to reveal or not to reveal...

Options
paxetamore
paxetamore Posts: 399 Member
Funny thought popped into my head moments ago...

For the first time since joining MFP in July, I actually considered revising my ticker to reflect my goal progress and not weight progress. Ya know, where it shows how much I weigh in real life - eek!

Yes, I know we are all here for the same purpose, but advertising my weight to single men just seems so... wrong LOL.

Wait, that sounds a little off... I am not advertising anything, btw.

It's just that most of my in-person friends do not know my weight! One of those sneaky little taboos that plagues me, I guess.

Anyone else deal with truth-of-the-ticker or revealing weight?

I can't be the only one who has lied on my driver's license :blushing:

Replies

• Generalle
    Generalle Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Argh, yes!!!!! I totally know what you're talking about. I haven't quite worked up the courage to change my ticker though, maybe when I'm a bit closer to goal...........:wink:
  • VTXJOCKEY
    VTXJOCKEY Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Perhaps keeping an accurate ticker would also provide additional motivation. ????
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Ah, I don't care. I'm not really afraid to tell people what I weigh. It's a number and it means different things for different people.
    One guy who wanted to meet me asked my friend if I weighed less than 120. WTF...he's an idiot because most girls don't weigh less than 120. My friend laughed and said that he thought she weighed less than 120 and she was between 140 and 150. It's all a matter of perspective.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    The question I ask myself is do I reveal or not reveal my previous life as a fat lady should I ever find myself skinny and on a date again? I've seen the look men get in their eyes when they stumble across a fat photo or find out you used to be fat. It terrifies them. In some cobwebby back corner of their mind they always picture themselves a year down the road, chained to a behemoth.

I think I'll get laid, then tell them. At least that way if they bolt like a little rabbit I'll have gotten something out of it first.
  • PedmomJill
    PedmomJill Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    LMAO Mara-glad you found a solution. I've kind of been wondering that myself. Not sure how to handle that.

As far as weight, I don't care. I am not here to find a boyfriend. I'm here to get support and motivation to keep going til I get to my goal. That's what's wonderful about MFP-you can spill your worst fat secrets and most of us have been there, can relate, and don't judge. :)
  • paxetamore
    Options
    Perhaps keeping an accurate ticker would also provide additional motivation. ????

My goodness that had some snarl in it, sabertooth ;-)

Either ticker variety is accurate... one just tells the world what I weigh (the ticker I have used since joining) and one represents the pounds lost or pounds to go.

It's a social taboo along the lines of not asking a woman her age if she looks over forty. (your guess will usually be wrong anyway, btw)... or asking a man his shoe size :wink:
  • paxetamore
    Options
    LMAO Mara-glad you found a solution. I've kind of been wondering that myself. Not sure how to handle that.

As far as weight, I don't care. I am not here to find a boyfriend. I'm here to get support and motivation to keep going til I get to my goal. That's what's wonderful about MFP-you can spill your worst fat secrets and most of us have been there, can relate, and don't judge. :)

I concur! Mara's solution is grand!

Meanwhile, I am not here to meet a boyfriend, either. We are in a "singles group" though... so that little inkling of being self-conscience popped into my head. That being said, I have met many a wonderful, non-judgmental folk here, male & female, so decided to stick with the ticker I have because it works for me, real life weight exposed & all :drinker:
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I'm getting to the point to where I'm more proud of my accomplishment than embarrassed about my weight, even though I've still got 50 pounds to lose. The ticker, and my empty closet, are my trophies, and offer a bit of confidence that I haven't felt in a long time. If the weight on my ticker turns someone off, I'll never know it anyway.
  • VTXJOCKEY
    VTXJOCKEY Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    @paxetamore - No snarl intended. lol. Just my straight forward way of saying something. I'm quitting smoking in a couple days and my biggest fear is gaining weight. I use the exercise and nutrition trackers to hopefully help prevent that. But if I do start to gain, I'll put up a ticker too. ;-)
  • paxetamore
    Options
    I'm getting to the point to where I'm more proud of my accomplishment than embarrassed about my weight, even though I've still got 50 pounds to lose. The ticker, and my empty closet, are my trophies, and offer a bit of confidence that I haven't felt in a long time. If the weight on my ticker turns someone off, I'll never know it anyway.

And you should be proud of your accomplishment indeed! Great job!!!! You are an inspiration, and I like your view on it. Thanks :))