What foods do you find filling?

blueyegrl
blueyegrl Posts: 248 Member
I have to go grocery shopping this weekend, and I need foods that fill you up. I get hungry just about every two hours and I can't stand it! I'm currently doing "ok" with about 1,700 calories, but would love to go lower. I don't even know how people do 1,200 calories! I'm ALWAYS hungry. I'll eat an orange (which I love!) and then a half hour later I'm starving. I'll have black beans with brown rice and pineapple salsa, and a half hour later I'm starving. Oatmeal with apple juice concentrate, raisins and cinnamon, same thing. I've heard mixing carbs and proteins in the same meal are supposed to be filling, but not sure how to go about doing that AND keeping the calories down.

So what do you eat that you find filling? What is your daily calorie intake (average)? Do you find your starving at the end of the day like me?! LOL Just wondering what others do.

Replies

• I've found that quinoa is one of the things that really keeps me going.

Also, I find that I'm actually less hungry on the days I work out, so that may be something to try.
  • epona_mus
    epona_mus Posts: 207 Member
    My go to's when I'm starving:

- Apples
    - Nut butters
    - Steamed broccolli
    - Quinoa
    - Beans
    - Nut and seed bars
    - Raw almonds
    - Carrots
    - Hummus
    - Soups
  • blueyegrl
    blueyegrl Posts: 248 Member
    Thank you both! Fantastic ideas! I forgot about quinoa also! Actually looking forward to making my grocery list now!
  • mkmacf
    mkmacf Posts: 101
    I eat a lot of beans. Baked beans, bean salad, bean chili, chickpea curry, etc. I find that and a little rice or quinoa keeps me stuffed!
  • xtinalovexo
    xtinalovexo Posts: 1,376 Member
    I don't know if you eat egg whites, but I find egg whites filling!

weight control oatmeal
    apple
    greek yogurt with pb
    greek yogurt with papaya
    spaghetti squash
    loaded salads
    cottage cheese

i typically range from 1400-1600
  • allycat54
    allycat54 Posts: 67 Member
    I use PB2 as my go to snack. It only has 45 calories and I think 4 grams of protein. And it's so good :)
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    When I started here, I was not so much on the vegetarian side but I craved grapefruits! I would eat 1 or 2 for a snack because they were so low in calories and the same with oranges. I could easily eat 2 oranges for the low calories and they really filled me up!

I've read lately that the more nutritionally dense your food is the more filling/satisfying it will be to you.

Lately dinner is all of the veggies I can cram into my bowl. Mentally it doesn't seem like much when I look at it but I am literally stuffed when I finish. Check out last nights food diary to see what I mean.

Good luck to you!
  • Tofu, egg whites, and apples are big staples for me. I like to start out my day with egg whites and spinach; I find that if I don't have breakfast within the first 30-60 minutes of being up that I am off for the whole day. Also, a lot of times, our bodies signal us for hunger when we're actually dehydrated. So for me, I grab a glass of water first and then if I still feel hungry, an apple with some peanut butter usually does the trick!
  • I like eating tofu and broccoli stir fried. I love broccoli and could eat it all day. I always feel full after trying to eat a bag of steamed broccoli. Greek yogurt works for me as well.

I also am not as hungry on the days that I workout. Are you getting enough water? Sometimes I feel like I'm starving when I just need to up the water intake.
  • Quinoa as well... Yum!
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    To mend my ways after the holidays I have been making soup in my Vita-Mix blender. I start with a cup of cooked pinto beans and start adding in things like raw beet greens, raw parsley, raw peppers, raw carrots and before long I end up with 30 ounces and just over 300 calories! I am so stuffed that I have a hard time getting my daily quota of calories in!

It is kind of an acquired taste, but I am in in for health benefits.
  • Thankilates
    Thankilates Posts: 432 Member
    Quinoa breakfast, like oatmeal, but with craisins and also raw nuts mashed uP!

I love anything Indian food! Veggies and healthy sauces over brown rice! :)

I like eggplant pizzas! Super filling! They are basically eggplant sliced with red sauce and cheese sprinked on top! if you overcook them , they are like chips!

SMOOTHIES! SMOOTHIES SMOOTHIES!

APples and cinnamon...

Hummus, carrots!

Pad Thai! Noodles!

Soups, ww bread, and a GREAT BIG SALAD!

lasagna!

SPAGHETTI SQUASH!

Black bean burgers!

Fruit salads with granola!

WW pizza!

Tofu (only a couple times a month though!)

There is some, I know there are more, but I am running low on time! LOL will post more! Go check out Vegetarian Times.com! They have KILLER RECIPES ! Cheap and easy!
  • Portabella Mushrooms

Apples

eggplant

spinach

and soy cheese with rice cakes
  • Foods rich in protein keep me feeling fuller longer. Quinoa, tofu, edamame, lentils, beans and brown rice are among my favorites accompanied by loads of vegetables like broccoli, spinach, portabella mushrooms, eggplant and squashes. Today's lunch is pasta with roasted squash and fresh tomato with a side of sauteed spinach and portabella mushrooms, less than 400 calories but 13 grams of protein. Though I am a snacker, this type of lunch keeps me going for about 4 hours.

I do eat dairy products, which are an excellent source of protein as well. My favorites include non-fat milk, eggs from chickens I know and non-fat Greek yogurt.

All that together with loads of water and I stay pretty full most days.
  • hypersensitiveb
    hypersensitiveb Posts: 342 Member
    Lean cuisine butternut squash ravioli. 7g fat 260 cal 5g fiber. Oat meal as well is filling with fruit.
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,364 Member
    Lean cuisine butternut squash ravioli. 7g fat 260 cal 5g fiber. Oat meal as well is filling with fruit.

:o the butternut squash ravioli is my favorite. Its amazing.

For some reason I love Strawberries & Creme oatmeal with a handful of dried cranberries and about 10 glazed pecans. It makes it thicker and chunky (not so mushy) and definitely more complete/fortified.

my absolute favorite snack though is baby carrots with sabra sundried tomato hummus. I would be eating it right now if i hadn't finished the hummus yesterday.

so instead i ate some of the mild salsa and corn salsa from chipotle with about 6 chipotle tortilla chips (Really crappy for you, but it's 6...just enough to scoop up the salsas)