bars etc... otherwise you're going to suffer.

I agree.

I can easily drive to the port with my bike, which is completely tricked out the way I want it. With the 44-33-22 on the front, and the 11-36 on the back, I can climb virtually any hill, and maintain comfort. The 22-36 front back combination allows me to climb just about anything. I'm still too top heavy to balance well enough to stand and peddle, so I have to sit when I climb hills. I would hate to have to switch to the 21 speed from the 27 speed that I'm used too. Also, my saddle is the best for me. I can literally ride for 40 miles now, and not feel saddle pain.

I'm really interested in this cruise, as I'm also an avid cruiser. I've taken over 25 cruises in my life, and I've always thought that it would be wonderful to take guided bike tours on these islands.

But, I'd rather have my own equipment if I can.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options
    thing is, 7 speed rear gearing is really the province of the complete bottom end shimano or unbranded stuff, which is made of monkey-metal. I had a old, but top-end in it's day mountain bike that was fitted with Shimano XT 7 speed - bike was bought the year before XTR gearing came out, which dates it. I've still got all the bits, but my last new-old-stock XT 13-28 7 speed cassette is so worn that it looks like a component from an ancient town-hall clock! I bought the only 7 speed cassette I could get hold of last year, but in 4 rides I'd pulled 4 teeth off the 25t cog!! and before anyone asks, no, i'd fitted a new chain, so it wasn't new-cog old chain syndrome :wink: It's a shame really - as 7 speed XT makes great gearing for cyclocross bikes - the extra space between the cogs mean it seldom if ever clogs up with mud (unlike 9 and 10 speed in my experience - we DO ride some rather muddy stuff over here though :laugh:)

Only time I've gone on a cycling trip and hired / used bikes provided, it was a cycling holiday in Italy, and they had either Willier or De Rosa carbon fibre bikes with Shimano Ultegra / Campag Chorus kit available for hire, so it was a bit of a no-brainer really...