GREEN number

Options
amys31
amys31 Posts: 108 Member
Hi everyone...and thanks to Olivia for this. Ive actually been shown this through my bodymedia fit...it actually set me up pretty much to what you are suggesting. I like to add my exercise in so I multiplied my BMR(1414) by 1.2 even though Im moderately active during the day. So my total is 1616....I guess my question though is I dont quite get the green number...and why everyone is excited about it:-) Ive read and re-read the posts, but am still a little confused. Can somebody explain it to me?? ..pretty please:smile:

Replies

• olivia3263
    olivia3263 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    The green number (calories remaining number) is so great because it shows you your deficit for the day. It's helpful on many levels, but much like it is set up when using a bodymedia fit. We don't really need to worry about net calories anymore. It's simply about creating an average deficit each week to mimic the amount of weight you want to lose. People are finding that before, with their deficit already built in, if they go over their daily goal they feel bad that they went over their daily goal where as now, you can see how an extra treat or skipping that treat will affect the deficit. I guess most feel they are in more control of their weight loss, and I personally like it because, while I log all my exercise, I am no longer exercising so I can eat more. I'm exercising so I can lose more weight. I think it creates better patterns of eating and gives you the freedom (but also the accountability) to make your own choices.
  • kikkipoo
    kikkipoo Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    A lot of the green number hype is just mental. It's about positive reinforcement. I love what Olivia said how we are no longer exercising to eat more, we are exercising to lose more weight. So true. For some this won't change how much they eat or exercise at all, it will just be a modified way of tracking...but for me, I wanted that 2 lb mar every week and couldn't achieve it at 1200 calories so I had days at 800 and 900 calories and exercised 2 hours a day...but still wasn't budging til I tried this. I'm now eating about 500 more calories a day and I've dropped suddenly 8.8 lbs since wednesday. The green reminds me to exercise more, not eat less.
  • regthelittleone
    Options
    LOVE THIS!!!!!
  • amys31
    amys31 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    thanks Ladies...got it!!! :smile: :heart:
  • vxmittyxv
    vxmittyxv Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I agree. The green number no longer tells how much more I can eat. I look at it and think ok I need to exercise to get that number higher. Definitely an exercise motivator. Love it.
  • mcanavan05
    mcanavan05 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Im giving it a shot.. think i hit a plateau since joining in Sept this year. Went from 224.5 to 211-210, back up to 214, now at 212.5 today. Adjusted today to this method. Since you have to update your goals along the way I assume to will prevent future plateaus?
  • lena32
    Options
    Thank you, I would like to lose 2 lbs a week and now I know what I have to do. I need to exercise more, I was thinking about exercising only three times a week but I'm doing it everyday.

Thank you.:smile: