Half Marathon Race Pacing?

Options
Pebble321
Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
Hi guys,

I'm starting to believe that I will be able to do the distance for my first half next year (Feb 4) after an 11mile run on the weekend. I was slow, but I did it, that's my longest run so far!!

Now I am wondering about pacing for the race - should I aim to do the fist half slower then speed up, or put in some faster "intervals" with slower rest periods, aim for a steady pace throughout......? I just don't know what will be best for me.

The race is along the coast, 2 loops out and back and if the weather is like it was on the weekend (hot and windy) I will be running in about 25 - 30C heat with a reasonable breeze. That means I'll probably be running into the wind for the 2nd and 4th leg of the race. On the bright side it is almost completely flat, so I don't have to factor in any hills.

My main aim is to finish the race, but as there is a pretty small field and last year the slowest finishers came in around 2:20 - 2:26, I'd like to aim for around 2:20. I'm a slow runner so this is going to be a stretch for me - my 11m run on the weekend (same route, more or less) averaged out at 12 min/miles which would have me finishing at 2:36. Not terrible, but I would really like to finish closer to 2:20.

Any suggestions would be welcomed :)

Or, if you think I'm overthinking this and I should just shut up and run, I'm happy to hear that too!

If anyone wants a beachside race in Feb: busseltonhalf.com.au :smile:

Replies

• what923
    what923 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Do you use a heart rate monitor while training? I recommend using a program that dictates the pace to run at based on your goal race pace. Try this site: http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/index.php/articlePages/page/1
    It has a chart that will tell you how fast/slow to run for Easy, Long and Interval runs.

For my first the goal was just to finish (and it was very hilly too). I wouldn't put too much pressure on yourself for the first...it takes time to figure out how it works best for you. I think the biggest is (according to most running forums too) to not go out too fast. I started slower on my second and was surprised how good my time was (15 minutes faster than my first). Then over the summer I made a time of 2:15 so in the fall I wanted to beat that...went out too fast and ended at 2:22. Tried one more and followed the slower and steady form- had a PB just under 2:13. So I have run both ways...out too fast and then dragged the last half feeling like I could barely finish and controlled slower pace to start and still had energy at the end and an easier recovery. The latter is much more preferrable.

I would love to join you for the run except I fear I would need a second mortgage to afford the airfare :(

It might be tough to hold back if you are surrounded by faster runners but really focus on finishing. Either way you are healthier than if you couldn't run 13 miles. Also- long runs in training are meant to be done at a slower pace just to log the miles. Have you done shorter races? The enthusiasm of the day and being with other runners will take over too.

Congratulations on the accomplishment...it's always exciting to complete a new distance. I pushed myself to do 17 miles once this summer which is my farthest so far....all I kept thinking at the end was that it would be 9 more for a marathon. That's why they say it's more mental than physical because we need to block those things from our mind. Remember to enjoy the journey and you look awesome!
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Try a plan from Runner's World Smartcoach, you can find it online or there's an app for it. They take into consideration your current level and how many weeks you have to train and give you a detailed plan to get you there. I followed it as closely as I possibly could and came in nearly exactly at the pace they told me I would (2:16) for my first half. I plan to use it again for my second coming up in April to see if I can knock off a couple minutes!

Good luck, it sounds like a beautiful race!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    should I aim to do the fist half slower then speed up
    ^^^ This, it's called a negative split. Do the speed you felt comfortable with in your 11 miler for the first half and if you've still got "legs", go for it for the second half!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone.
    I am using a training plan from Runkeeper that includes pace runs and sprints and long runs etc, with guidelines about how fast to run them. The theory is that this plan equips you to finish in 2:30, so I'm hoping I can do it!
    I hadn't thought of doing the sensible thing and checking to see if it has advice about what pace to run the race, so I had a look and there it is - a negative split, just as you are all saying.
    Thanks heaps!